Agus35 Inspired Designs For Prosumer Cameras like DVX-100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 22nd, 2004, 12:30 PM   #1
New Boot

Agus35 Inspired Designs For Prosumer Cameras like DVX-100

I'm pretty new to this site, but I've been reading through these threads like a maniac ever since I saw that people were thinking about making their own 35mm lens rigs for DV equipment! I'm in the proceses of setting up a commercial shoot for a lounge out in my area and we're renting the mini35 system for the shoot, and I can't wait to use this baby first hand to help me understand its virtues even more!

Agus, you're innovation was no doubt inspiring, and there's now so many minds working on this idea you have to be proud to be one of the huge catalysts to this movement.

But the thing is, I'm shooting on a DVX-100A and my lens has a much wider diameter to begin with than most of the cameras that this setup was pioneered on. I've been questioning whether the CD spindle will really be able to accomodate my lens size well. And I'm worried about its durability.

I have read some messages from people working with the VX-2000, PD150, and GL2 cameras, but if i'm correct none of those have a lens as large in diameter as the DVX-100 has on it.

I wanted to start this new thread to see if anyone would post some pics of designs that are working with the DVX-100 or other larger prosumer cameras. Maybe even some angles on how they got their designs to function properly.

I'm only just starting to round up my materials to begin building my own, but i'm leaning towards only using more quality parts to ensure stability and reliability. I have already had a few pieces of ground glass cut into the exact shape of a cdr for use instead of the plastic clear cd's, and from what i've tested so far, it seems like the motor and cd mechanism should spin it without problems. I've also purchased blank plates of glass that i'm goign to grind myself using 5 micron aluminum oxide on the first pass and will finish it off with 3 micron for a superfine texture. And I have an already made 8x10 ground glass for a view camera that I will be testing as well.

Right now I'm trying to come up with some way of decreasing the size of the whole rig, but the cd method really doesn't permit that. I'm talking to someone right now about having a two piece anodized aluminum apparatus to be machined specifically around my dvx-100 lens that will go up the barrell all the way to right before the zoom ring, ensuring me that this will not separare from my camera. Of course I'm not going to rely on this as total support, since i don't want any additional stress on the frontend of my camera. I'm going to be using solely Nikon lenses with my setup, since I happen to have many prime lenses for my still kit. I've taken apart a broken nikon and have the lens mount and release button ready to be mounted onto my Agus35, so I don't have to be so nervious about any movement in the lens or the event of it falling off! I really like the Manfrotto telephoto lens supports right now as an option over having a rod system, unless I try to figure out a way to make a follow focus for this, which would be great! Has anyone thought about any options for that as of late?

So if anyone has any more pointers they can throw my way they would be much appreciated, especially if they have been working on designs for the dvx-100 or other larger cams. To me this is one of the best parts of guerilla style film-making, and it really can't be done without the help of more of your own kind, so please post something on this thread! Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Nick
Nick Conti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2004, 03:00 PM   #2
Major Player

James has made a static mini35 for his DVX100 (with help from the people on this forum of course)...

You can follow the progress in the Static Agus35 thread.

I think you'll be impressed.
I hope he doesn't mind, here is a link to his samples:

http://homepage.mac.com/dvx100
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2004, 03:38 PM   #3
New Boot

Wow I really am inpressed by the quality. No vignetting, doesn't seem to be any hotspots. It's funny that you would post about the static design first since I've just been flying through the adlu35 threads and seeing the potential in these models. The grain doesn't even seem to be an issue with James' design. It really looks wonderful! Thanks for the quick reply! Now I'm starting to reconsider my options and might go for the static mount at first. As soon as I start to get moving on mine I'll post stills and test footage to join in on the fun!
Nick Conti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2004, 11:16 AM   #4
Inner Circle

When you dress your glass disk be mindful to chamfer the outer circumference and inner centre hole edges first otherwise the disk may crack. I broke two of my Ohara disks before I learned that lesson.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:55 PM   #5
Trustee

check some of the angus/aldus threads...I just finished my "spinner35" for my dvx100 and it works really well...
Obin Olson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods