4:4:4 10bit single CMOS HD project - Page 104 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Closed Thread

Old August 31st, 2004, 02:15 PM   #1546
Major Player

Software update

Check out the development blog -- I got the LCC1 ("Color interpolated image using Laplacian second-order color correction I") algorithm working! I put a sample image up that you can download, plus the same image as a pre-Bayer TIFF.
Old August 31st, 2004, 02:50 PM   #1547
Major Player

Re: Software update

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Scott : Check out the development blog -- I got the LCC1 ("Color interpolated image using Laplacian second-order color correction I") algorithm working! I put a sample image up that you can download, plus the same image as a pre-Bayer TIFF. -->>>

It looks good, but it's awful green. It seems like you're using the LCC1 as your Bayer filter? Is the green normal when the image has only been Bayered?
Old August 31st, 2004, 02:57 PM   #1548
Major Player

Re: Re: Software update

Quote:
Joshua Starnes wrote:
It looks good, but it's awful green. It seems like you're using the LCC1 as your Bayer filter? Is the green normal when the image has only been Bayered?
Yes, that image is using LCC1. I'm guessing the green cast is normal and it just needs color correction, but I don't know that for sure.
Old August 31st, 2004, 03:01 PM   #1549
Trustee

I don't see the image what is the name Rob?

also Steve:

Steve I would be very happy to do that with the ground glass BUT..this chip is so much less sensitive then the 1300 I am really not sure we would get anything that could be used professionaly from it..if it was the same as the 1300 it would work...argg ;)
Old August 31st, 2004, 03:03 PM   #1550
Major Player

Quote:
Obin Olson wrote:
I don't see the image what is the name ROb?
pixel_pcc1.tif
Old August 31st, 2004, 03:14 PM   #1551
Trustee

not bad Rob not bad...
Old August 31st, 2004, 04:26 PM   #1552
Major Player

What camera are you using?
Old August 31st, 2004, 04:27 PM   #1553
Trustee

I think I have made my mind up.

I am going to use the 1300chip for now and make a working prototype camera with case LCD screens software etc as a proof-of-concept and use it as much as I can to work all the real-world bugs out for production work...maybe even shoot a short film with it..by this time the Altasense will be out and I can buy that camera/chip and upgrade from 32bit pci ->64bit pci-x. I will buy the micro board now that has 64bit so that it is ready when the new chip and 64bit grabber are out..does anyone see any problems with this plan?

This will give me :

A: a working camera less the smear factor
B: keep things moving along even though it is not the final hardware so that I will be ready when the stuff is on the market from Silicon Imaging
Old August 31st, 2004, 04:28 PM   #1554
Major Player

You are on the right direction!!!!
The pentium M motherboard you mean?
Old August 31st, 2004, 05:14 PM   #1555
Silicon Imaging, Inc.

Obin, sounds like a good plan. It will also solve a big question for the group - is the 1300 smear managable in a real shoot? The only value in the 1300/3300 is in cost. Certainly people who can afford to move to the Altasens when it is out should do so. You will be doing the people who need to build a <$5K system a big service.

When I have real ship dates on the SI-1920HD and 64 bit Epix FG, I'll let everyone know.
Old August 31st, 2004, 08:14 PM   #1556
Major Player

Quote:
Juan M. M. Fiebelkorn wrote:
What camera are you using?
I'm using the SI-1300.
Old August 31st, 2004, 08:16 PM   #1557
Trustee

what is that hefty pricetag on the Altasense Steve?
Old August 31st, 2004, 09:42 PM   #1558
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Steve Nordhauser : Obin, sounds like a good plan. It will also solve a big question for the group - is the 1300 smear managable in a real shoot? The only value in the 1300/3300 is in cost. Certainly people who can afford to move to the Altasens when it is out should do so. You will be doing the people who need to build a <$5K system a big service. -->>>

This is what a lot of people on the board are looking for. As nice as working with an Altasens, a lot of people watching this thread are prosumer camera users (like me) who are looking for a way to increase production value without increasing our costs. For people like that, a sub $10,000 just isn't a practical reality. A sub $5,000 camera is just about doable, with a lot of scrimping and saving. If the smear problems turn out to be managable, that's something a lot of us will be willing to deal with.
Old August 31st, 2004, 11:00 PM   #1559
Trustee

BTW, Just for pricing info,

I'm blocking out $12,000 for a proposal I'm putting together to build a camera around the Altasens-based SI-1920/EPIX 64-bit card and a custom-built enclosure that should be somewhat ergonomic.

As of right now though, there's a very real possiblity that I'll be directing a project in October, which will require quite a bit of pre-production this next month-and-a-half, so I won't be building anything till this shoot is over-which seems good, because it seems as though the parts won't be available till then either!
Old September 1st, 2004, 03:47 AM   #1560
RED Code Chef

Steve: in response to your question regarding my field of view
note on the 3300 I wrote the following which I think you missed:
Quote:
Regarding the 3300 and FoV. If the full width of the chip is 2048
and you only sample 1920 you will loose a bit of the fiel of view.
Depth of Field will slightly change as well. Or was this the chip
with fractional row skipping or am I mixing up the AltaSens. One
of these had fractional skipping so to not reduce FoV, the other
didn't. And you would have to scale in software to keep the FoV.
You wrote earlier in the thread:
Quote:
If you are already going to use the ground glass for DOF, can you use the SI-3300 in 1280x720 windows? It would run at the same speed as the SI-1300 (same clock speed and frame rate) without the smear. Less sensitive, of course, due to the smaller pixel size. Less DOF without the ground glass. The reason the data rate is so high on the 3300 is that you are using it in 1920x1080 mode and that is a lot of data.
So I assume my point from above is valid in that the 3300
can't do the fractional skipping but the AltaSens can?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods