Home Made HD Cinema Cameras - Technical Discussion - Page 19 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 20th, 2004, 06:07 PM   #271
Inner Circle

That is what the people are claiming, but at the same time, I see how they could be mistaken. Just because seperate datapaths goes from Black chip A (?) to compressor and component, doesn't mean the two aren't linked. I assume they know to examine if the datapath is one way data. If the datapath is bi-directional, then the data canbe sent to the compressor, sent back again then to the component (and the rest is probably a bit of hype). You get my meaning, as I don't have an FX1 (and probably won't at the local price, even if it is uncomrpessed) I can't trest myself. The blackchip might be a hub, all data flows into, and out of, a central organising chip, so is passed back and foward toi get to individual chips. Probably the best test is to throw a computer generated random niose picture into the camera that should completely stuff the comrpessor circuit, and then compare the output to the original digitally (still a bit tricky to setup right).

Wayne.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2004, 08:43 PM   #272
Inner Circle

Sub $500 laptop, thinking.

I just read a Tomshardware news artical that claims that sub $500 notebooks are now common on compusa (I think that was the site) and listed a Linux Laptop for less than $500 but only !GHZ at the moment (they also have a second part DVexpo report). This gets me thinking, if laptops are going to be under $500 in future with fast enough processor and Gigae, that is a very viable alternative to bying an ITX MB, especially if you consider that it may coem with 720p compatable LCD. Even if you wanted to put everything in a case, all that entails is breaking down the laptop and refiting it is a more suitable style case.
Old January 2nd, 2005, 04:35 PM   #273
Regular Crew

Hi Guys, I just wanted to say first off that I am new to this site but have been reading for the past week or so on what you are doing with the "home made hd cameras" and i am completely facsinated. I have been reading as much as i can as there is a tone of posts to catch up on so i'm not sure if you have addressed this particular camera/sensor....but how viable would it be to use this Dalsa Pantera SA 2M30? It says that it outputs 1080p @ up to 30fps. I can't however find anything about the price. Does anyone know if this a good option for the sensor/camera protion and have an idea what it costs?

http://vfm.dalsa.com/products/features/2m30.asp

keep up the good work,

Omar
Omar Saad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2005, 04:59 AM   #274
RED Code Chef

Welcome aboard DVInfo.net Omar!

I don't know the price either, but if it isn't listed it usually is in a
pricerange that "normal" people cannot afford....

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2005, 10:12 PM   #275
Major Player

Last time I got a quotation from Dalsa for a 2K model it was around 6,000 bucks or the like....
Not so bad for a good quality CCD.
Juan M. M. Fiebelkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2005, 10:38 PM   #276
Regular Crew

Thanks Rob, I glad to finally contribute a post!

Juan thanks for the info....that's a bit pricey, but based on the info on their site and what little I know about CCD's it seems like it would output one hell of a nice image. I wonder if it is similar to the CCD they use in their digital cinema camera?
Omar Saad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 06:30 AM   #277
Inner Circle

I have tried to contact them about pricing, and got some ... locally distributor that wants to know the information allready included in the email he is replying to (why me). I have noted that their 6MP model should get close to 24fps in a panavision style window of interest. But if they are going to be much more than the 2MP model, it is a bit piontless.

I have been thinking, if we wanted a large performance camera (for documentary or cheap cinema production) then we could use 3 chip pixel shifted SD progressive camera head. With the larger cell size we should have tremendouse latitude, SN, and maxinum satuation values. But I have no idea who the leaders in performance, or value, are in the SD market, let alone the cmos sensor side of it.

Does anybody know of any cheap 3 chip prisms, or how to put a chip prism together cheap.

Wayne.
Old January 4th, 2005, 02:09 PM   #278
Major Player

Well, what you say is right .The problem of all this is the word "cheap".
There is no "cheap" way to do what you are asking, because you need expensive machinery, trained professionals and a special facility to be able to play with chips and prisms.
And in the end that three chips with prism will be far more expensive than a single sensor of higher resolution.
Old January 4th, 2005, 02:21 PM   #279
Inner Circle

But allways humbly, much better. OK if there is none, there is none. I would have thought they would have been pretty standardised and fitable like normal prisms, not having to be custom made for each sensor.

Thanks.
Old January 4th, 2005, 05:28 PM   #280
Major Player

You misunderstood what I said.
The prisms are stanadard.The difficult part is mounting the chips on them with enough precision and a really clean environment.
Then you have the added cost of three times the electronics required for a single sensor.....
So at the end all this together gets higher cost than just a bigger resolution chip.
I hope it is clearer now.
Old January 5th, 2005, 04:44 AM   #281
Inner Circle

OK, I understand now, that canbe arranged (though the mounting method would have to be thoroughly researched). Now show me a 9 mpixel or 18 mpixel chip that can do 24fps at such latitude and sensitivty, at even four times the price. Now do you understand. Please stop it, I don't need such conviently negative answers everytime I say something "slightly" challenging.
Old January 10th, 2005, 11:00 PM   #282
Inner Circle

I got around to posting a adaptor screen technology (face plates), and image down scaling technology for direct sensor chip connection (tapers). Good stuff, hi res, high transmission options. The post is here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...489#post261489
Old January 25th, 2005, 04:17 AM   #283

Anyone heard anything from SI or SUMMIX? Seem to be out of touch on the boards anyway.
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2005, 09:16 AM   #284
Silicon Imaging, Inc.

I'm still around. Things are happening. Things will be announced. Instead of "out of touch" think "low profile".
Steve Nordhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2005, 09:52 AM   #285
Inner Circle

Whatever happened to the camera, I thought it was go for Jan the 9th?
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods