Anyone selling 35mm adapter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 13th, 2004, 05:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone selling 35mm adapter?

Hey guys, I don't have the resources to build a 35mm adapter. So I am looking to buy one. I have a GL2.

If no one does, can someone point me in the right direction for building? I looked for a straight "tutorial" but I can't find a solid one for GL2? also recommendations on what macro lens to buy for this? Thanks.
Lyndon Golanowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2004, 08:52 PM   #2
Micro35

I'm putting together a kit for people that don't want to build them. You can check out the first prototype here:

http://www.dvxuser.com/cgi-bin/DVX2/...num=1097454631
James Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2004, 09:56 PM   #3
Major Player

I have my old tutorial over here, but will be updating it soon, so it's not officially linked from my mainpage yet. This is for the GL-1, but should work the same for the GL-2 -- they've got the same lens dimensions, I believe.

Good luck!

- jim
Old October 13th, 2004, 10:02 PM   #4
Major Player

James,

Can you demonstrate what a pan looks like with your setup? If you're short on space, I'll host the file for a bit...

- jim
Old October 13th, 2004, 10:58 PM   #5
Micro35

Here is a link to a pan i'd done a while back. I had a shakey lens on it. Sorry about the compression or the lack of...

http://www.sunrushmusic.com/mini35_pan.wmv
James Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2004, 11:01 PM   #6
Major Player

No need for the compression apology, I'm posting full res NTSC DV on my sight :D Each 25 second clip is about 50mb!

'sides, you need "uncompressed" video to see the true performance of a given setup, so the higher res the better.

- jim
Old October 15th, 2004, 08:51 PM   #7
Major Player

aldu35

hi everyone I don,t mean to rain on the parade . but the static adapter is realy easy and cheap to make. the parts list . a c -mount adapter $35. 5 empty filter rings $4 each .plcx $22.
ground glass diffuser 1500 grit $14.cannon 1.4 50mm $60

and that's not a hot spot in the link. it realy is the light on the wall

http://www.dvinfo.net/media/mellor/35%20mm%20lens%20test%202.jpg

http://www.dvinfo.net/media/mellor/35%20mm%20lens%20test.jpg

and james your setup looks realy cool.

Richard Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2004, 10:48 PM   #8
Major Player

Richard,

Things are dry around here -- and you're late for the parade :D

Where's the footage from your adapter? Can we see a 720x480, 30fps NTSC DV pan? This is the litmus test -- my adapter, made with specs similar to what you describe shows grain, especially in the highlights (see my old tutorial, which has 1000 grit AO, my latest uses WAO5).

For NTSC viewing, web content -- i.e. output with even mild compression -- the WAO5 gg adapters are more than adequate. For projected material, the solution falls a bit short...

- jim
Old October 16th, 2004, 07:07 AM   #9
Major Player

1500 grit

hi jim did you ever try to use 1500 grit ground glass from a optical company. this is a link. the 2inch round glass will fit perfectly in a 52mm lens filter

http://www.thorlabs.com/ProductDetail.cfm?&DID=6&ObjectGroup_ID=1132&Product_ID=36117

the next step is to build the next one in this tube. looks more professional ,and with adjustable rings you can get the focal distance from the lens to the ground glass perfect. someone somewere pointed out this can,t vary 1mm or we will lose sharpness

http://www.thorlabs.com/ProductDetail.cfm?DID=6&ObjectGroup_ID=213&Product_ID=1481
Old October 16th, 2004, 07:13 AM   #10
Major Player

If I'm not mistaken, 1500 grit and WAO5 are the same, and if not -- I'm given the impression that WAO5 is finer. Otherwise, there's 3 micron grit around, but as I understand this acts more as a polish than an effective abbrasive.

At any rate, the proof's in the footage.

- jim
Old October 16th, 2004, 10:25 AM   #11
Major Player

static adapter clip

hi everyone I think this movie was made with a static adapter

life against memory

www.triggerstreet.com.
Old October 16th, 2004, 11:01 AM   #12
Major Player

Richard could you perhaps label the pieces in the photo you provided? I'm interested in how you put the thing together (specifically I'm looking to maybe adapt the design for a DVX...)
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2004, 11:46 AM   #13
Major Player

static adapter parts

I just ordered the parts if you want to save money you can wait untill i build this. the3 parts are sm2l20 ( 2 inch tube $29
sm2rr (2) @ $9.
I haVe a 50mm plcx and i will be getting the 1500 grit ground glass $14 the system starts with cannon lens next c mount next tube fit the ground glass untill sharp focus plcx last .tighten down with sm2rr inner ring . heck this is laser stuff it,s made to be precise . I am just shy of sharp focus with the filter rings model
I will say this I have tried every homemade ground glass all grit s and the ground glass from optmo sigma was by far the best yet.
I cracked the ground glass and will now be trying thorlabs 1500 ground glass it,s even cheaper than optmosigma let you know how it looks next week sent chris a few stills will link to them when they show up
this is the inner retaing ring. it can be threaded to any focal length. click links to stackable tubes of varing lengths
http://www.thorlabs.com/ProductDetail.cfm?DID=6&ObjectGroup_ID=848&Product_ID=1483

Old October 16th, 2004, 01:31 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
I will say this I have tried every homemade ground glass all grit s and the ground glass from optmo sigma was by far the best yet.
As I've said, footage is still the litmus test. "By far" the best you say -- I'd like to see for myself how it stacks up in a full res pan. Is the grain visible at all?

When you get it together, if you need a place to host the file, I'll do it -- make it a 30 second NTSC DV pan in daylight, across various light/dark/vertical/horizontal objects...

- jim
Old October 16th, 2004, 02:18 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Re: static adapter clip

<<<-- Originally posted by Richard Mellor : hi everyone I think this movie was made with a static adapter

life against memory

www.triggerstreet.com. -->>>

Here's a good look at the set up they used

http://www.enormousapparatus.com/35adapter.htm
Roger Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods