compression? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old August 10th, 2004, 04:46 AM   #1
New Boot

compression?

could you guys tell me where i can find a comprehensive explanation of compression, colour space and how compression affects lattitude

That would be really appreciated
thanks Henry
Henry Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2004, 04:27 AM   #2

go to www.pixelmonger.com

A guy named Scott Billups wrote a book called Digital Moviemaking (2ond Edition). Best video book I ever read to turn me from a dv novice into a HD professional (academically anyway).

Actually, best film industry book I ever read.

Good Stuff.
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2004, 06:06 AM   #3
Major Player

Henry yr questions are not covered in two words... But just in short: (video)compession doesn't affect lattitude. Color spaces tell us how displays, scanners,... behave (which colors) w.r.t. applied signals. These are the so called device dependant color spaces...big chaos! Absolute color spaces (CIELAB...) are the only real predictable ones. There is a movement towards better color space definitions (sRGB) for all devices. Crompression involves a bunch of tools which are used for ending up with images with a lower amount of bits per image. The tools are based on leaving out components in the signal which are not seen by the human eye, or starting from another way to represent pics (tranform coding..DCT) and/or smart tricks on bit interpretations (run length encoding...)
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods