35mm Lenses for DOF adapter? What to get? Selling? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old August 18th, 2009, 01:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

35mm Lenses for DOF adapter? What to get? Selling?

Hey peeps,
So I just purchased a 35mm adapter, nikon mount, and I only have a long zoom lens.
The image looks great but it's really dark, since there is so much glass inside the lens.
Could you please recommend some good, cheap lenses that I should purchase?
I want ample light, preferably with really shallow depths of field.
Please list the make, lens size, f stop, and maybe a small blurb about how great the lens is.
My range is up to $120, but I was looking more in the $50 range.
Also, Post if you want to sell any lenses ;)
Thanks,
Kevin
Old August 18th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Well I'm not sure you'll find a lot for $50, but I use an FD mount so I mostly only know Canon lenses.. but you'll want the fastest lenses you can find, my 50mm Canon lens is an f1.4, I believe it was in the $50-100 range.. you'll mostly want to stick with 1.4's and 1.8's, though the wider angle lenses will be a bit slower unless you shell out some big bucks. Personally I don't like the off brands so I'd stick with Canon or Nikon, unless it was a company like Zeiss
Cris Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Non-AI/AIS???

After looking at more lenses, I saw that they have "Non-AI", "AI", "AIS", "Auto".
I understand that a few of these control the way the aperture works.
Which would I need for a 35mm adapter? I want to make sure that when I turn the aperture ring, it actually opens and closes the blades.
Thanks
Old August 19th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Depending on the brand of adaptor, some earlier Nikon lenses will have an issue with a non-genuine Nikon style mount. There is a relief cut out of the outer diameter of the mount at the front.

Some of the older lenses have a shoulder on the iris ring which extends back over the outside of the mount to engage with a mechanical link on the Nikon camera body. The relief cut out of the mount allows clearance for this shoulder.

Full auto digital stills lenses like the Nikon 12mm - 24mm f4 should be avoided although they can be used at a pinch by wedging the iris actuation lever. These lenses still mount via the Nikon style mount but may throw a smaller image area and may vignette or have corner brightness falloff issues on some adaptors.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #5
Major Player

i've found trying to under stand the vast amount of variables in lens was easier to understand...in the photography store. They are more than happy to pull out lens so you can test them in the store.

give it a try.
Old August 21st, 2009, 10:03 AM   #6
Regular Crew

If you actually have a store nearby that has a vast lens selection that would be awesome. Unfortunately the stores around me mostly just have camcorder bags, batteries, memory cards and some offbrand lens filters. If I actually ever found a manual 35mm lens there they'd probably have no clue as to what it was
Cris Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 02:05 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Update:
Picked up a Nikon 1.8 f/stop 50mm lens off ebay for $40 shipped.
LOVE IT.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods