Home made camera designs? - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 9th, 2004, 10:23 AM   #196
Trustee

it's worth my time, I shoot projects in a matter of days not weeks months or years....I can see this working out well EVEN without Rob and Rob doing some nice software. All I have to do is build a cheap lowcost mini-atx computer with 2 sata RAID drives for storage use some type of camera mounting system and c-mount lenses along with Norpix Streampix software and I have a true low-cost HD system ready to shoot. at 10bit 4:4:4...can we/I do better? sure! spend more money and buy the JVC 3 cmos ROckwell sensor 1080p camera for 20 grand and then buy a HD deck for 30-40 grand and get an HD edit suite at 20 grand
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2004, 10:39 AM   #197

Good point Obin,

I should point out that I'm speaking for people interested in feature work. For people doing shorter projects, yes, it is indeed worth a different look.

Again, I'm not steppin on toes here. I love all of ya.

Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2004, 11:28 AM   #198
Major Player

this new modular camera will have 1 feature that will always put us ahead of the curve. we can upgrade it component by component.
If obin wants to upgrade to 1080p his major upgrade cost will be the new chip .and someone coming in will be glad to buy his 720p camera look what were doing. we are hand picking each component. with tests and scrutiny. the computers will get smaller and faster the chips bigger. you can,t go into a show room and buy a dragracer I,ts built from the best technolgy of that time. these cameras will be dragracers
Richard Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2004, 11:36 AM   #199

Interesting point, Richard. Very interesting point.

Forgot you guys were talking upgradeable.

Ohhhhhhh good showwww!!!
Old June 9th, 2004, 12:30 PM   #200
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Richard Mellor :
these cameras will be dragracers -->>>

That's a good way to put it, Richard.

The software will be upgradable too. Unlike a camera from the big guys, you'll be able to tweak anything you like -- or hire someone to do it. User interface, codecs, file formats ... it will all be "open".

Who knows, we might find a way to squeeze out enough CPU power to put a waveform monitor right in the camera firmware. Zebra stripes? On-the-fly viewfinder color correction? Who knows. And no one will be saying, "We can't add that feature to a camera in this price range. It will cannibalize sales of our $100K model!"
Rob Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2004, 12:37 PM   #201
Major Player

I think these cameras are more like computer equipment, really. If you want to resell it, it will be a big price drop as the new stuff will always be cheap. Not like in the old days for film camera stuff, it held it's value for a considerable time.

On the usability of the image stream for these industrial cams, I put it in the same category as scanned film. Not easy to use with a NLE but with some tools things can be shoehorned into some tools.

Obin, does your grabber software allow you to snap multiple frames in a sequence? I'm still curious about the noise factor on two frames .
-Les
Les Dit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 08:30 AM   #202
Trustee

yes it allows you to snap frames
Old June 10th, 2004, 08:34 AM   #203
Trustee

so Rob and Rob what is the word? do I need to throw down bug bucks for sofware(streampix) that's not even made for the production industry? or can I buy your software soon? I really want to wait till you guys have somthing thats way better then what you can buy today but I need this thing to work soon for HD projects...timeframe Rob and Rob??
Old June 10th, 2004, 08:54 AM   #204
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Obin Olson :
timeframe Rob and Rob?? -->>>

Sorry for the delay Obin, but I'm still trying to make some decisions. Can you help me with some information ...
  • How much is the Streampix software?
  • What is your timeframe?
  • What are the absolute minimum capabilities you need in version 1.0?
Rob Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 04:48 PM   #205
Silicon Imaging, Inc.

Epix framegrabber docs

Sorry if I gave people a wrong answer on getting the docs for the Epix framegrabbers. I posted them on my site:
http://www.siliconimaging.com/Specifications/XCLIB.HTM
This is only the docs!

In terms of universal coding, not tied to a frame grabber, you will be more tied to our cameras. Camera commands are sent over a serial port embedded in the camera link interface. Kind of a send string/get string that is common to all frame grabbers. There might be a little difference in how memory buffers are handled, but very common. The camera itself has registers to be written. Some are sensor specific, such as exposure control, and some are camera specific, such as setting clock rates.
Steve Nordhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 04:57 PM   #206
Trustee

streampix is $1200 maybe? not sure Steve should know

what I need now:

1: preview on desktop that can be used on a 2nd monitor/tv for the camera...like the dual head graphics cards have

2: capture at given framerate 24, 30, 48, 60etc

3: shutterspeed in NORMAL production style, 1/60th sec etc

4: capture to disk that WILL NOT DROP FRAMES with the RAW black and white image to save datarate to disk

5: low quality COLOR image for preview/monitor out on dual head card

6: plugin that can do a highquality bayer remover after capture and output to tiff files

7: normal vcr style controls that can play the clip that was just captured in color

gota run be back later
Old June 10th, 2004, 05:43 PM   #207
Silicon Imaging, Inc.

Streampix

Streampix sells for $1495. We bundle it with our cameras for less. It does one thing - record - and it does it very well. Nice architecture with the ability to do on-the-fly compression (probably not at the rates you want). They really understand system bandwidth issues and tradeoffs.
Steve Nordhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 09:46 PM   #208

check it out,

$65 c-mount to 35mm slr adapters for nikon, universal, olympus, canon, etc.

http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlineca...=1459&search=1
Old June 10th, 2004, 10:15 PM   #209
Trustee

that is cool but if your using c-mount and 1/2 inch chip or even 2/3 inch chips FOV without an adaptor with a reducer will be very narrow
Old June 11th, 2004, 02:28 AM   #210
RED Code Chef

Steve: I've merged your seperate thread with this one and
removed your post regarding that. All should be "ok" now.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods