4:4:4 10bit single CMOS HD project - Page 86 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Closed Thread

Old August 2nd, 2004, 10:23 AM   #1276
Major Player

Hopefully there's some way to control the slopes (Sumix mentioned a multislope setup, with control over each color), because as it is, the dual-slope looks extremely unnatural...
Old August 2nd, 2004, 12:52 PM   #1277
Silicon Imaging, Inc.

Ben:
This is one of my beefs with the IBIS-5. In global shutter mode, the integration time is sequential with the readout time. Let's say that they can move data over USB 2.0 at 40MB/sec and that the 10 bit data is packed. So, you are streaming at 320Mbps or 32Mpix/sec max rate. The real transfer time you need is 1280x720 x 24 = 22Mpix/sec. That leftover time is all you get for integration. The IBIS-5 isn't that sensitive to start, so crank up the gain or the lights in global shutter mode.

With CCD interline transfer or CMOS Truesnap you can overlap the integation time and readout time.

The IBIS-5 doesn't exactly control slope. You can set a knee point and any pixel that is saturated at the knee is reset. In my lamp example, the light is reset very shortly before closing the shutter. This lets the bright areas integrate for a short period while allowing the full integration for the rest of the image. Unless it is finely tuned, it does look very artificial. Very nice for machine vision though.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 03:46 PM   #1278
Major Player

Steve -- interesting. Thanks for the illumination. I did do a couple of global shutter tests recently (with still frames) and I found it to be much noisier (and darker) than rolling shutter with the same settings (even without gain). I'm not 100% sure what's going on there, but it was enough to dissuade me from global shutter for now.

I'm implementing a 16 pixel Spline interpolation for linBayer. The results are extremely promising.

This is the normal (bilinear) interpolation

This is the Spline16 interpolation

I should note that the process is still 100% lossless, even with Spline16 -- the original pixel values are not changed, so you could extract the original sensor data from the RGB data and do a different de-Bayer routine in the future if you so desired...

It's an interesting problem, because any interpolator has to fill in 75% of the image data in the R + B channels. Spline seems to do a really good job. I don't think Spline36 would be worth it, for all the extra processing.

- ben
Old August 2nd, 2004, 03:49 PM   #1279
Trustee

Hi Ben,

That spline-16 looks very nice-will this also be implemented on the green channel as well as the red and blue?
Old August 2nd, 2004, 03:56 PM   #1280
Major Player

Jason, I'll give it a shot. Maybe Spline is all we need to get rid of our gridding and zippering problems, since it sees a neighborhood of 16 pixels for every pixel interpolated. However, it means that processing 720p really will be slow, 1080 even more so. Bilinear is an integer operation, whereas spline really needs to take place in floating point. That in itself is not the speed hit, it's the type conversion to/from integer from/to float -- 512 times for every pixel.

At this point, it might make sense to read the image into a floating point array and do everything in float. No type conversion means no slowdown...

Jason et al,

Spline doesn't help at all with zippering. In fact, it looks almost identical to bilinear, since it doesn't have to do very much interpolating (50% of the data is already there).

Our de-zippering stuff still beats anything I've seen, but I'm open to suggestions as always!
Old August 2nd, 2004, 07:37 PM   #1281
New Boot

Wayne:

Yes Raavin is Jason Keenan. I'm using my normal handle just so when people reply to me, others don't get confused with the other Jason. I've seen cameras cheaper from www.videoguys.com.au. They have a good selection too.

Ben:

From a lay point of view, I agree with you about leaving the raw data alone and converting it with a codec. It just seems to make sense. I think it was you who replied to my comment about using avisynth. I suppose that's more what I was thinking.

I'm still trying to get my head around the 8 bit versus 10 bit stuff. Having a look at the raw file in a hex editor and using some flawed logic, it seemed to me that when you drop the raw file to 8 bit you halve the size of the original because the original 10 bits needs a full 16 bits to fit into. Is that right?

On another line, just thinking out loud, is it possible to stream the file through a fantasy 8 bit conversion codec, basically just dropping the 2 extra bits on the fly for preview and editing, then be able to change codecs for colour grading and final rendering. I'm assuming though that you need at least most of the bits to do the bayer conversion though. It just seems that in order to keep things flexible and compatible you need to have the ability to open the file in anything and at the full frame rate.

Anyone got any links to how bitmaps are arranged in hex format for me???

Raavin :)
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:02 PM   #1282
Trustee

Quote:
Spline doesn't help at all with zippering
Did it help at all with the "gridding"? I thought your de-zipper system was already really good, so I definitely couldn't see much improvement there, but the "gridding" in low contrast areas/out-of-focus/gradient areas was really the problem for me at least.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:06 PM   #1283
Major Player

The gridding is an artifact of the de-zippering that only occurs when the two green offets or gains don't quite match. So since I wasn't doing any de-zippering, there wasn't any gridding. However, since the two greens on the shot I was working on didn't quite match, you could see a slight horizontal line pattern (just as you would with bilinear)...

Basically, the solution is to correctly calibrate your shot before you record. Otherwise, you'll either get a horizontal line pattern. Or gridding when you de-zipper.

- ben
Old August 2nd, 2004, 10:31 PM   #1284
New Boot

Another couple of stupid questions

1) In the '10 bit' raw bayer file, does that mean that in each pixel, there are 1024 shades of grey?

2) Anyone care to give a breif explaination of how these pixel values are represented in the file???

Raavin :)
Old August 2nd, 2004, 10:41 PM   #1285
Major Player

Raavin, yeah -- 10 bit represents 1024 values. You can always determine the number of values by doing
2^x
Where x = the number of bits. So 2^10 == 1024

I don't know what you mean by "represented in the file," but any native 10-bit format will do bit packing. That is, since a byte is 8bits, and since the byte is how we write to files, it means that uncompressed 10 bit would be written like this. I'll use "1" to represent the first 10-bit value, "2" to represent the second 10-bit value, etc. Each group of 8 numbers is a byte written to the file.

11111111____11222222____22223333____33333344____44444444

etc

That means it won't make much sense in a hex viewer. However, one extremely inefficient way to store 10bit data is to pad it to 2 bytes (16bit). That would look like this:

0000001111111111___0000002222222222___0000003333333333___0000004444444444

As you can see, we're using far more bits/bytes to represent the same data.

- ben
Old August 2nd, 2004, 11:22 PM   #1286
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Ben Syverson :
But I'd rather not work directly on Rob's app, as I think he's focusing on a PC-based solution, whereas everything I do is on the Mac. Also, I think Rob's sw is basically capture software specifically for CameraLink

@Wanye: the fastest codec (huffy??)

A 10 or 12 bit JPEG/Wavelet would be fine for 99.9999999999% of the people on this board, but it would be slower than lossless, so what's the point?

- ben -->>>

Only mentioned it because those two are popular topics here and support the range of compression ratios that people want to see.

I think it was Jaun that spoke about a Bayer version of Huff.

The wavelet stuff is not the fastest but one of the best people like here, and able to do completely lossless.

Rob is trying to do a Universal version of capture software that works with any codec, on the PC first then MAC/Linux. I think he intends to support USB and Gigabit versions of cameralink cameras, but I am unsure. So the codec and capture side would still be seperate.

Wayne.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 11:23 PM   #1287
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Jason Keenan : Wayne:

confused with the other Jason. I've seen cameras cheaper from www.videoguys.com.au. They have a good selection too.
-->>>

Thanks.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 11:35 PM   #1288
New Boot

Ok, I think I've got it.

So, in your example-

"11111111____11222222____22223333____33333344____44444444"

-if we had 4 pixels which were alternating white and black, it would be

11111111____11000000____00001111____11111100____00000000

yeah???

Would this then show in a hex editor as

ff C0 0f fc 00 ?????? if it was true 10 bit and not padded to 16 bit????

Has it been ascertained whether the bin captures are padded to 16 bit or not. Every other byte has a leading zero so if it's the 'rawest' format available I'm guessing it is.

eg "00 00 90 05 ac 06 18 05 54 06 38 06 28 07 28"
from raw_cap.bin

Thanks for the answers, I'm just trying to get my head around it.

Cheers,

Raavin
Old August 2nd, 2004, 11:48 PM   #1289
Major Player

@Raavin: Would this then show in a hex editor as ff C0 0f fc 00 ?????? if it was true 10 bit and not padded to 16 bit????

Yes, precisely. As Rob clarified, the 10-bit data coming off the SI cameras is padded to 16bits in the following manner: (this would represent 1 value)
0000##########00
Where the hashes represent bits with data. So it's 10-bits of data, padded out to 12-bits, within a 16bit number. It seems very strange to me.

But yes, that's why every pixel will look like: 0X XX in hex, because the first four bits are always 0. And the last two bits are always zeroes, so the last hex value of every pixel will always be C, D, E or F.

But who cares about hex? :)

- ben
Old August 3rd, 2004, 12:16 AM   #1290
Tourist

Hi, this is my first post but I've been following this thread since the start. Congratulations everyone for the great work!!!

-Avid has a codec called DNxHD http://www.avid.com/DNxHD/
6:1 full raster (sampling every pixel on the image) It works for 8-bit and 10-bit at 4:2:2
this will give us uncompressed quality at almost uncompressed SD size

I think this realy would be the best codec to go for, with this project.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods