4:4:4 10bit single CMOS HD project - Page 51 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Closed Thread

Old July 14th, 2004, 10:41 PM   #751
Major Player

Jason, what are your notes on my algorithm? The green channel has a little zippering left over, but if you get rid of it completely, you lose a lot of information. At 100%, it's almost impossible to see the zippering, and I think once it was projected or on a screen, you wouldn't be able to see it at all...
Old July 14th, 2004, 11:21 PM   #752
Major Player

Ben
Be a little careful about the sample images, as they were probably taken at the exposure that would result in the best still, rather that 1/48 sec, or whatever you want to shoot video with.
Ask them what shutter speed they used. Maybe it was 1/200 sec to minimize noise?
-Les
Old July 14th, 2004, 11:32 PM   #753
Major Player

I think you mean 1/2 second. (?) That's impossible -- the maximum exposure time is 36.44ms. I'm sure they had the subjects well-lit, but so will I. :)

Basically, I need a camera that will operate over USB2 or Firewire. This is it. And it's extremely inexpensive. I'll give it a shot and keep people updated on how it fares. It costs less than half of what my GL1 did, so even if it's really noisy, it'll be an interesting experiment. It's not like I'm going to be handing this thing to Bill Pope, ASC to shoot my movies. :) I do have some really sweet C-mount B&H - Angenieux primes, though, left over from 16mm days -- the 25mm is f0.95! Hottt.

My thinking is that if I window the camera readout to 1280x720 and drop the frame rate to 24fps, I may be able to reduce the datarate enough to record directly to a laptop with one of those 7200rpm 60gb drives. We shall see. Even at full res and full frame rate, it's only 38 megabytes a second (it's 8 bit).

I think it'll be interesting to have some variety on this forum -- both the SI-1300 and the SMX150...

Oh, I should mention for the sake of comparison, that 36.44 milliseconds (0.03644) is rather close to 1/48 of a second, which is 20.83 milliseconds (0.0208333...).

We shall see how adjustable the exposure time is.
Old July 15th, 2004, 02:18 AM   #754
New Boot

Obin,
Good luck in developing that software. Wicked good stuff man. Obviously I'd have to first own a sensor and frame grabber to even be considered for beta testing. I'm gonna have to come to a decision and get one soon. Then I can freaking contribute.

by the way, the "zippering" that ben pointed out in those images of the thumb pins is exactly what I was trying to explain about the image from your camera once it was projected on a big screen. Of course, it seems that this will not be a problem anymore. You need to get on recompressing us a video with no image doubling and no zippering! Heeyah! (Whip cracks!)

Ben,
Awesome that you're biting the bullet and getting that sensor. Best of luck to you as well. It would really be something if you could get a Smooth 24fps over USB2. Even if you end up stepping down to a resolution just below 1280x720 to get solid capture performance, it may prove well worth it.
If any of those nice lenses you have are anamorphic, you could always consider doing a 960x720 window from the SMX-150C and stretching it back out to 1280x720 in post. Or shoot some cinemascope 1280x480 stuff!

I have adobe after effects and a PC, and since I definitely plan to get one of these cameras, it would be great if you could compile that filter for those of us poor souls who can't 'think different'.
Old July 15th, 2004, 02:47 AM   #755
Major Player

Matthew, I'm definitely going to try some anamorphic stuff! I've got a 16:9 adapter and a 2.35 adapter that I hope to test out in 1280x1024 mode. It'll be very interesting to see how that comes out.

The only thing I'm wrestling with now is finding a laptop that can handle the data. I just ordered the 7200rpm Hitachi Travelstar 7K60 drive from Memorylabs.net for pretty cheap ($189). Now I have to figure out what laptop to put it into. :)

One idea I had was to put the Hitachi in a USB2 enclosure, and bring it and the camera (and the software) along with me to a computer store. There I could actually test out various models. However, this doesn't test the most crucial thing I need to know: the machine's real-world ATA throughput. Once the drive is inside, the performance will probably be very different than running off the USB2. I've seen benchmarks for the Hitachi clock in at around 31 MB/sec sustained, so hopefully it will be able to handle ~21 MB/sec. (1280 * 720 * 24 / 1024 / 1024 = 21.09 MB/sec)

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions on high-performance laptops that weigh 5 pounds or less? I've looked at Dell's Inspirion 600m -- the specs look good, but as a die-hard Mac user, I don't know if I can bring myself to buy something so ugly. I've also looked at the Sony V505 series, but they're a little pricey.

I guess I should just bite the bullet -- even at $1700 for a laptop, I'm still looking at around $3000 for a portable uncompressed HD rig. Not bad if it works! :)

You know, another idea is to not sweat the hard drive throughput so much. If you had 1GB of RAM free, shooting at 21MB/second, you could record to RAM for about 48 seconds. It wouldn't be the most convenient thing in the world, but in all honesty, most of my shots don't last longer than 48 seconds...

Old July 15th, 2004, 07:59 AM   #756
Trustee

Ok we need a good bayer filter..anyone have an a link to somthing good?

Gang, I spoke with a film-out house in NYC, they are saying that most of the work they do is 1080p filmout!! They could do 4k but MOST stuff is 1080p! so that means with the new Rockwell chip at a NATIVE 1080p we can shoot right to film no problem! this is kIckIN it! they also told me the 1280stuff will be very clear and work GREAT for a big theater projection. Filmout only needs 8bit ;) just a FYI for you guys!
Old July 15th, 2004, 08:49 AM   #757
Major Player

1080p

Hi everyone this movie was shot @ 1080p
from a famous director .

It will be out august 6th.

http://www.collateral-themovie.com/
Old July 15th, 2004, 11:03 AM   #758
Trustee

what camera?

- wait - SHOT? or you mean filmout @ 1080p
Old July 15th, 2004, 11:12 AM   #759
Major Player

Ok we need a good bayer filter..anyone have an a link to somthing good?

Obin, did you check out my results?
Old July 15th, 2004, 11:24 AM   #760
Regular Crew

Wayne,
about creating camacases, lets email together next time. At the moment i need a working inside.
Old July 15th, 2004, 12:05 PM   #761
Major Player

- wait - SHOT? or you mean filmout @ 1080p

It was shot at 1080p using a Sony F950 and recorded to HDCAM.

I'm not sure what the filmout was but I have heard they did all the color correction at 2K, it's possible they filmed out at 2K. Star Wars filmed out at 2K, so do the Pixar movies (in fact, Pixar claims to have the ability to film out at 4K, but says they don't bother because there is absolutely nothing to be gained by doing it).
Old July 15th, 2004, 12:08 PM   #762
Major Player

By the time you get to a theatrical release print, which is many generations removed from the negative, no one in the world will be able to sit in a cineplex and tell the difference between 2k and 4k...
Old July 15th, 2004, 12:42 PM   #763
Major Player

1080p

the movie was shot with a viper 3 chip 1080p filmstream @12bit
2.37 aspect ratio
It was outputted to 35mm film . I can't wait to see this on the big screen.
Old July 15th, 2004, 12:57 PM   #764
Silicon Imaging, Inc.

Ben:
I don't like to talk about competitor's products so I will talk about a very similar product that we sell. This would be an IBIS-5 based USB 2.0 camera - the SI-1280F-RGB-USB. First, research the IBIS-5 info on this site. Also, be sure you know what bit depth you are working with - 8, 10 or 12. I think the internal A/D might be 10 but it isn't very good - we use an external 12 bit for less smearing. We consider the IBIS-5 (even the new A sensor) to be unacceptable for anything other than high speed and machine vision. Also, although we run our USB cameras at 40-48MHz under certain conditions, it is fairly CPU loading sensitive so if you do much on the PC you can drop frames. Some OEMs go this fast but don't worry about some corrupted frames. Also, the IBIS-5 is not very sensitive - OK, it is an insensitive lout. That is because so much of the pixel is used for the global shutter transistors. There is also a fair amount of global shutter leakage (1.5%) when the electronic shutter is off - this can lead to smearing of bright objects.

The sensor also has quite a bit of single pixel and column offset. You can correct this by doing a dark field correction (also called offset correction) and some other post processing but this eats up your dynamic range. I you start with 256 levels and have to subtract a value of 60 to reach black, you have less than levels to the pixel.

Maybe Sumix has done something magical here, but I would suggest an evaluation period.
Old July 15th, 2004, 12:59 PM   #765
Trustee

Ben I want to try you filter ASAP in after effects on our footage
can you write it for PC AfterEffects?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods