4:4:4 10bit single CMOS HD project - Page 101 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Closed Thread

Old August 28th, 2004, 03:21 PM   #1501
Major Player

I had some fun tweaking the tiff file obin posted. Nothing great - just a quick level and curve adjustment(s). The second image is more neutral in its color.

http://www.weet.us/test.tiff

http://www.weet.us/test1.tiff

Anyway, just thought I would share :). I definitely like having the extra room to tweak the image!

----

Interestingly the highlights on the flower seem to be blown out....
Old August 28th, 2004, 04:19 PM   #1502
Major Player

Obin,
Yes that one :).
After I apply gamma 2.2 it looks really washed out, so I must assume it is really overexposed or it has been gamma corrected.
Could you take the same image at the same hour but 1 or 2 stops darker?
Old August 28th, 2004, 06:48 PM   #1503
Trustee

You are wrong, it was not over exposed and it looks GREAT at gama 2 or 2.2 .... you MUST add contrast on the DARKS and work all your colors how you like...you will NEVER get an image you like with gamma only..gamma is not an endall/fixall solution..i'ts one of MANY steps to apply when going for your final "style" or "look"...
Old August 28th, 2004, 07:10 PM   #1504
Major Player

Yes I agree about gamma not being a fix-all. I am, however, not completely convinced that the image isn't over exposed. The image is clearly showing blow out highlights and this is only with a simple levels adjustment.... this should not be the case with normal footage.

I'm honestly somewhat confused by the images that have been pulled out of the camera. Don't get me wrong they look great and having the extra latitude is wonderous for color manipulation. There just seems to be something not quite right. I can't lay my finger on it yet though...
Old August 28th, 2004, 10:58 PM   #1505
Trustee

I blew out the road just a tad so that I could keep the really darks...just like I wanted it...I would not call that "blowout" just exposing for the darks..but maybe some will not agree...
Old August 29th, 2004, 11:54 AM   #1506
Trustee

Steve N:

what is the fastest we should have the 3300 running at in CIneLInk?

I need a max number for CInelink
Old August 29th, 2004, 05:25 PM   #1507
Major Player

Obin,
please don't get angry, I'm just saying what I found.
If I apply gamma 2.2 the image looks really bad, just that...
It looks to me it is not linear at all.That is why I asked you for another picture.Anyway, if you are so sure about everything was perfect, I believe you.
No problem , Never meant to say you were wrong :)
Old August 29th, 2004, 07:25 PM   #1508
New Boot

Hey, I was wonder has anyone tried to use the SI-1280? Also can the SDK be compiled in mingw32?
Old August 30th, 2004, 12:57 AM   #1509
Regular Crew

Hi all,

Just to let everyone that's contributing to this fascinating idea - I've been keeping track of this exciting thead for a while now. I'm not a very technical person so try to stay out of the discussions to avoid adding unneccesary noise...

But I was wondering: when looking at the preview window while capturing images from the camera - is there any noticeable delay or lag in the 'viewfinder'?

I guess this depends on the quality of the de-bayer and the preview resolution.

Thanks and keep it up :-)

Barend
Old August 30th, 2004, 05:34 AM   #1510
Trustee

tiny bit of "lag" yes..not much..I think it's ok to shoot with
Old August 30th, 2004, 05:54 AM   #1511
Regular Crew

Hey guys,
i lost track of this threat a while ago and just tried to read through the last 10 pages...
well, wasn't there some site where you put together the f.a.q.s about this project and what you have achieved so far?
i follow this as a filmmaker and potential future user and have to admitt that this is way to technical for me (of course it is...)
you guys are doing an amazing job here, this DIY ethic is highly appealing to me and i think, once you have a finished product out, a lot of filmmakers will buy from you rather than from the big asian corps...
keep on keeping on!
regards,

christian
Old August 30th, 2004, 05:58 AM   #1512
Major Player

Obin,
Could you tell me anything about your experience with the Epix FG?
Is their SDK easy to use?
Are you using Windows or Linux at this moment?
Old August 30th, 2004, 06:05 AM   #1513
Major Player

Quote:
Christian Schmitt wrote:
wasn't there some site where you put together the f.a.q.s about this project
Yup, it's at ObscuraCam.
Quote:
Juan M. M. Fiebelkorn wrote:
Could you tell me anything about your experience with the Epix FG?
Is their SDK easy to use?
I know you were asking Obin, but I've used it too ... and I'm not overly impressed. It seems to work OK, but it's cryptic and complicated. Not easy to use. It does work in Windows and Linux (haven't tried Linux yet).
Old August 30th, 2004, 06:27 AM   #1514
Major Player

I'm asking cause, day after day, I'm thinking about using a better FG, with good capabilities.
You would tell me 'Oh, those FG cost a lot more money!!', and you will be right, but if that FG has a powerfull SDK, and if it has an onboard CPU, FPGA or IDE connectors I won't need to spend more than 1,5K bucks on a pentium M 2.0 GHZ with 2 GB RAM with a PCI-X slot and a riser card to get two (working?) PCI-X slots to be able to put a RAID controller.So that money will go totally to the FG.
Anyway that seems to be like finding the Holy grail..... :(
Old August 30th, 2004, 08:16 AM   #1515
Trustee

Rumor has it that all the FG are hard to use..I have talked with some that say the EPix is easer then most!! dunno maybe is rumor ONLY...but then maybe not..;)

Update:

I should have an installer for CineLink today so that I can test on the new machine that has a GIgabyte board with full spec PCI slots. ;)

We will be testing with 3300RGB and making changes for that chip as needed...I think I will stick with this chip for a while and see how things go as the Altasense seems to be a some-time-in-the-future project still...

Steve still no word on the MAX MHZ for the 3300rgb? I really have the feeling we need to crank this puppy UP above 60mhz because I can see lots of rolling shutter at 1080x1920 @ 24fps 60mhz
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods