4:4:4 10bit single CMOS HD project - Page 151 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Closed Thread

Old November 29th, 2004, 09:58 AM   #2251
Trustee

that is not needed! this board can do it if it's got a pci-x slot! I am not sure why I get FIFO overflow but it is NOT the cpu and should not be the pci buss..I am sending all the stuff off today for our programmer to have it all in his hands to work on and finish the thing

BTW the Bolex lenses look AWESOME..much much much better then the c-mount CCTV lens I have been using
Old November 29th, 2004, 01:00 PM   #2252
New Boot

For sure the "FIFO overflow" error is software/drivers related!
As example - now I have similar issue -capture with DVIO.exe(a small,no preview,but RockStable capture application for IEEE 1394 ONLY)
gives me 100% CPU load and dropped frames in windows1* and 00% CPU/no dropped frames in windows2*!

* windows1 and windows2 are winXP SP2 installations on different partitions,not visible each other.
Old November 29th, 2004, 04:19 PM   #2253
Silicon Imaging, Inc.

Obin:
FIFO overflow means that the FIFOs on the capture card that buffer the streaming data are not being emptied as fast as they are filled. This means that you are running out of PCI bus bandwidth. On the frame grabber systems, the data is unpacked - 10 or 12 bits takes two bytes. The maximum pixel rate you can run at is 50-60MHz clock since that will put 100 to 120MB/sec across a bus that is rated at 132MB/sec max (not continuous since your OS likes to wander around, do some house cleaning, sweeping and ....washing windows at its whim).
Old November 29th, 2004, 09:49 PM   #2254
Trustee

Steve:
how come I can push 65mhz on one of the machines here at work? and the DFI board will only push 35mhz!! this does not seem ok ..am I wrong? when will the 64bit FG be out?

I am having a hard time taking this 32bit stuff much longer...
Old November 29th, 2004, 11:37 PM   #2255
Inner Circle

I don't think that it is the amount of memory bandwidth (lack of dual channel to split program from data might be something though). The amount of bandwidth that the card takes up (around 100MB's, to a number MB's persecond is a little like saying that the needle may overwhelm the hay stack, but that would need like a third party Elephant to try and sleep in the hay stack and sit on the needle, thus detroying the haystack in a rage to get out.

What Steve said is right, but I wonder why the same fifo's on a card have no problems in one machine and are in another (plus the speed issue), I still thiunk chipset issue, that the drivers have to handle. But doesn;t the chipset have it's own FIFo buffers to handle transfers to PCI bus devides?

I think the problem is that PCI32 capture cards (without compression, buffer or packing) are really like good for 720p.

Thanks

Wayne.
Old November 30th, 2004, 04:05 AM   #2256
Major Player

viewfinder

maybe everybody knows about, but:

http://www.elis.rug.ac.be/ELISgroups...s.html#mosarel

they have the reolution

merci
Old December 1st, 2004, 02:02 AM   #2257
New Boot

Obin, did you try these BIOS setings on DFI board?:

1. "Disable Unused PCI Clock" or "Auto detect PCI clock"
2. "PCI Latency Timer"

[Edit] something is wrong with the forum engine - long posts didn't pass...
Old December 1st, 2004, 07:05 AM   #2258
Inner Circle

Has a four or ten thousand character limit (forget which) ussually tells you that they are beyond x length.
Old December 1st, 2004, 07:34 AM   #2259
RED Code Chef

The maximum length of posts on this board is 10.000 characters.
You can use the link "[check message length]" underneath the
input screen how much characters you are using. If you need
more simply split the message up into multiple posts (which
usually is a far better way anyway).

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old December 1st, 2004, 10:30 AM   #2260
Trustee

looks like windows XP is causing the FIFO overflow..does anyone know of windows 2000 drivers for the 855 Intel chipset and some drivers for SATA that work on the DFI board? that is the only problem with 2000, the drivers for SATA don't seem to work and the system is running the drives in PIO mode.
thanks for the help
Old December 1st, 2004, 04:09 PM   #2261
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Lohman : The maximum length of posts on this board is 10.000 characters.-->>>

Then the problem is in my "TVset" :) -my "unsuccessful" post was about 700-900 chars...

Obin: here - http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/dr...ies=1&model=79 you'll find "Intel Chipset driver v 6.2.1.1001" and "Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition v4.10" -these are for all intel chipsets and all windows versions and not for Abit only.May be they are on DFI web page too...

You can try this trick on winXP (or w2k) :
start new installation (assume disk c: is fresh formated) and on the 1-st blue screen ,when you see the mesage (bottom) "Press F6 to ... bla-bla" press the F5 button! Then choose "Standart PC".
That way You'll lose some extras -no Hiperthreading,turn off is possible only by the Power switch on the case (press and wait 4 seconds) ...
However in that new installation the windows will be forced to follow the hardware desires and not bully them.
Old December 1st, 2004, 04:34 PM   #2262
Trustee

UPDATE

All hardware has been sent out to our programmer for final code writing and tweaking. As things stand we have the capture software working with 1/4 pixel quad preview in RAW 8bit color and Black and White. We have save to disk with 12bit raw files and 8bit raw files. We have 16bit tiff export. we have full control of the camera from the UI. the last steps are to get the software bug free stable and finish all the details of UI etc. After this it's a matter of getting CineForm or someone else to support the effort so that we can edit and do post work with the footage on a compressed version that will stay in 10/12 bit from shoot to final product.
Old December 1st, 2004, 09:23 PM   #2263
Inner Circle

Cool, Marlin, have to look information up on the exact differences, any ideas?

To All:

The problem here is that unless we export to a standard format, then there will be workflow problems. The only way to get around this (apart from write our own editor, or rewrite Cineralla to Windows and Linux) is to write a simple plug in for some good editors, one top end, one middle, and one cheapy to satify everybody. The good news, is that if the editor in question has a internal RAW master format, or just the ability to handle raw files once passed the parrametters to define an internal Raw format, then it is simply a matter of installing a convert routine, and raw format parameters, as the plugin.

So what do you think, suggestions for Windows, Mac, and Linux (Cinerrella)?

Where is Rob S anyway, haven't seen him for a while?

Rob L

I'm getting problems trying to submit as well, it just says connection closed by remote server etc. I used to be able to reload the page then paste text and submit, but not even that is working now.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 03:53 PM   #2264
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Wayne Morellini : Cool, Marlin, have to look information up on the exact differences, any ideas?
-->>>

Wayne,if you mean the differences between Standart HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) and ACPI HAL -I don't know all of them, nor I have links or so.
All I know(feel) is:

1. May be it's BIOS related,but when I install windows2000 (no Service Pacs) in ACPI mode-
all devices will use IRQ9 regardless what is set by the motherboard and the conflicts on IRQ sharing is the main reason I know this stuff-my Matrox based Editing station was very good on freezing random...:) ...and just found confirmation in google: http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache...en&lr=&strip=1

2. Many 3D games have much better performance (10%-30%) in Standart PC Mode - not checked (3-4 years ago I've read an article about that)

3. In my experience "Standart PC" mode is much more stable -no more blue screens of dead if once hardware is configured and work properly.

4. I guess pooling the devices is more optimized (more simple?) in Standart PC mode

5. If you have 2CPU system -only 1CPU will be discovered and used in Standart PC mode. May be "MPS Multiprocessor PC" mode is the equal mode for 2CPUs -I don't know since I don't like 2CPU systems. However Hiperthreading will work only with "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC" mode.

6 .No "turn off" and "hibernation".

...cannot remember more...

As "Happy End" I'll say that winXP and win2003 are 1000% better in stability and performance than win2000...

P.S. Quote from http://www.fceduc.umu.se/~jesruv98/info/acpi/acpi.html

...ACPI forces the peripherals to "wait for their turn" as they are used which is actually great if you have many peripherals since you get stability while using those periherals, but bad if you only have a few since performance is lost and no stability is gained.

P.S.2 I like the plug-in idea!...And Avisynth could be the "The choosed one"...IIRC such a plugin already exists???
Old December 2nd, 2004, 06:03 PM   #2265
Trustee

What we need is a group effort to build plugins that will work with the RAW files we are saving and or work with some sort of compressed 10bit files like CineFOrm
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods