4:4:4 10bit single CMOS HD project - Page 176 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Closed Thread

Old March 10th, 2005, 12:35 PM   #2626
Major Player

Nobody will record audio on camera?
Old March 10th, 2005, 12:47 PM   #2627
Trustee

Well . . .

There's always double-system sound, which is the "pro" way of doing things, especially for a film person like yourself ;)
Old March 10th, 2005, 03:06 PM   #2628
Major Player

I wouldn't count on using the new X-Box system at all for such an operation.
Old March 10th, 2005, 07:53 PM   #2629
Major Player

Yes, sure.But these camera systems look more like a cheap one in all thing for the average budget guy.....
So I think Audio (on camera) is not a crazy thing.....
If we were heading exclusively for Top quality then we couldn't pretend to pay 10 grands for it, cause bill of materials would be more than that....
Anyway the price/performance ratio of these things beats everything available today......
Old March 10th, 2005, 11:32 PM   #2630
Inner Circle

Yes, lots of businesses run around with minidv codec cameras prosumer (even pd170) cameras trying to erk out a living. These systems can compete with those and beat the quality of the Eng cameras, who are another market again. People on this level might like to try a bit of amateur indie. So I am not a cinema nut (yet!) so to me it makes sense to sell to all these people and lower manufacturing costs by extra volume.

So audio on camera, and even xbox2, are good attempts to lower costs for this market. When we get around to the run and shoot software. Bill of materials (leaving out lighting and set design etc) is very low. We can expect $500-$1000 camera head for this market. If Gigbe or firewire, or USB2.0, or UWB, then we are getting close to $500 laptop territory. Now we add capture/editor, let's just imagine a freeware linux package (rather than cheap software for $200-$300), extra $99 VGA display, extra battery/solar power panel, and 35mm adaptor with old $50 lenses (with electronic controls, or CCTV lens). So the min cost is close to the lowest price for the HD1.
Old March 11th, 2005, 10:58 AM   #2631
Major Player

Which, I think, is exactly what this market is looking for.
Old March 11th, 2005, 11:13 AM   #2632
Trustee

running circles working on datasave..pain in the ass ..but it looks like we make headway with the RAID setup instead of twin disk save....jsut testing testing testing...more later...seems like things NEVER work as we wish!!
Old March 11th, 2005, 12:10 PM   #2633
Inner Circle

They would, on a Playstation, or an Apple, I am not going to say xbox, to many PC roots. You'll get there, just a PIB to program around PC problems.

Ideal computer: one hi-speed (1Kb/s-10+GB/s) serial bus interface through a few sockets and wireless ports, processor/co-processor/s, memory, storage, thats it, that's all that is needed (display, sound, keyboard disks, cameras can all go through serial interfaces). All this PC stuff is mostly outdated rubbish, with manufactures producing differing versions of each part of it. The way it hangs compatable is by scaling back potential and writing huge amounts of software/hardware to cover up the incompatibilities (sic). The day, hopefully, is coming.

All the Linux developers should look at the model I suggested above, and realise there job would be at least ten times easier (you can tell my Pc has been giving me trouble again, can't you ;).

re-edit:

Finally, dual processor VIA, GigE:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...530#post285530
Old March 11th, 2005, 03:14 PM   #2634
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Obin Olson : running circles working on datasave..pain in the ass ..but it looks like we make headway with the RAID setup instead of twin disk save....jsut testing testing testing...more later...seems like things NEVER work as we wish!! -->>>

Welcome to product development :-) On the bright side, the more problems you have to work through, the less easy it is for someone to come in and copy your work.

Are you planning to bring your camera to NAB? I'm sure people would be very interested in your progress.
Old March 11th, 2005, 05:19 PM   #2635
Major Player

RAID......mmmm.......
I hope not to hear in a couple of days that you are recording in an .AVI container....
Anyway good luck. :)
Old March 11th, 2005, 07:30 PM   #2636
Trustee

Woohhhh!! Now this is cool i am on my phone posting on this board!! Got a internet phone service!
Old March 14th, 2005, 08:43 AM   #2637
Regular Crew

hey guyz dont want to bother this forum, but i posted a question under alternative image methods>high resoultion wireless...

i think you guys can help me out, but i assumed you missed the post?
Old March 14th, 2005, 09:39 PM   #2638
Major Player

Obin, I do not know if this is of any help to your project but just in case it might help you...:
http://www.artray-ap.com/visionsystems.htm
Old March 14th, 2005, 10:24 PM   #2639
Major Player

Obin, do you have any screen grabs or footage you could post from your camera?
Old March 15th, 2005, 06:40 AM   #2640
Major Player

After 2617 post we demand a screen grab! Just one.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods