4:4:4 10bit single CMOS HD project - Page 177 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Closed Thread

Old March 16th, 2005, 10:05 AM   #2641
Trustee

Ok a screengrab will do..let me get to work...i will post one then...the last issue we now have is the save of raw data..we are waiting on a 3rd party at the moment for a software fix of the profiler we are using...once this is done we should have a working beta of CineLink!
Old March 16th, 2005, 10:07 AM   #2642
Trustee

www.dv3productions.com/pub/dog.tif

shot with an OLD 16mm c-mount lens ;)
Old March 16th, 2005, 10:15 AM   #2643
Regular Crew

Hey Obin, some great lattitude and tonal range in that frame. However, I noticed a strange grid-like pattern when viewed at larger magnification.
Old March 16th, 2005, 11:18 AM   #2644
Trustee

yes grid..we have the most basic bayer filter you can have..this is why you see the grid. If your digital still camera took every pixel from the chip and gave it an RGB value it would look the same.

after we get raw save working we will have some Bayer Filter options
Old March 17th, 2005, 06:27 AM   #2645
Major Player

That's a huge file for one frame. I can see the grid, but besides that, it has very film like detail and tones. OK great...so now we demand a second image.

No, really it looks great.
Old March 17th, 2005, 08:03 AM   #2646
Trustee

found a workaround for the profiler issue..back to work..more later
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:06 AM   #2647
Tourist

Appreciation

Greetings all. I'm a newcomer, joined years ago but rarely kept up with DVi... but I am exceedingly pleased to come back and find amazing projects like this going on. Obin, you are da man. I have no idea who you are but your perseverence with this project is amazing. 175 pages of replies? What in heaven's name?! And this is soooo the right way to do things, too - start with a sensor, not a Nikon F and a CD/sandpaper.

I will be enthusiastically checking up on this from day to day.... the passion that a lot of folks are displaying for DIY cinema cameras (sic) is great, but here is one place where the passion has some real direction to it.

Also, Obin, if you need any help with very accurate machining (lathing or CNC milling) let me know. Also, if you have any parts that need to be physically aligned to very accurate tolerances, give me a holler - I'm a flutemaker and we have some amazingly accurate ruby-probe 3D measurement tools here in the shop (+/- 0.0001").... I can build you fixturing or whatever you need, at cost. All the equipment belongs to my father and I (old family business) so I'm open to doing whatever work you need to get this camera to the place where you want it. No idea if you'd ever need this sort of work, but I figured if nothing else you'd appreciate knowing that there's someone else willing to donate some time to this project. Our shop is very flexible so don't be afraid to email me (klimermonk -at- hotmail -dot- com) if you have something in mind.

JL
Old March 18th, 2005, 08:34 AM   #2648
Trustee

John;

thanks a bunch for the offer..i have a small cnc machine but it seems you have years of working with them on your side(I don't) I will take you up on the offer when the time comes...or atleast you could help if we want to do it at our shop? I am sure good things will come however we do it.

thanks for the positive feedback... ;)

we have some good news.

today we ran save tests that are showing we can get full 24fps 1080p datarate on our 2 drives. We have a test app that saved 4 gigs in 512kb chunks on the disks at 97MB/Sec with no problems...now it's time to write that in the code and get some real progress....
Old March 18th, 2005, 08:35 AM   #2649
Trustee

Old March 18th, 2005, 08:41 AM   #2650
Regular Crew

Hi Obin,

Congratulations! Just one thing I noticed...You should only need about 72MB/sec for 24p, 12-bits per pixel. Are you receiving one pixel in 16-bits? With the GigeLink I can pack my 10-bit data, two pixels in 3 bytes. The 10-bit data is bit-shifted by two ("normalized 12-bit").
This packing results (for me) in only moderate overhead for the display (more shifting by 4 must be done).
I'm assuming your capturing about 48MP/sec.
Old March 18th, 2005, 08:45 AM   #2651
Trustee

we don't have pixel packing with CameraLink

Kyle, what is your project? are you working on software?
Old March 18th, 2005, 09:10 AM   #2652
Regular Crew

Obin,
> we don't have pixel packing with CameraLink
Then you are unfortunately stuck with the 16-bit pixels. However, you might try a test: Do the 16-bit to 12-bit conversion in software. The CPU overhead should not be too bad: A couple of shifts and an add in C/C++, and you get 72MB/sec. Your programmer sounds very experienced. 10-bit packing (4 pixels in five bytes, 60MB/sec) is also a possibility, but that increases the bit-twiddling. Yet another possibility: "10.667-bit" packing -- 3 pixels in 4 bytes (64MB/sec).

> Kyle, what is your project? are you working on software?
I am pretty much finished with the software. It is merely a grabber application, like yours, with capture, display and recording to disk. For one Gigelink interface (with SI-3300RGB or SI-1300M), or two cameras (stereo, 2x SI-1300).
It all works fine. There is also a converter dialog, which exports image sequences from the RAW file (BMP (24-bit), SGI (48-bit), and DPX (log 30-bit).

You tend to get married to whatever grabber SDK you use. I lucked out with the GigeLink: It is well-written and well-documented.
Most of the CL boards I looked at last summer do perform pixel packing (BitFlow, Coreco, Leutron) --- not that that helps you.
Old March 18th, 2005, 10:33 AM   #2653
Trustee

Kyle are you using 10-12bit in your software? or are you using 8bit captures? what are you going to do with your software?
Old March 18th, 2005, 12:17 PM   #2654
Regular Crew

> are you using 10-12bit in your software?
Application is hot-rodded for 12-bit packed. No 8-bit captures (but simple enough to implement). Device can be 10-bit (3300, 1300) or 12-bit.
> what are you going to do with your software?
I shoot with it almost every day. And a company is involved.
Old March 19th, 2005, 08:10 AM   #2655
Inner Circle

Can you keep us updated, and give details when the time comes?

Wayne.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods