4:4:4 10bit single CMOS HD project - Page 64 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Closed Thread

Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:11 AM   #946
Major Player

The first thing I can tell you is that if it is one frame, it has been written as 16 bit.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:14 AM   #947
Major Player

Juan,

If you have a Mac, open up the file from within GraphicConverter. Set the filter to RAW, and then use these settings:
Grayscale, Unsigned Short, Black is $00, Intel Number Format, and then click "Guess." Voila.

Basically, the file is an array of unsigned shorts (it's 16bit) -- but I think the data is 10bit (padded).

- ben
Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:44 AM   #948
Major Player

You can put an 8 bit image into a 16 bit file. Just because photoshop shows it as mode 16 bit is not a guarantee that you have X number of bits. To be absolutely sure, look at the histogram of the image after brightening it ( multiply X 4 ). You should be no missing values.
I hope this isn't too confusing.
-Les
Old July 23rd, 2004, 11:16 AM   #949
Major Player

Les, it looks like that's what's happening. I thought the data might be 10-bit, but it seems to be 8-bit data in a 16bit file. Why the programmers/developers would let you double the file size for no gain is strange.

And you have to multiply 8 bit by a lot more than 4 to get a full-range image -- try multiplying by 256. (65536/256 == 256)

I think I made a mistake -- the file seems to be 12bit after all. You can open the file directly in Photoshop by setting the format in the open window to "Photoshop Raw", setting the bitdepth to 16, byte order to IBM PC and w/h to 1280x720. Then if you apply a Levels with the input white set to 16, you should get the whole range. If it were 8 bit, you'd have to set the input white much much lower.

After doing some tests, it looks like we have all 4096 values.

- ben
Old July 23rd, 2004, 01:16 PM   #950
Major Player

4096 values out of a 10 bit camera?
Interesting.
-Les
Old July 23rd, 2004, 01:51 PM   #951
Major Player

The data is 12 bit. I believe the camera is as well.

- ben
Old July 23rd, 2004, 01:52 PM   #952
Trustee

Sorry, not to change the subject (too much),

but I was thinking about Hard-drives needed for the Altasens camera. I'm estimating around 3MB per frame for the 12-bit 1080p HD stuff in RAW Bayer format. Now at 24fps that's around 72MB/s for throughput, and at 60fps, it's going to be a whopping 180MB/s. Even 48fps is going to be a pretty hefty amount of throughput.

So will 2 SATA drives in an RAID 0 have the capabilty of recording this stuff? The Kontron board that we were looking at with PCI-X, I'm not sure how many PCI-X slots it's going to have. We'd need at least two slots, one for the frame-grabber card, and another for something like the RocketRAID 1820a to support all those hard-drives needed for that amount of throughput.

Hmm, this will be interesting.
Quote:
The data is 12 bit. I believe the camera is as well.
Then how come Steve has said that the Micron has a 10bit A/D? Is this something in the framegrabber that's expanding the bit range to 12-bits?
Old July 23rd, 2004, 02:05 PM   #953
Major Player

I have no idea. All I know is that the data in this file goes from 0 - 4096.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 03:17 PM   #954
Regular Crew

hey ben,
when are you getting your camera? i want a review.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 03:29 PM   #955
Major Player

Eric, I got the camera yesterday -- I would have been all set up, but my ancient Iomega USB cdrom drive bit the dust. So I had to go out today and get a new drive to install XP with (instead of an optical drive on the recording laptop, I'm putting a second hard drive in the bay).

You can see a photo of the cam here

It's seriously teeny! Check out its tiny C-mount lens here! I'm used to C-mount lenses for 16mm which are about twice as big.

The lens and the camera both are really well put together -- 100% metal construction. The optics in the lens are exemplary -- it looks like a mini Nikkor. :)

Hopefully I'll be able to post some images in an hour or two -- once Windows XP is done vaccinating itself with 7,692 critical security updates ;)
Old July 23rd, 2004, 05:50 PM   #956
Regular Crew

awesome,
did it come with that lens?.. if so, what's the focal length (in 35mm terms)?
Old July 23rd, 2004, 06:01 PM   #957
Major Player

No, I bought the lens separately. I'm not sure exactly what it would be in 35mm terms, but it has about a 60 degree HFOV. It's 8mm -- I would put it at maybe a 30 or 35mm in 35mm terms.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 08:55 PM   #958
Trustee

So Ben, how does everything look?

If you can post some footage that would be very cool :-)
Old July 23rd, 2004, 09:01 PM   #959
Trustee

I bought a cool 8-51mm zoom for mine..nice glass..gota tell you guys today was HELL.....never again will I try and shoot a "real" project with such a beta - no alph level product - if you can even call it a product!! I about lost it today trying to get everything setup for the shoot - after about 2 hours of dicking around I gave up and shot the scene with the dx100....!!! this is in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM ready for production..NOT EVEN CLOSE AT ALL!!!

BTW this chip SUCKS! I was shooting a scene with lots of windows in the background and the smear from the hot windows was REALLY BAD...I don't think any of you could shoot professional stuff with this chip - I know I will never try again,,,I am sure the Altasense will be great but the Micron is bad

the whole computer on a cable is bad...I can see that I need to really focus on the camera-as-one-unit design and get that made...

O well I guess I learned somthing today atleast!

good news is that the capture software is moving along at a good pace..

anyone want to poke at making a proggy that converts the RAW format I sent you guys into a tiff/jpeg/avi/quicktime/some new codec? that we can edit from? in maybe 10bit? David? Rob?

BTW David does Combustion support your codec in 10bit? what about AfterEffects? how does color work in AfterEffects if your using the 10bit file and AfterEffects is 8bit OR 16bit but not 10??

I will now use this camera as a TEST camera only...when Altasense comes out I hope it's a "real" product ;)
Old July 23rd, 2004, 09:43 PM   #960
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Obin,

The CineForm codec can be used within Combustion, but only as 8bit RGB (limitation of VfW.) AfterEffects is the same today but we are finishing up the IO module for AE to support the 16bit RGB (per channel) mode. This is only a couple of weeks away. I assume that combustion would need a similar IO module -- I haven't got their SDK.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods