Using the EF Adapter instead !! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old May 16th, 2004, 04:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Using the EF Adapter instead !!

Dear All,

I was wondering if using the EF Adapter with EOS 35mm lenses and other set of lenses, will this get us the same results when using the mini35 adapter !!!

Regards,
Amr Toukhy
Amr Toukhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2004, 04:30 PM   #2
Regular Crew

No, the problem is that it multiplies the focal length of the EOS lens by 7.2x wich means you have to get some VERY specific lenses to get anywhere near what you could get with true 35mm focal plane systems.

For instance, to get a standard 50mm lens shot, you'd need a ~7mm lens attached to the adapter.

Even then, I don't believe the DOF would be the same.
Eric MacIver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2004, 05:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Ok i see,

but shooting video with the EOS lenses is OK !!
take a look at this LOOK :)

http://www.usa.canon.com/eflenses/lineup/index.html

will i get this on VIDEO format, or just stills on the XL1s !!!

Regards,
Amr Toukhy
Old May 16th, 2004, 05:40 PM   #4
Warden

You can use the EF adapter to shoot video. But as Eric said the increase in magnification make most lenses super telephotos. It's not very practical for shooting most subjects, the magnification is too much.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2004, 12:34 AM   #5
Tourist

Ciao Amr,

it seems to me, that the principal idea behind the adpater was not understood. So here it is:
Imagine you go to the cinema and take your miniDV along (no...don´t do it or you´ll get in trouble). You frame the screen and tape it. On your miniDV-tape you will record a 35mm movie. The mini35 does exactly the same. Just that you have removed the video-lens (in the case of xl-1s) and film the picture from the ground glass. This is essential to understand, because we are not just adapting a 35mm-lens to a miniDV camera. We adapt the projection of a 35mm lens to it.
So if you are searching for an alternative system, be sure to avoid pure lens-adaptions. They will change your focal lenght and you´ll loose the depth of field you desire.

cheers, Marcos
Old May 17th, 2004, 02:15 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thank you all for your AMAZING informative replies :)

Now i really understand the Angle of view issue and the DOP too:)

What i dont seem to get is, if i use wide angle EF lens and zoom out to full in lens and in camera, wouldn't i get the same angle of view of the EOS still camera... please see image of the motor cycle

http://www.usa.canon.com/eflenses/li...ide/index.html

Another issue and excuse my ignorance !!
what happens when i zoom in the camera... will the lens zoom like the standerd XL1s lens !!

And what is the issue with the f stops when i play with the iris!!

I hope this is not too much ...

Regards,
Amr Toukhy
Old May 17th, 2004, 05:58 AM   #7
Warden

No, my 15mm EOS lens becomes a 108mm lens with the EF adapter on the XL1. The small (1/3 inch) chip of the XL1 sees much less of the image circle projected by the lens. The lenses on the EF adapter need to be manually zoomed with your hand. The lenses do not contain a servo to zoom with the XL1 controls.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old May 17th, 2004, 07:34 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks people for the informative replies,

My comment now is what is the purpose of the EF adapter then if you can't get to match the lens specs. if you are getting a 15 or 100 and in the end you get another rate !!!!

How do people use them on XL1s and for what purposes ?

Thanks,
Amr Toukhy

p.s. any demo videos or images !!
Old May 17th, 2004, 09:03 AM   #9
Major Player

you can use the EF adapter if you are looking for a manual zoom for example (the 16x lens has some issues there) also it's nice to have the option to put some terrific lenses in front of your xl1. The links you're sourcing seem to be images from the lenses on still bodies. They will be different on the XL1. Look at 28 days later. It was shot with Canon lenses and on an XL1 - not on a mini35. Looked great but different.
I have a mini35 and love the fact that my editor's comment is that it looks more like 35 than 16...
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2004, 02:25 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Dear All,

'am about the buy lenses for the XL1s, and i have three ways to go:
1) Stick wide / fish / zoom lenses over the standard XL1s lens
2) Buy EF adapter and get still photography lenses
3) Buy the mini35 digital adapter.

i am really in favor of the second option because i can make use of the same lens for still and video......

i wonder if anyone who has the EF adapter can post sample pictures of putting the EF EOS still lens on his camra then take a photograph the stick the same lens on his XL1 then take the same photograph, so i can see the difference !!!

Regards,
Amr
Old May 17th, 2004, 08:38 PM   #11
Barry Wan Kenobi

You could get the mini35 and also use all your Canon EF lenses with it. That might give you the best of both worlds: shallow DOF plus the ability to use your lenses. P+S Technik makes a Canon EF lens mount for the mini35.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2004, 08:50 PM   #12
Warden

Amr, what will you be shooting with your XL1? I have the adapter and the still lenses, yet the only thing I use the EF adapter for are the wildlife documentary work I do. Too much magnification for anything else.

Old May 17th, 2004, 10:11 PM   #13
Contributor

I wonder why Canon has not made a mini-35 like adapter. They could make a lot of money from it. Or perhaps it would just make more sense to make a video camera with a giant sensor. Imagine all the light that could be captured by a sensor the size of a 35mm photo frame. At SD resolution, such a sensor would see so much in near darkness that IR vision would be obsolete. With HD resolution, it would be less, but still awesome. Much better than reading the image off a ground glass and probably less expensive too.
Old May 17th, 2004, 10:26 PM   #14
Warden

The Canon 1Ds has a 35mm size sensor. The CMOS sensor produce 11Mp images but hardly shoots 24fps, let alone 30fps. The retail is about $7,000 USD and no lens

Old May 18th, 2004, 12:09 AM   #15
Contributor

Yes. But we don't need it to be 11Mp, 3Mp is enough for HD. And we don't need it to be 60fps, 30 would be ok and surely 24 or 25 would be cool. It doen't even need to be 3CCD, just one CMOS, with a surface area roughly equivalent to that of the three CCD panels in the PD170. Sure thay can do it for US$3k. They just don't want to becasue they know for now we are willing to pay that for smaller sensors.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods