4:4:4 10bit single CMOS HD project - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Closed Thread

Old May 20th, 2004, 01:11 PM   #46
Trustee

great link Richard! thanks! I will download the PDF...mine is on it's way from Russia with Love ..... :)
Old May 24th, 2004, 06:57 AM   #47
Regular Crew

Yo

Hey, Obin, what's up with the silicon imaging cam, did you get it delivered?
You also mentioned a camera with a Micron chip on it, could you post a link here, please?
Thanks in advance.
Old May 24th, 2004, 09:09 AM   #48
Trustee

I am still waiting for the camera and the film camera to come UPS...meanwhile I am researching on good bayer filter software to use with the system ;) will keep everyone posted. Steve, I am using a micron chip on the one that is coming
Old May 24th, 2004, 09:26 AM   #49
Regular Crew

Thanks Obin, waiting impatiantly, please post your impressions (.jpgs, if possible :) if you have time.
Old May 24th, 2004, 12:02 PM   #50
Major Player

This is a good paper on Bayer demosaiking methods.
http://www-ise.stanford.edu/~tingchen/main.htm

Can the gradiant method be done in gate arrays?
-Les
Old May 24th, 2004, 12:14 PM   #51
Trustee

I need software not a white paper ;)
Old May 24th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #52
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Obin Olson : I need software not a white paper ;) -->>>

The paper in question contains code (or at least pseudo-code) that looks like it could be used. That is, if you have someone who could implement the software. :-)
Old May 24th, 2004, 02:07 PM   #53
Major Player

Correct. The code in the paper is actually for Matlab.
-Les
Old May 24th, 2004, 08:44 PM   #54

Hey Les,

You said you worked at ILM and Dreamworks etc. doing special effects work.

Well this is kind of a silly question, because it's not like I have any money to pay anybody a dime, but you may know talented people looking for experience or I may be lucky enough to come into an investor before I die and rot into the earth at the age of 156, but anyway . . .

Let's say I'm looking to do a feature film that has high-level effects. I'm not talking something as extreme as star wars, but maybe as extreme as Jurassic Park. What I mean is, the creation of CG monsters (man eating-plants or lizards or the like) that actually looks real. I figured the technology may be cheap enough at this point, and you'd know people that have knowledge / could do a bang up job?

I've never done an effects film, but there's a slight possibility I know someone that could give me a (relative) budget to work with. To do the film I wanted to do, I'd need to have people on board that REALLY knew what they were doing with effects, as I have no experience in that realm, just general textbook knowledge.

You can email me at actionvideo@charter.net so we don't have to use this off topic on the thread.

Thanks
Old May 25th, 2004, 03:20 PM   #55
Trustee

just got my mini35 adaptor made for our dvx100...WOW is all I can say..this is what has been missing for me as a DP ...this is AMAZING!
Old May 26th, 2004, 04:39 AM   #56

How does the dvx footage with adapter compare to 35 film tansfered to video? You think it is good enough to fool people for straight to dvd release?
Old May 26th, 2004, 06:43 AM   #57
Trustee

oh yes. I think it would fool anyone! my brother has a VERY good eye for what is video and what is film because of all the vfx and cg work he does and he was blown away, told me this totaly changes how what the dvx100 can do...only thing missing is slo-motion from that camera now ...I think it looks like the dof of 35mm and the quality of super 16.."film" grain is even back from teh GG!!!! I LOVE IT!!..it really is amazing even more so after you color grade it in somthing like DigitalFusion or Combustion

I shot some "test" stuff outside thinking ok no lights mid day it's going to look like shit.....not to say you don't need to light and work out your composition but WOW everything I shot handheld looks awesome!

now if Juan can just finish the 4:4:4 output from the dvx100 I think that unless you NEED slo-motion this cam with Juan mod and 35 adaptor is totaly ready to shoot a really really pretty and post color workable image for feature film indy film and commercial work...after all once you get 4:4:4 out of it with a 35mm lens on the front you would gain NOTHING from a better camera UNLESS it was a full-on HD rig...the 1/3rd inch ccds are just find for recording the light from the GG..bigger would not be any better!

this thing also chages how highlights are shot..makes them much softer and WAY more filmic!! even uprezzed to HD it looks good! just soft like 16mm shown at full 35mm size...I can't wait to build the HD cam and put this baby on it!

Old May 26th, 2004, 07:36 AM   #58
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Obin Olson : I can't wait to build the HD cam and put this baby on it! -->>>

This may be a dumb question, but assuming a one-chip HD camera, what's the point in using a GG adapter? Wouldn't the one-chip system already have the correct depth-of-field? Or would you want it for the grain?
Old May 26th, 2004, 07:42 AM   #59
Trustee

no the one chip will be a 1/2inch chip..not even close to the size of 35mm film or even 16mm...SO we need to use the adaptor to get the DOF from the 35mm lens
Old May 26th, 2004, 08:29 AM   #60
Major Player

Ahh ... gotcha. But if you used a 2/3" chip, that would be about 16mm, wouldn't it?

(edit) - BTW, can you give me a link to the chip you're using? I found something similar at micron.com but nothing running at 48fps... Thanks!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods