Movie Tube - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 11th, 2004, 05:11 PM   #31
Major Player

vaporware...

I have Never EVER seen a pic of the unit!

You could show me a crappy transfer of 35mm for all I care. The least I need is a website that goes beyond a pattent application and shows me a physical object.

sorry for a gruff response but I've been waiting for this since before I purchased a Mini35 (300 series!). That dude in south america has impressed me more.

that being said... I''m EAGERLY awaiting something... which is why I check this thread every time it gets bumped and EVERY time it's another pencil sketch and a claim of something.

I'm gonna go recount Ohio.
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2004, 09:32 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Promo Material ARRIVED today!

Hey all,

I have received the MovieTUBE flyer and demo DVD! So it is definitely not vaporware or BS.

It looks very good and certainly has the DOF of 35mm.
They used a PD150 so it still has a video-ish quality but I think coupled with a DVX or XL2 perhaps, it should look very very good.

I have asked them if I can encode some video to show people on the web and I am waiting for a response.

I think it has the exact same capability as the Mini35 except that it boasts absolutely no light loss so even slow lenses can be utilized with the device.

I'll keep you all posted.

Until then,

Norm
Old December 19th, 2004, 03:18 AM   #33
Regular Crew

@ Josh, do you believe me now? It ist no vaporware, or do you think german rental houses offer vaporware to their customers?

I told you the Movietube has been on cinec (http://www.cinec.de) and I've personaly seen an tested two of this varporware pieces.

@ Norm: which video did they send you? the one with abaout 20 single scenes on the dvd or the one photographed by Marcus Stotz?

dietmar
Dietmar Zonewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2004, 03:06 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Hi Dietmar,

They sent a DVD with a bunch of single clips and a music video clip with some girl boxing and beating up her boyfriend :)

Is that the same one?
Old December 20th, 2004, 01:34 AM   #35
Major Player

So, what are the chances of eventually seeing price war between the movietube and mini35 folks?
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2004, 12:37 AM   #36
Regular Crew

@ Norm: I don't know why they send you this old one, as this isn't the good one. I think this video has too much Problems in the bright areas. The other one I've seen is much better.
A little bit OT but the second bad thing in this video is the music, I think its terrible.

@Jesse: I don't think there will be a price war, both pieces are very costly in production, just think of the expensive prisms.

dietmar
Old December 21st, 2004, 12:45 AM   #37
Major Player

I think I was a little hyperbolic in using the term "price war." I mean, do you think both or either company might price more competetively now that there are two of a similar product on the market. Obviously production costs will force the price to remain high, but is there any room for competetive pricing ?
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2004, 11:09 AM   #38
Wrangler

Dietmar, can you describe the "problems in the bright areas"? If this was due to badly shot video rather than an inherent problem with the hardware that has since been fixed, this is still valuable information, i.e. under certain circumstances the grain of the ground glass becomes visible, etc.?

I had an unusual situation with my Mini35 on a recent film; a 135mm Zeiss with a 2x doubler, shot at T1.9 (but effectively at a 4 due to stop loss from the doubler) caused an out-of-focus highlight in the background to "sparkle". The movement of the oscillating ground glass was visible just in this highlight but nowhere else in the frame. We were able to take the time to hunt down the offender (sun reflecting off a car window 2 blocks away, remedied with a hunk of duvetyne laid on the window) but it was a fascinating looking artifact in the meantime.

I personally would be surprised to see a signficant price reduction on this level of technology from either P+S or Movietube. Their products are based on a professional pricing scale, not prosumer. Those who find the professional prices unfathomable have been effectively spoiled by the loss-leader pricing of the prosumer/consumer market, where units are measured in the 10's of thousands (I'm quite sure that less than 1000 Mini35's have yet been sold, probably less than 500) by corporations who are able to absorb losses through other divisions.

It may be possible for one of the homebuilder proponents to bring a competitive product to market, but it still hasn't happened yet and may never happen (it would be fun to see it happen, though).

Back to the product at hand; Dietmar, have you had the opportunity to see any comparative footage between the Movietube and the Mini35, and/or is there a comparison chart of features/benefits? Do you know if the Movietube has better transmission (less light loss)?
Old December 22nd, 2004, 02:02 PM   #39
Regular Crew

The Problems in the bright areas where looking like bad single chip ccd camcorders, but I think it was an effect produced by a not fully perfekt gg and clumsy light setup.
But as I wrote the other video is much better in this areas, thats why I think the gg has been the problem.
The gg is never visible (maybe there are circumnstances under which it is visible like in the mini35 but I don't think so) - I know the effect wen the gg is visible in heavy back light.

@Carles: You wouldn't believe how much mini35 and PRO35 have been sold - afaik much more.

Concerning a direct comparison - I had never had the chance to see od do such a comparison, but maybe it is possible in two month when I start my new job at MBF which is one of Germanys biggest rental houses. They have a lot of mini35 and PRO35 - a Movietube and it would be very interesting to know which is the better one and all about the advantages and disadvantages of them all.
I'll try to establish a connection to the Movietubmakers for a free test Movietube.

dietmar
Old December 22nd, 2004, 06:52 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Dietmar,

Could you copy the new DVD sample that you received for me? I would like to see the difference between the one they gave me and the one you have.

Thanks,

Norm
Old December 23rd, 2004, 02:27 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Can someone scan the image, im dying to see what it looks like in real life.
Old December 23rd, 2004, 06:41 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Merry X'mas Cory!

Long behold....

http://www.q-films.com/test/MOVIETubeLT.jpg
http://www.q-films.com/test/MOVIETuvePro.jpg
Old December 23rd, 2004, 07:59 PM   #43
Regular Crew

thx Norm!

hey Norm, thx for posting the pix man! Merry Xmas to you and yours.

Sid
www.powerads.us
Sid Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2004, 08:18 PM   #44
Major Player

Well bless my britches....
an actual photo! I take back the vaporware comment!
now where can I try one out, and then anyone want to buy a mini35?
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2004, 10:10 PM   #45
Trustee

um, what's with the 45 degree angle pitch thing happening there?
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods