Motion Sample Clip from 25P Custom Camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old May 28th, 2004, 06:16 PM   #1
Built the VanceCam

Motion Sample Clip from 25P Custom Camera

For those who have asked and are still interested, I finally got around to posting a clip from my VC25P (3x1/2" CCD Progressive Scan camera), so you can see how the motion looks in 25P mode.
http://www.ColdDayInHellTheMovie.com
Click on the "Watch a Clip" button.
Dan Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:42 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Motion Sample Clip from 25P Custom Camera

Tell me again why this looks better than a normal 3 chip DV with progressive? Or a JVC HD10 (true progressive) , even with it's antique mpeg2 data?
How many good bits deep is that camera?

What should we be looking for in the compressed clip you have up there ?

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't get it!

-Les

<<<-- Originally posted by Dan Vance : For those who have asked and are still interested, I finally got around to posting a clip from my VC25P (3x1/2" CCD Progressive Scan camera), so you can see how the motion looks in 25P mode.
http://www.ColdDayInHellTheMovie.com
Click on the "Watch a Clip" button. -->>>
Les Dit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 11:39 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Dan,

Looks good. Looked a bit like 16mm to me, maybe because of the natural color palette. Nice job with the camera.
Joel Corkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 11:57 PM   #4
Built the VanceCam

Joel,
Thanks!
Old May 29th, 2004, 08:03 AM   #5
New Boot

Dan,

Your footage looks really good. The color looks great and those are pretty impressive results from a homegrown camera. Can't wait to see that trailer. Have you tried any greenscreen work with it yet? I'd love to see how well your footage keys.

-Orson Welles
Isaac Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2004, 08:38 AM   #6
Capt. Quirk

I'm sorry if I've missed this elsewhere, but what tape format are you using? Where did you get the parts, and what did it cost you?
Old May 29th, 2004, 12:07 PM   #7
Built the VanceCam

Les,
As the title of this thread states, this is a "Motion Sample" clip. The Hitachi camera used in this system does NOT have progressive scan CCDs. The system achieves progressive scan by using a combination of the "frame-integration mode" of the camera and an external mechanical (rotating) shutter. This is all explained in detail in the Technical section of the website. Those who have read about the camera were curious as to whether this "pseudo progressive scan" technique gives the same motion look as "real" progressive scan. That's the purpose for the clip. There was never any claim or intention that this would be "better" than normal progressive scan. What IS better is that this is a 3x1/2" CCD camera, so it has the advantage of the larger CCDs over the 1/3" cameras like the XL1S and the DVX100. So the whole idea was to step up to 1/2" chips without stepping up to the next price level of around $25,000 for a progressive scan camera with chips larger than 1/3".
Issac,
Thanks. Haven't done any greenscreen (yet). Will be interesting to see how that works.
Keith,
Most of that info is on the Technical Details page of the website. The camera records directly to a CAPDIV hard disk, so there's no tape. Total cost (minus labor!) was about $2800.
Old May 29th, 2004, 12:30 PM   #8
Regular Crew

When you say "external mechanical (rotating) shutter", do you mean physical shutter like on 35mm film cameras?
Mark Grgurev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2004, 01:49 PM   #9
Built the VanceCam

Shutter

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Grgurev : When you say "external mechanical (rotating) shutter", do you mean physical shutter like on 35mm film cameras? -->>>
Yes, there's a picture of the shutter (though not a very good one) at:
http://www.colddayinhellthemovie.com/VC25PTech.htm
But it's the combination of the shutter AND the frame-integration mode of the camera that enable the progressive-scan imaging.
Old June 1st, 2004, 03:55 PM   #10
Major Player

hi everyone

Thank you, Dan, for the clip ... this is so exciting. I can think of no other place where an engineer working on a protype would share with us help in building our own! I just got through watching the movie 'Visions of Light', and over the years the major studios competed with each other over the closely held cinematophgraphy techniques and equipment. Much of it ewas fabricated like your camera, and we're right there with the birth of the latest technology.

My next camera will be homemade.

Oh ... and when the window blew out I jumped!
Richard Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2004, 06:43 PM   #11
Built the VanceCam

Thanks Richard,
Feel free to email me if you need any help when you start building your own camera.
Dan Vance is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods