Microcrystalline Wax Techniques? - Page 21 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 11th, 2005, 01:36 PM   #301
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Spier
I am just doing all of this to see how far I can get it.
You are my man... Like your access to it. You are curious as me... How far can we push it and where are the limits :)

At the beginning there was an idea, then the ambition came and the idea became to be a dream... The Satisfied Dream => http://film.datriware.com
Daves Spi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2005, 02:16 PM   #302
Major Player

like I told ya; der aint no limits or.... better put: WE are the only limits.
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2005, 04:42 PM   #303
Major Player

This stuff is great!

I made a really, really rough wax projection screen for an adapter I built in about an hour. Here's my test footage (sorry to link to another forum):

http://www.dvxuser.com/V3/showthread...485#post230485

I used beeswax.
Matthew Wauhkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2005, 04:58 PM   #304
Major Player

Looks pretty good (or pretty ánd good)Matthew. Beeswax is about as fine as Paraffine. So did you use my method? I made this step by step guide today http://doublecam.250free.com/wax/wax2.htm Feel free to post the link on that tread.
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2005, 05:32 PM   #305
Major Player

I definitely dig your shots -- no apologies or qualifications needed.

I've got some time to myself in the coming week and I'll definitely be hitting the wax and make a go of Oscar's method. I'm planning on using a 46mm UV filter as the "internal" glass, with a 49mm filter kept in its ring.

Incidentally, you might find Oscar that, since you're melting such a large area of wax, you could lay the pieces of glass in the wax side-by-side, thereby using the wax to bring both pieces of glass to the same temp (rather than heating the glass separately). I've found in my experiments that so long as both pieces of glass got submerged in the wax for a bit of time, no stratification of the wax occured.

I also found it helpful, and I intend to try this again, to place the wax in the fridge to cool. At thinner progressions of the wax, this was indespensable.

Last edited by Jim Lafferty; June 11th, 2005 at 06:23 PM.
Jim Lafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2005, 05:46 PM   #306
Major Player

I used a method very much like the one you described for my tests, then modified it to be almost exactly what you did once I saw your link.

I've also found putting wax in the refridgerator helps, but if you can keep it in one place while it melts and let it take its time, that can provide even better results.
Matthew Wauhkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2005, 05:20 AM   #307
Major Player

If someone has trouble of dust in the wax layer, try spraying a large space around your work area with water (with a spray for plants or something) before you begin. I learned this when I painted parts of my car. You can even spay a bit of water on your clothes to fix the dust.
Old June 12th, 2005, 07:15 AM   #308
Major Player

as an alternative (for those obsessed with quality) try the bathroom. Colse the door, turn on the shower hot, then cold, a few times till the room is full of steam. Wait for it to settle and the dust is gone! oh yeah, and do not open the door. (from... a working procedure about making a plastic window in the hrad drive's case www.overclockers.com)
Old June 12th, 2005, 08:55 AM   #309
Major Player

It's going to be tough getting my oven in there :D
Old June 12th, 2005, 09:26 AM   #310
Major Player

hmmm...tough indeed, but not impossible! a hose and shower in the kitchen?
Old June 12th, 2005, 09:42 AM   #311
Major Player

I thought about parking my car in the shower when I wanted to paint it 'dust free', but I didn't even get it through the front door.
My microcrystalline is cooling down right now, it just a first test with my new wax, but who knows.
Old June 12th, 2005, 09:47 AM   #312
Major Player

Oscar: where'd you get your circular glass cutter? Was it off eBay?
Old June 12th, 2005, 10:14 AM   #313
Major Player

I don't have one. I wish I did. Keith Kline has one.
Until now I used clear lens filters.
Old June 12th, 2005, 11:36 AM   #314
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Spier
I don't have one. I wish I did. Keith Kline has one.
Until now I used clear lens filters.

Ah, ok -- the shots with square plates of glass in your latest tutorial were confusing.
Old June 12th, 2005, 05:51 PM   #315
Major Player

Microwax is definitely many times finer than Paraffine. The glass I made today with the microwax is almost perfect. I just need to wait if some small bubbles on the sides that came from the epoxy (I learned you better wait 12 hours) don't expand the coming days. They are outside the frame area, so I hope it stays that way.
It was dark when I had a chance to test it, but I really can't see any grain so far.
I did a side by side test just to see the light loss. It's two stops for this one:
http://s01.picshome.com/4b4/dv-wax.jpg (Left> only the camcorder. Right> with wax)

One other shot (just before it was getting too dark outside)
http://s01.picshome.com/4b4/1.jpg

Anyway, I'll test this further tomorrow.
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods