Mini35 Oscillating Ground Glass Idea - Page 21 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old November 13th, 2004, 06:15 PM   #301
Regular Crew

I've just built myself a prototype, and I fear that the motor will have big problem putting the three shafts in motion. What's the big secret of having the shafts running as smooth as possible? ..

This brings me to my to next question .. For those of you who got a working model: Are you able to turn just one shaft by hand, when the GG plate is on?? I was able to do this with my prototype .. One reason for this could be the fact that I used plexiglas instead of aluminium .. or because the holes for the bearings wasn't perfectly aligned .. or maybe my shafts needs to be more off-centered ( today they're 1mm off )

Another thing that struck me a while ago.. Isn't there a chance that the three shafts will go out of sync? Especiallly if you move the GG plate in a small radius? .. Any help appriciated!
Martin Lindstedt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2004, 03:54 AM   #302
Regular Crew

martin can u show us photos of your prototype....

if you think about..you are making a plate that is held by two eccentric shafts...for the system to run perfectly the shafts have to mimic the same motion...if one shaft of the two is not paralel..or impositioned..its impossible to get the plate to turn...when you have 3 shafts you have more importance..

how did you cut out the holes for the shafts?

"This brings me to my to next question .. For those of you who got a working model: Are you able to turn just one shaft by hand, when the GG plate is on?? I was able to do this with my prototype .. One reason for this could be the fact that I used plexiglas instead of aluminium .. or because the holes for the bearings wasn't perfectly aligned .. or maybe my shafts needs to be more off-centered ( today they're 1mm off )"

..can you eplain what you ment...

good to see new people in :)
Dogus Aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2004, 04:17 AM   #303
Regular Crew

Hey Dogus!

Yeah, that's true .. the holes needs to be perfectly aligned .. For my next try, I will drill the holes on all three plates at the same time, thus making sure that they are aligned .. I didn't do this on my prototype .. so .. shame on me .. :)

Btw, I saw your pictures on your model! It's looking really good!

Well, I just wonder what happends when your turn one shaft by hand, when the belt and GG plate is on? Do the two other shafts start to move as well in the same direction?
Martin Lindstedt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2004, 04:28 AM   #304
Regular Crew

yes when i turn one shaft the other shafts turn..the reason for this is in the way the parts are been built...

take a look ..

www.us.trumpf.com/31.tc3030-4030-6030.html

i have done my designs on cad programs and i got them cut out on this thing...it is 1/100 mm accurate (hundrath of a millimeter)..in my design i have two plates holding the shaft ...so the shafts have no escape but to stay inline!
Old November 16th, 2004, 08:36 AM   #305
Regular Crew

Sorry for the OT.

Dogus : I work for PrimaIndustrie :D

http://www.primaindustrie.com/
Dario Corno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2004, 01:18 PM   #306
Regular Crew

hey Dario! u r the man:)

i need to ask u 2 things..

1- whats OT?
2- for the ground glass we all have been trying to get..i was wondering if a laser so delicate could create marks on the glass..with very small distances..so we could have a very fine ground glass?
Old November 16th, 2004, 01:22 PM   #307
Major Player

I think people found that when you get too fine the glass starts to reflect light. That's just a faint memory though.

OT = Off Topic :)
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2004, 07:46 AM   #308
Major Player

Laser Etched GG

Cannon has laser etched GG in at least one of their Pro cameras these days. Last time I checked none of the optional screens were without markings so - unuseable. They are incredibly fine grained though. Better than even Satin Snow Glass. Perhaps if you talk to the right people at Canon you can find out who makes them for them and have a plain one done. I tried getting them on the phone but couldnt find anyone who could get me specifics. But if you have someone else make one tell them that you need a "random" grain structure done because normally lasers are so acurate that they will produce a extremely fine pattern and you dont want a perfect pattern. It can have a moire effect with the cameras CCD.

-Brett Erskine.
Brett Erskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 04:00 PM   #309
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Dogus Aslan : hey Dario! u r the man:)

i need to ask u 2 things..

2- for the ground glass we all have been trying to get..i was wondering if a laser so delicate could create marks on the glass..with very small distances..so we could have a very fine ground glass? -->>>

No, the main problem is not the radius of the laser beam, but the heat it will generate. The way (I believe someone is doing it already) is to use waterjet machines. They trow an high pressure water jet, mixed with abrasive diamond sand on surfaces, usually to cut them but it's also possible just to mark 'em.
I believe buying a big glass plate and marking all the surface then cutting it with the same job whould cost really really less than buying pre-made ground glass.
Let's say with the price you'll spend for a single groundglass you can mark and buy and cut something like 1x1 meter plate.

I will contact Finnpower or Waterjet (two of the most famous waterjet machine producers) and ask them.

I saw in a show here in Italy machines cutting optic glass (that's always due to temperature, water cuts at ambient temperature).

I'll let you know.
Dario Corno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2004, 01:26 AM   #310
Micro35

Progress anyone??

http://www.sunrushmusic.com/micro35/micro35test.htm
James Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2004, 02:44 AM   #311
Major Player

any other sample footage yet

Hi,
I haven't been following the thread for a while, so I'd like to know if any of the other efforts besides mine have generated sample footage ?

How about those parts that were cut on a very expensive laser machine the size of a small house.... got footage yet?

-Les
Les Dit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2004, 02:09 PM   #312
Regular Crew

hi les...i think the small house design ur talking about is my small house:)

i have got good results..but the design had a problem when running it too long the glass layer part tended to lose position making part of the projected image blurry...

i have brought the design to a master in micro mechanics and design, and we have agreed to take the design from the begining..only this time better!....the presicion is very high..i am hoping alot will like the overall product..

i want to publish pictures from my new design, but this will take a few weeks...it is going to be interesting, there arent even any bearings in the design!
Old December 4th, 2004, 04:37 PM   #313
Major Player

Oh OK,
I know from my experience that if the shaft alignments are not perfect, the glass holder will want to walk away from the shafts as it all moves. My second attempt at the shafts fixed that problem. I still had a very slight image vibration in my HD demo, however.
I also have an idea that does not use standard bearings at all. I've just got too many projects on the list right now!
-Les
Les Dit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2004, 11:01 PM   #314
Inner Circle

Les.

I don't know how it goes for NTSC and 24P over there but with the simpler numbers in PAL country of 50 / 25P, you may find that if you shoot interlaced, then apply the motion signature recipe which has been published on this site, the vibration may go away although you may get a much slower weaving effect somewhat like a worn projector gate with film.

I most recently encountered a similar thing with my AGUS setup when I tried to mount the combination to a very firm tripod. An out-of-balance condition of the disk did not make itself apparent when the combination was hand-held or on light MiniDV tripods but with the big Miller, the vibration instead transferred to the camcorder body just enough to move the image on the CCD about one TV line.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2004, 05:26 PM   #315
Major Player

Hi Guys,
Here is my last attempt (of 23) to solve the GG movement.

http://pictures.care2.com/view/2/941356005

http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/682555803

Please consider the size (24/36mm ! ) small power requirements,
variable speed and variable amplitude of movement, noise, weight,...... and if you
have an idea of how it could be improved, let me know please.

Regards,
Dan D
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods