4:4:4 10bit single CMOS HD project - Page 121 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Closed Thread

Old October 7th, 2004, 05:59 PM   #1801
Trustee

Oh sure, that should be plenty of power. A 2Ghz Pentium M is almost as fast as a 3.0Ghz P4 desktop chip. Actually Intel has dumped the Netburst architecture in the P4 (Tejas), and will be building all future cores of the P4 (or P5) on the Pentium M core. The only thing that the Pentium M has deficiencies in is that the chipset doesn't run as fast as the dual DDR at 800Mhz front-side bus stuff that the desktop P4's run at, so you're memory bandwidth is reduced a bit. But as far as general number crunching, these chips are quite a haus.

Check out this thread:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...&enterthread=y
Old October 11th, 2004, 07:39 AM   #1802
Trustee

good..BTW I tested the 3300rgb and the preview looked great 1080x1920 1/4 quad..we now have the same problem we had with preview when I try and record data...dropped frames and slow preview framerate..fixing that...once that is done I will start to move forward with camera design!

I just found out that the new Epix framegrabber is going to be PCI 64bit NOT pci-x 64bit...anyone know of a micro main board that has a PCI 64bit connector NOT pci-x?? I can't find any ;(

my bad I just called axiomtek.com and they tell me it WILL work with a standard pci 64bit card ;)
Old October 12th, 2004, 12:07 PM   #1803
Trustee

UPDATE:

I will be testing new code today that should speed things up on the capture/disk write end....will keep everyone posted

4 weeks untill the 64bit card comes out..should be jsut about the right amount of time for final code writing ..I hope ;)

Scott how is your capture/convert app doing?
Old October 12th, 2004, 05:38 PM   #1804
Major Player

Be carefull, PCI-X is one thing and PCI-Express is another one.
If that was the case when you said pci-x (express?).
Old October 12th, 2004, 11:04 PM   #1805
Trustee

Yes, PCI-X is a 64-bit/66Mhz-133Mhz slot

PCI-Express or PCIe is an entirely different beast.
Old October 13th, 2004, 10:26 AM   #1806
Trustee

PCI 64 is what I will be using. THat is what the Epix 64 board will be standard PCI with a 64bit 66mhz slot
Old October 13th, 2004, 02:16 PM   #1807
Major Player

If it is 64bit/66MHZ it is PCI-X then.
Old October 13th, 2004, 02:22 PM   #1808
Trustee

not what they are telling me - they say it's a standard PCI card that is 64bit...

can someone clear this up?
Old October 13th, 2004, 03:23 PM   #1809
Major Player

Well, now I'm really lost.
It seems you are right Obin.There is 64 bit/66 MHZ support in the PCI 2.3 specs.
And the same and up for PCI-X which is a different protocol...
Old October 13th, 2004, 11:06 PM   #1810
Inner Circle

There are many versions of PCI, even PCI.org (I think that's it) the standards organisation diesn't list them all, there is even serial PCI. A right mess. I suggest that you contact their tech support (speak to somebody different ussually gets the answer) and if you get a junior that doesn't know, ask for a manager. Try to get the data sheets.

There is a 66Mhz version of standard PCI, I'm not sure of a 64bit version. I think there was a competitor to PCI-X. So it is best to google for an interface article (or go to Byte, Toms, Extremetech and anandtech). If your lucky PCI-X is backwards compatable with normal PCI64 and you can run it slower. Steve might know.

Rob.S

I have been extremely sicker (than normal) for the last 2-4 weeks and well behind and still feeling a bit sick sitting in front of the computer, so Rob hopefully I can get back to you in comming weeks about your request.

I saw an interesting (funny) site in New Scientist:

www.justfuckinggoogleit.com

Not having a go at anyone, but share it around.

What they fail to appreciatre is "why would I spend ... 6 hours googling it, when I can ask you in 15 seconds.com" (I should register that one, and sell googling services ;).
Old October 15th, 2004, 01:30 AM   #1811
Trustee

Yes, PCI-X is backwards compatible, it only slows the clock down on the slot (and you have to have a slot that is 3.3V compatable-I think; at least that's the way it is on the new G5's)
Old October 15th, 2004, 01:39 AM   #1812
Inner Circle

So the PCI-X slot will accept older cards at the right voltage? But wil PCI-X cards work in the older 64-bit slots at a lower speed? I think that would solve all the problems.
Old October 15th, 2004, 07:18 AM   #1813
Silicon Imaging, Inc.

The gospel that I was told by frame grabber companies (may be outdated) was that you can always put a 32 bit card in a 64 bit slot (providing the voltages are correct (3.3 vs 5) but it will slow the whole PCI bus down to 32 bit. The same is true for clock frequency. There are some odd combinations - EDT makes a grabber that is 32 bit 66MHz. Most of the high performance ones are 64 bit/66MHz. The Matrox Helios is 64 bit/133MHz.

Something I would be interested in finding out more about is that the newest Intel chipsets seem to keep everything off the PCI bus but peripherals. You can have gigabit ethernet, 4 channel RAID and now PCI-e (express) and still never touch the PCI bus. Most of the time, for recording or real-time processing of video, the bus becomes an issue. Even on PCI-64/66 the Altasens can do it in very quickly.
Old October 15th, 2004, 07:55 AM   #1814
Regular Crew

we have completed our movie camera.

It shoot 720p / 24fps (global shutter) uncompressed to HDD and the CMOS pictures are amazingly. It looks like film, not like video.

With special optical solutions the DOF is near 35mm (lets say like 27mm)

The camera case have a build in rod support and the camera head (lens+sensor+servo drive for focus and up to 4 axis cranes) can removed from the body to work on steadi-cam or cranes. The connection is only a thinly firewire cable, and the distance can be up to 10m

This days a new firewire definition came out. This will be the solution for our next 1080p camera
Old October 15th, 2004, 09:57 AM   #1815
Regular Crew

Rai, this sounds very good! But you understand we'd like to have some more details... What chip did you use? What software and hardware are you using for capturing to disk? Any pictures of the casing?

Barend
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods