ARRI D-20 HD camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 3rd, 2004, 02:18 AM   #1
Major Player

ARRI D-20 HD camera

Check this beast at http://www.arri.com/infodown/cam/broch/d20_e.pdf.
Valeriu Campan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2004, 12:14 AM   #2
New Boot

Wow. Did Arri make that 6megapixel cmos sensor themselves? Select between 3018x2200 12-bit RAW Bayer or 1920x1080 10-bit 4:4:4 at any rate between 1 and 60 FPS. Plus it always outputs a SD signal in NTSC or PAL no matter what mode you're shooting in. This one is on my list if the price is right....

So how much does it cost? That PDF is probably the most detailed presentation of one of these 'digital cinema' cameras yet.
Old October 6th, 2004, 08:56 AM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Here's an NAB interview with cinematographer Michael Ballhaus in which he remarks on the Arri, as well as on digital video's state in general. It's an interesting piece.

I don't know what the purchase price of the camera would be, if it's offered for sale at all. I suspect most users would be professional crews who would rent the camera, as they would a Panavision. If it was offered for sale my guess would be in the $100,000-$120,000 range (without lenses). Charles Papert or Wayne Orr would certainly know more about the camera.

Clear your Visa balance.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 11:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yeah, around 100 k would be my guess. This is not a consumer HD cam made to compete with the FX1 and HD10. This is made to compete with the Cinealta and Varicam. But if I could afford this thing...oh yeah. Time for a change of underpants. And now, time for another.
Charlie McCarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 11:36 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey. If you like the D20, check this thing out, if you dare.

http://www.thomsongrassvalley.com/pr...f/viper_ds.pdf
Old October 7th, 2004, 11:40 PM   #6

The Viper has been around for some time. It's a good camera by all accounts.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old October 7th, 2004, 11:58 PM   #7
Wrangler

A major difference between the D20 and the Viper is that the D20 imager is sized for standard 35mm lenses while the Viper is the classic 2/3"--in other words, the D20 will deliver 35mm depth of field. I think of the Cinealta and the Varicam as the 1st wave of HD, and the D20, the Panavision Genesis and the Dalsa (all three accept standard 35mm lenses) as the 2nd wave. The Viper is the bridge between the two waves.

I would expect the D20 to cost more than $100,000--probably more like $150-200,000. That's just a guess though.
Old October 8th, 2004, 12:50 AM   #8
Regular Crew

That's intense. The one crazy thing I noticed about the Viper is the massive resolution. Ballhaus says it's the closest to film he's seen. Also, can the Cinealta and D20 shoot at 1080p? I know this is common knowledge for these cams, but I don't know since I don't typically research things I can't afford! I've never even heard of the Genesis or Dalsa. Will the Genesis feature a mighty 16 bits of graphics processing power?
Old October 8th, 2004, 01:20 AM   #9
Wrangler

Genesis

Dalsa

The D20 is not intended by Arri to be the biggest, baddest HD camera around, more as a competitor to Super 16mm for TV production and modestly budgeted features. They are still promoting 35mm for high end production.
Old October 8th, 2004, 02:23 PM   #10
Regular Crew

12.4 mega pixel, true RGB sensor? I think I have to go to the bathroom. Scratch that...I just did.
Old October 8th, 2004, 03:38 PM   #11
Major Player

That's intense. The one crazy thing I noticed about the Viper is the massive resolution. Ballhaus says it's the closest to film he's seen. Also, can the Cinealta and D20 shoot at 1080p? I know this is common knowledge for these cams, but I don't know since I don't typically research things I can't afford! I've never even heard of the Genesis or Dalsa. Will the Genesis feature a mighty 16 bits of graphics processing power?

Yes, they both shoot 1080p. The CineAlta was the first commerically available HD camera to originate in 1080p (the original CineAlta prototypes were used to record Star Wars Ep. II). The new CineAlta, the F950 (the original was the F900) has, by all reports, even better color rendition and latitude than the original, putting it on par with the Viper. With the way the HD industry is going right now, I expect the next rendition of the CineAlta (which would be the F1000 I guess?) to also use a 35mm sensor.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2004, 04:30 PM   #12
Major Player

Makes you wonder how long it will be before people start making digital cameras with medium format size chip(s)...
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2004, 04:42 PM   #13

<<<-- Originally posted by Aaron Shaw : Makes you wonder how long it will be before people start making digital cameras with medium format size chip(s)... -->>>

If you're referring to still cameras, it already exists. Digital backs by Imacon and Leaf are already available for Hassleblads and Mamiyas. They're hideously expensive ($20,000+).

It's doubtful, however, that the medium format will survive long in the digital world. It's becoming increasingly unnecessary. The forthcoming Canon 1Ds Mark II features a full-frame (i.e. 35mm size) sensor and 16.7 Mp resolution.

Old October 8th, 2004, 08:53 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Until now, the Cinealta is really the only TOL pro HD cam I've read anything about, and that's only because it was used for Episode 2. I was lucky enough to see EP2 on a digital projector, and it looked truly SUPREME. It beat the pants off film easily. But that's probably just due to the inevitable degradation of film's IQ through transferring, viewing, etc.
Old October 9th, 2004, 01:39 AM   #15
Regular Crew

The main differnt to Cinealta and others is the FULL SIZE sensor. Arri understand the importance of 35mm DOF. Whit this feature it beet all other cameras.

But there are other companys working on full size chip HD solutions. Just wait a few mounths.
Rai Orz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods