Mini35 Oscillating Ground Glass Idea - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 5th, 2004, 09:17 AM   #181
Regular Crew

<<<---Have you made a working relaylens for the XL-1????--->>>

Yes
Rai Orz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2004, 09:54 AM   #182
Regular Crew

Would you share how you made it???

Perhaps you could reply on the Canon XL-1 Relaylens for use with the 35mm adaptors thread (so this thread isn't messed up):

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23377&perpage=15&pagenumber=7

Thanks!
Anders Floe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 05:18 AM   #183
New Boot

I am interested in Les' Kit too

Hi Les,

Just want to let you know let you know I am interested in your kit too.
I also would be interested in getting an email from you as I have a couple of questions, including about the possibility to adapt your kit for medium format GG (see Brett's posts), as I am using a DVX100 and would be glad to get rid of one lens and get some extra contrast and brightness at the same time.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Best Regards,

Emmanuel
Emmanuel Decarpentrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2004, 08:36 PM   #184
Major Player

Les,

Could you send me some information as well? My email, if you can, is admin at weet.us
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2004, 03:09 AM   #185
Major Player

Email sent.
-Les
Les Dit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2004, 10:41 PM   #186
Micro35

Me too!

jamey at sunrushmusic.com
James Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2004, 03:00 PM   #187
New Boot

I'd be interested as well Les.

jon1million at sympatico.ca

Thanks!
Jonny Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 04:08 AM   #188
Regular Crew

Hi Les

How is the osc. device coming along - any news?
Anders Floe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 08:20 AM   #189
Major Player

OK. I'm a complete newbie to this whole 35mm adapter concept.
I have been doing my best to read through all these threads (there's a LOT of material to sift through!) but I may have missed a few posts (in fact I'm sure of it).

Firstly, I've gotta say this is really a fantastic project! Congrats and kudos to everyone working on these.

I'm bitten by this 35mm bug, and had a few ideas I was considering for my own project and was curious if anyone has had success or failure with any of this....

1) What about a small speaker connected to a tone generator for an oscillator? Would that be too weak? Maybe it depends on the mass of the GG material.

2) Would a "frosted" bit of transparency (overhead projector "film") on a slide frame be a sufficiant focal plane, or is genuine ground glass the preferred medium?

3) I've seen broken camera bodies of all makes on ebay in the $10 range. Could the front plate from these be used for a lens mount?

I have several Minolta lenses which are now mostly unused since I went digital. Would be great to put them to use on my GL2. :)

Thanks.
Nick Jushchyshyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 10:02 AM   #190
Major Player

thank you agus

Hi welcome aboard I feel guilty not offering advice at what won't work. I think after building everyone of the devices. the second augus 35 in the americas. this needs to be built in a optical tube
there is no way to get pvc , plastic project boxes , or even lens tubes to the tolerences we need . I am proud of my agus35 and bring it out @ every party. I think the focal length of
50mm camera lens to ground glass is about 1 1/4 inch thorlabs sells a stackable tube 1 1/2 that will fit a50mm 1500 grit ground glass that cost $14 a50mm plcx behind this and you have your static adapter. the cool part is these parts are the base for a ocillating adapter I am building . the empty lenses tube model was good but the tubes could not handle the weight of the camera lens and get a precise focus with the ground glass .
I t came apart and died a glorious death in times square. you can all wait untill my parts come in and I will tell you how all this works.
Richard Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 11:36 AM   #191
Major Player

Hi Anders and others,

I am busy adding some CNC to my milling machine, so I haven't got to the next stage of improving my oscillating GG mechanism yet.
I do think there are enough people to go ahead with a limited production run of these, for $400 each. I will prepare a simple web page for easy information gathering for those who want one.

Again, if you are interested and want to see the high definition video clip of my prototype in action on a rack focus, send me an email an I'll send you a link. I have to do this with email because last time hundreds of people downloaded the 22 meg clip and used up my bandwidth!
Thanks
-Les
Les Dit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 11:38 AM   #192
Major Player

Just curious, for those of you who have built versions of these before what is the focal length of a 35mm lens in, say, inches or mm? Does it change dependent upon the manufacturer?
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 01:50 PM   #193
Major Player

focal length

I think the distance is 1 1/4--- 1 3/4 for slr lenses. If you build the system in this tube you could adjust it to any slr lens thread retaning ring to focal point add ground glass and plcx and you have a static adapter .http://www.thorlabs.com/ProductDetail.cfm?DID=6&ObjectGroup_ID=213&Product_ID=1481
Old October 19th, 2004, 02:02 PM   #194
Major Player

ocillating adapter

this is the link to a cage similar to the one I plan on using for the oscillating adapter . It will fit precisely on the tube system the other end will also have more of the tube system then to a c-mount then lens. from one end of this tube to the lens .the tolerences will be perfect. the failure of my filter ring system
was the tolerences . this has to be perfect.

http://www.thorlabs.com/ProductDetail.cfm?DID=6&ObjectGroup_ID=183&Product_ID=474
Old October 19th, 2004, 02:37 PM   #195
Major Player

Re: ocillating adapter

Yes, the tolerances are the critical part of this design. The alignment of the bearings and the shafts is the hard part.
The one I make has to be good enough for my JVC HD camera, which shoots 1280 x 720 video. Not much room for error!
-Les

<<<-- Originally posted by Richard Mellor : this is the link to a cage similar to the one I plan on using for the oscillating adapter . It will fit precisely on the tube system the other end will also have more of the tube system then to a c-mount then lens. from one end of this tube to the lens .the tolerences will be perfect. the failure of my filter ring system
was the tolerences . this has to be perfect.

http://www.thorlabs.com/ProductDetail.cfm?DID=6&ObjectGroup_ID=183&Product_ID=474 -->>>
Les Dit is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods