Microcrystalline Wax Techniques? - Page 19 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 4th, 2005, 08:58 PM   #271
Major Player

I saw the achromats, but did not see the condensers - it is somewhere else?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2005, 05:16 PM   #272
Major Player

So, two days later, the wax GG still holds...no cracks, dust or bubbles! My theory to keep the wax on the sides of the GG (like this: http://s01.picshome.com/a48/filterwax.jpg) turns out to be true.
This GG took me about ten minutes to make.

I use a macro tube as lens mount and two thin condensers. I post a pic of the setup on my wax site: http://doublecam.250free.com/wax/wax.html
Tomorrow I'll start looking for microcrystalline wax again (in stead of Paraffine).
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2005, 07:20 PM   #273
Major Player

yeah, ten minutes to make....on top of MONTHS of work in perfecting the technique...The images are beautifull. Bravo Oscar! Now..., work on "someone's hair"...(hehehe)so we can see the resolution!(and leave the cat out of it)....rotf
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 07:06 AM   #274
Major Player

Oscar,

Sorry if I've missed this, but what cam are you shooting with?

- jim
Old June 6th, 2005, 12:20 PM   #275
Major Player

For the tests I used a consumer Sony camcorder, not a bad one, but one CCD.
But I've developed (and discussed in a thread) a system with two identical camera's (the same Sony) filming two halfs of the 35mm frame on the GG.
In short: The camera's are placed on their sides. One camera films the left side of the GG, the other one is placed in 90 deg and shoots the right side of the GG through a mirror. Everything is syched by a remote.
Finally I put the footage together on the PC and end up with a 720 X 1040 image.

So...when I get this set again for the wax adapter, I'll post these higher res. footage.
Old June 6th, 2005, 12:38 PM   #276
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Spier
Finally I put the footage together on the PC and end up with a 720 X 1040 image.
I took note about this some time ago, very interesting idea, and I do not exactly know how you did the shutter speed, iris etc ... so both half look same... Watching also your prism... You are full of interesting ideas :) When I started with my movie, I was thinking about two things... Make it stereo or use 35mm adapter. Finally I decide to use 35mm, due the synchro problems between two cameras...
You are hardworking devil... I like it :)

At the beginning there was an idea, then the ambition came and the idea became to be a dream... The Satisfied Dream => http://film.datriware.com
Daves Spi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 04:55 PM   #277
Major Player

Daves, you're quite a DOF devil yourself! Hard work, but what fun when it works, in the end...

I didn't shoot "someone's hair" just yet, but I put a frame-grab of the focusing pattern I use (letter size) on my site. And I shot my brother, he was asking for it... See the first three images below the setup image:
http://doublecam.250free.com/wax/wax.html
Old June 6th, 2005, 05:13 PM   #278
Major Player

Quote:
And I shot my brother, he was asking for it...
Good God! You sound like "Billy-the-kid" :cat's gone, brother's gone.. you'll be pretty soon alone! (;-)<
But the rez chart looks VERY GOOD!!!(I do not know if two innocent lives were worth it though...)
Old June 6th, 2005, 06:12 PM   #279
Major Player

I'll shoot a girl tomorrow, for the hair I mean...I'll blame you Dan, you asked to work on "someone's hair". Better stop these jokes, before the FBI misread them.

EDIT: I forgot, I bought some new wax today, I'll start experimenting with that in the next few days.
Old June 6th, 2005, 06:26 PM   #280
Major Player

Quote:
I'll shoot a girl tomorrow, for the hair I mean.
No, no no... you got it backwards. Invite her to dinner first and you'll get all the hair you want (for the real shooting) I can bet she'll be delighted to play target!
Old June 6th, 2005, 08:51 PM   #281
Major Player

Oscar,

Is the softness from the focus or the GG in the new pictures?
Old June 7th, 2005, 07:04 PM   #282
Major Player

Leo, some of those pics were a bit soft (not the res chart or the boot), I think because of focusing on a tiny LCD, but they also look kind of gray because it was a rainy day.

Today I shot some better focused footage, ie. 'work on someone's hair' Dan said:
http://doublecam.250free.com/wax/wax.html
At the last shots the sun was going down so those have a bit of back light and grain.
Old June 7th, 2005, 08:09 PM   #283
Major Player

Very nice Oscar, third pic shows sharp only on a central section, the rest going soft. Very nice. So.... are you happy now? What lens did you use?
Old June 7th, 2005, 08:33 PM   #284
Major Player

Wow, you really have managed to get rid of the hotspot entirely! Great job on that especially with such a thin wax GG. I think the footage looks great Oscar!
Old June 8th, 2005, 05:34 AM   #285
Major Player

Thanks. Dan, the third pic has such a small DOF because I used a macro ring to get closer. Of course I'm not happy Dan....no, seriously, I'm happy that I can work with this GG and I need to find the balance between the apertures on the adapter and the camcorder.

But to answer that question differently, I just bought some new wax...I think it's microcrystalline.
The lens I use is an old, but pretty good Minolta 58mm F 1.4.
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods