Home Made HD Cinema Cameras - Technical Discussion - Page 28 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 16th, 2005, 12:38 AM   #406
Major Player

PS3 and Wayne

Dear Wayne would buy in an Apple store if there were Girlz telling me why to by the dammed Apple for such an asking price as Apple hardware is alredy dead but prices as usual.

Tell you what...Linux is no problem id it is proper made. I have one PC wich an Nvidia Quadro, no Linux will have propper resolution, most even don't start only this dammed Dynebolic I found by acciden, getting the CD from a shop for 1.9 Euro !! it starts is fast dont crash you are allways root can do what you want and with dammed old X86 no mouse only TAB the cofiguration of my Opengl Nvidia beast is a snap !! all on an 26"" SGI/SONY screen, Redhat took me heurs to recompile...I can tell you LINUX is not for VIDEO/MUSIK freak, it is for servers and hackers, and stupid guys hating Windows...

Dynebolic can't to email but anyway in an Soho network an old PII will do the job

now to read and so long >
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Shooting with Dad's swappable HD mag
By Sheigh Crabtree
Legendary British camera wizard Joe Dunton arranged for his daughter Erica Dunton to be a guinea pig on his first foray into digital cinematography gear.

Two years ago at IBC in Amsterdam, the production equipment guru introduced -- through his U.K. rental house, Joe Denton Cameras -- a prototype high-definition digital magazine for traditional motion picture cameras (HR 9/27/02).

The most noteworthy thing about the rig was that instead of starting with an electronic newsgathering camera and attaching film-style lenses, he began with a native film camera and lenses and engineered an attachable high-def digital magazine.

"It's exciting because it is the film technician's chance to design a camera for electronic imaging," Joe Dunton said at the time.

Curious anticipation has since followed the invention, primarily because the removable digital magazine uniquely allows filmmakers to bring a single-camera package on set that shoots either film or HD.

This year, Erica Dunton brought her father's HD mag with her on location to Wilmington, N.C., for her first feature film, "RedMeansGo," a visually ambitious indie she wrote, produced and directed.

"It's set in a world that only sees red, green and yellow," Erica Dunton said. "It is a very stylistic and graphically orientated film that presents an unconventional look at love."

The young director worked with Argentinean cinematographer Natasha Braier ("One Minute Past Midnight"), whom she met at the National Film and Television School outside London and with whom she has worked on spots and short films.

For "RedMeansGo," Braier shot HD, Super 16mm and 35mm and used both Kodak and Fuji film stock. Her main camera was an Arri SRIII, on which she mounted Cooke lenses and swapped Super 16mm film and HD mags.

"By using the same lenses on each format, (you have) a unique continuity of image and pronounced depth of field," said Erica Dunton, adding that it took moments to swap from mag to mag in the midst of production.

Her HD magazine consists of a three-chip Ikegami block that reproduces imagery sized at 1028 x 1918. The HD footage is then recorded onto D5 tapes and converted to Mini-DV. "RedMeansGo's" final online edit is being finished on Final Cut Pro HD by editor Sigvaldi Karason ("101 Reykjavik"). Ikegami is finalizing the production version of the Dunton HD magazines, which will allow 24p, 720 and 1080i frame rates.

"RedMeansGo" will receive theatrical distribution in early 2005 through Simon Gosling and Simon Ewin's new Enjoy Films' distribution arm. Gosling oversaw sales and distribution of "Rabbit-Proof Fence," "Sexy Beast" and "Brother." "RedMeansGo" is the first production through Enjoy Films.
Published Sep. 07, 2004
Régine Weinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 12:47 AM   #407
Major Player

Os X

Dear Wayne
as I told you the Nucleus is FREE it is even GNU only the GUI is Apple
it is Mach Unix....what Sony will have on the disk is a good question ....will it be a special version taking in account all the PS# goodies ?? would be FANTASTIC
Old June 16th, 2005, 02:48 AM   #408
Major Player

Xbox

hm tht's for the old one
but a full blown OS
have a look
http://gentoox.shallax.com/
and free bien sure
Old June 16th, 2005, 02:51 AM   #409
Regular Crew

@Ronald : if you want to test x264, everything is here : http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=89979

For the lossless mode of Ateme new encoder, it's not that good... Seems to do 2:1 but times slower than for exemple FFV1 which is one of the best lossless codec around. Well H264 wasn't designed to be a lossless encoder ;)
Steven Mingam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 05:15 AM   #410
Major Player

Dear Steve

that's fine merci will do
Old June 16th, 2005, 05:24 AM   #411
Major Player

Dear Wayne PS3

something to read
the IBM article is great

I do guess that the cell is a kind of very special micricontroller
but there is somethin gstange happening. To my opinion
Steve Job was allways late and did a step in the wrong direction.
He finally left Apple, wrong direction, he came up with NEXT, wrong direction,
he came back to Apple wrong direction, he switched from Motorola to IBM CPU strange... now he is going to use Intel CPU rather strange.
An Bi Pro Apple is a fine machine, stable and runs FCP Shake Xpress etc round the world same as SGI's, SUN all wonderfull. WHY ? They are closed boxes and people use them to work with and not switch hardware like mad.

Like to have hand on the Linux disk for PS3
http://playstation2-linux.com/forum/...p?msg_id=47986
http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english...050525/105050/
http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english...49/?ST=english

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english...050407/103542/
Old June 16th, 2005, 08:26 AM   #412
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mingam
@Ronald : For the lossless mode of Ateme new encoder, it's not that good... Seems to do 2:1 but times slower than for exemple FFV1 which is one of the best lossless codec around. Well H264 wasn't designed to be a lossless encoder ;)
Steve:
Thanks for that. It is confusing with all the new lossless compressors coming out. Of the lossless compressors which do you you think are best on compression ration, speed, and price?

Ronald:
Thanks. I will have to get back to you latter, need rest.

Thanks

Wayne.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 12:13 PM   #413
Major Player

Wayne, none of these Lossless codecs are magic -- odds are most of them are standard RLE.
Ben Syverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 12:37 PM   #414
Inner Circle

Codecs and Component recording

Ben, back from the dead, how have you been?

I haven't heard anything from Sumix for a month or two, have you?

Yes, Codecs, many are similar, but there is a difference between them in performances, with many new ones. One, we saw last year, don't remember the name etc (but has space theme pictures on site) claimed something like 4:1 or 6:1, so waiting to see if this is true. Thought Steve might know what was up.

Radek Mate, here is some links to VIA stuff with Video Input port , I was told was something like component. there is a 12cm board with this connector on it, chipset supports two, but as I said somewhere don't have info yet, waiting before I go and do emails to VIA (original contact gone). I suggest next 2Ghz generation is more suitable.

http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/ch...c-series/cn400

http://www.viaembedded.com/product/e...erboardId=221#

Dual processor (only example next version might be preferred, hopefully dual C7's (upto 2Ghz each)):

http://www.viaembedded.com/product/e...erboardId=321#.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 12:46 PM   #415
Major Player

Sumix

I did got nothing relly nothing
and the old page seems to be gone and the new one
is rather strange by the was do you have their webpage or even email ??

will contact basler but they are rather expensive I do guess.
A shame that the Foveon is so dead slow.

some strange crazy idea...there are a lot of surplus highspeed cams out, working with prisms. taking some foveon and ....tiff to avi sounds strange
Hanvision is selling the Foveon chip

please have a look to the P# links

below Apple 10.4 their is Darwin it is free only the gui no way...
but they are porting to X86 they have allready signed with Intel
Old June 16th, 2005, 01:12 PM   #416
Major Player

Dear Wayne

take rest.
I dont like to turn this thread to a PS3 one
but this is better as having sex LOL

PSP gets web browser... in Korea
Category: Updates ..... Posted on: 13/06/2005

Eurogamer is reporting that the PSP will have a UMD-based web browser when it debuts in South Korea this May. There will also be support for video on demand and music on demand from Korea Telecommunications. No word yet on plans to offer this software outside of Korea, but we know that there are 3rd-party keyboards on the way. We’ll keep you posted. [Thanks, Andrew] Ads by Google

what the hell does it mean ????????

rather new
http://www.fortune.com/fortune/fastf...072719,00.html
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05...24681.html?q=1

the official press release from Sony as pdf
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/050517e.pdf

and the Sony sponsored page with the latest news a bit crazy with the layout
http://e3.playstation.com/index.aspx
http://e3.playstation.com/news/releases/nws_000.aspx

I do guess it comes out first in Japan
do you have friends there to order one, would like to get one.......

Linux is legacy, but it will be a start. In the case of the Cell, operation systems are applications. The kernel will be running on the Cell, and multiple OSes will be running on top of that as applications. Of course, the PS3 can run Linux. If Linux can run, so can Lindows. Other PC Operating Systems can run too, such as Windows and Tiger (Max OS X 10.4), if the publishers want [them] to do so. Maybe a new OS might come out.
sic
Old June 17th, 2005, 01:27 AM   #417
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini
Steve:
Thanks for that. It is confusing with all the new lossless compressors coming out. Of the lossless compressors which do you you think are best on compression ration, speed, and price?

Well, the best ones are free :)
currently it should be FFV1 and snow in lossless mode, the first use a range coder and some adaptive model (afaik) the second is a wavelet codec (and should rather be slow) using range coding for the entropic conding too. Both are opensource, in early stage developpement, without any support and backward compatibility.
FFV1 do at least 3:1 lossless iirc. You should browse the archive of Doom9 Forum for more detailed information about those, there is lot of post and comparaison between the lossless codecs out there.

That's for the lossless one, the "almost" lossless like CineformHD (or AspectHD ?) well that sort of stuff is another world/story, there isn't much work in the opensource community (well, i had a try, but it's stalled somehow for various reasons)
Steven Mingam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 01:46 AM   #418
Major Player

Dear Wayne

please can you send me a private email
best at regine.biese@wanadoo

as my network is ever changing all old mails
are on a dvd but explorer can not read Kmail, Mozilla fierfox or so
and I find it so boring to fight Windows ...
Old June 17th, 2005, 05:12 AM   #419
Major Player

Xbox vs. Playstation war. Sony is winning and is making good profit on their product. M$ losing money. M$ can't turn their toy into computer or they anger all their customers. Sony can. Billy G used to say how he'll outsell Sony with Xbox, now saying again how his Xbox360 outsell PS3. Good luck Billy! Did you do your homework on how much money you make, or rather lose?

Sony seems have lot bigger plans for PSP and P3. Can't wait to edit HD on PS3.

If Sony can add to PSP web browser, PIM, some basic office applications, etc., and I'm sure they will, most kids who will be brought on PSP will never even want to get PC, especially when PSP2 will have power of PS3.

I think Intel's aliance with Apple and Sony's aliance with IBM finally may bring some quality to market place that put lot pressure on M$. I think both Sony and Apple may have plan and may working on it together and will put squeeze on Billy. The sooner the better.

Radek
Radek Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 05:46 AM   #420
Inner Circle

Looks like I've got around 60 web pages open to read through and other stuff to do first, so you will have to be patient with me.

Ronald:

PS3:
I opened the thread for discussion on the technical aspects of the camera projects, to take the pressure off the meeting place in the other thread, but now that's gone, we still have future project here. So discussion on using PS3 for camera is right on topic. I mention HC1 uncompressed component, PS3, PSP, and cheap Foveon X3 as suggestions. I am pleased that everybody is discussing, except I make decision a few months ago, to spend my time on other things, like my own projects. But for now, I will do some discussing, but feel free to discuss different ideas. Better than Sex, that's a good one!

Here: is a reply to your earlier posts:

Ronald:
Lots of reading. I think I read about that film camera video mag before, but forgotten about it. I know there is probably at least one similar product claiming to come out.

I am yet to read most the links.

I have finally read that gamespot interview and it's great. They are opening up the machine for different OS's (to program different things). They want to present themselves as a credible computer, with the Cell super computer design to get away from the Nintendo toy image. They should market it as the "Super computer that plays games" (illustrating the super computer like design features and that it also just happens to play games as well). They will also have to engage third party application developers to get them interested in porting word processors., editing systems etc so the other commercial developers feel secure to develop for it. See, MS won't be too scared, as long as Sony stick with Linux/Open Source and the commercial guys don't want to go first. They would know that there will be a perception that commercial software is more desirable, but that should only work for so long ;)

I should put my OS design on the PS3 (big undertaking). Need to design it a bit more for parallel computing though, but virtually, nearly, everything else, except for AI, is fine. I have known people that work with advanced concepts and parallel in other groups. Sort of 3000 2.4Ghz CPU's on a 30cm board sort of thing. I know two guys that have access to a group working on something far more powerful than that, another guy with access to people who worked on true 3D, float in the room, image technology (very close to commercial market now, but this was several years ago). I lack money (and the rest) so I work on very advanced concepts in OS theory and computer user interface. When I get better I can start work again, needs good mind to balance designs. Capture software nothing compared to designing OS (capture, biggest problem in the main part, is learning to deal with Windows/PC design) . Needs lots of time and clear head.

At the moment I am considering a handheld computer project to have a parallel FPGA network back-end. Not too difficult, as you are designing a small array, and some OS software to control loading in new designs, not actually making FPGA designs. I hear of good Raytracing 3D FPGA design (Open RT) that maybe close to my 3D design for the OS, if so it would be good to include the ability to use it (among other things). Possible to tackle PSP. But still talking with few engineers about it, what to use for front end that I want to be ultra low powered (much easier and cheaper to work with people on this than to complete the OS and take out many patents).

On Cell:

The Cell is a multi processor with additional processing units, bigger than microcontroller, partly new breed hybrid between CPU, Parallel DSP/Embedded etc. If it works, great, I think that it probably does work as a credible alternative.

Thanks

Wayne.

Last edited by Wayne Morellini; June 17th, 2005 at 09:15 AM.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods