Microcrystalline Wax Techniques? - Page 22 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 12th, 2005, 05:55 PM   #316
Major Player

Also, don't forget about glass picture frames. I bought up a bunch of 50 cent circular frames which were around 50mm in size from a nearby Hobby Lobby store. My first couple of tries were with circular UV filters, but that can get expensive fast.
Frank Ladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2005, 07:07 PM   #317
Major Player

Oh my lord Oscar, that side by side is incredible!!! they look almost the same - you have reached the pinnacle I think. No light loss, it looks like - when can we see a night shot?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2005, 07:24 PM   #318
Major Player

Where did you get the microwax? I have to get my hands on some....
Matthew Wauhkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2005, 07:34 PM   #319
Major Player

Yep, I am going to get some myself!
Old June 13th, 2005, 06:58 AM   #320
Major Player

I found it at a hobby store that sell lost of suppliers for candle making. In my country it's called micro-wax. I got micro-wax 'soft', but that's no problem, the melting point is high. I'll post some new shot's if I have a chance today.
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 07:19 AM   #321
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Spier
I'll post some new shot's if I have a chance today.
We do not want some more shots... We saw enough already ! (rotf)

At the beginning there was an idea, then the ambition came and the idea became to be a dream... The Satisfied Dream => http://film.datriware.com
Daves Spi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 11:17 AM   #322
Major Player

Speak for yourself.
Old June 13th, 2005, 01:26 PM   #323
Major Player

The previous post was clearly a joke, Jim (as a paraphrase to an earlier similar comment I guess)
The image is awesome by all means (vigneting I think is still a bit visible though, but you guys are there...) Show us till it hurts no mo... ;'-(<
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 06:19 PM   #324
Major Player

So this is my own "guerrilla35 war". (their 'static gg' footage really triggered me) Dan, your right about the vignetting, I went to a photo equipment shop, but couldn't find the center grad filter. Try some other shops this week.

I shot allot of today with only the sunlight coming from the windows. Until now, also with a smaller aperture on the camcorder I don't see any grain from the microwax. In movements maybe you could notice some vage still structure, but it could just as well be something on the monitor glass.

Sorry Daves, here are some frames from the footage:
http://doublecam.250free.com/wax/microwax/
I'm happy with the fruit shots, because they were shot with just a little light from a window 4 meters away.
Old June 13th, 2005, 07:05 PM   #325
Major Player

Looks good Oscar. Are you finding that closure the iris is combating the grain problem, but in contrast, causing the problem of alot of light loss?
Old June 14th, 2005, 01:21 AM   #326
Regular Crew

Quote:
So this is my own "guerrilla35 war".
Yes. You are definitely like me. When I was building my adapter, I take it also as my little personal war against everything what I saw before... Simply, I just wanted to have best image OR at least have one of the best... lol... And I am happy to left most of expensive adapters behind me... So understand you very well, wish you luck (even if you do not need it), and hope you got my previous joke...

At the beginning there was an idea, then the ambition came and the idea became to be a dream... The Satisfied Dream => http://film.datriware.com
Daves Spi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 05:07 AM   #327
Major Player

I got your joke Daves and like to repeat Jim: Speak for yourself. I was about to cry Haalleeluujaah, but than again, I didn't oscillate anything.
Leo, <<<Are you finding that closure the iris is combating the grain problem, but in contrast, causing the problem of allot of light loss?>>>
No, I meant that even the closure the iris doesn't give any noticeable grain(which would normally be the case). I have about 1 or 2 stops light loss, which is no problem.

Last edited by Oscar Spierenburg; June 14th, 2005 at 07:01 AM.
Old June 18th, 2005, 11:48 AM   #328
Major Player

Quote:
I thought about parking my car in the shower when I wanted to paint it 'dust free', but I didn't even get it through the front door.
You either need to buy a smaller car or use a faster speed.
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2005, 05:01 PM   #329
Major Player

No, I'll just wax my car with micro-wax so I don't need to paint it, Bill.

After some outdoor shots I am happy with the results. No grain (seriously), only some vage still structure because the small aperture due to allot of sunlight. I'm thinking maybe with sunlight a gray filter would give a better result because the camcorders aperture would be bigger. Maybe on the adapter or on the camcorder. Any thoughts?
Old June 18th, 2005, 05:42 PM   #330
Major Player

Oscar,
First: Leave the car and the cat out of this.... (for now)
Second: In an "ideal" (subject to defining ideal) world, the light would be just right for every scene and no one would even notice some "structure" due to less than "required" light + certain camcorder's behaviour at less than required light.
Untill that happens, I have noticed quite a few times a patern using the camcorder alone (no IMAGE CONVERTER) It happened in less than ideal light. Noise? AGC? Ugly for sure! So.... I think what you have is as good as it could be for the real world. Seeking perfection is a life and health ruining road. It never ends for nothing is perfect and "only perfect can create perfect" (how could an imperfect creature do a perfect "thing" or job?)......
Third: If you add an ND filter (purchase or home made)on the SLR lens you will only cut down the light reaching the screen. Camcorder's iris will open to compensate. But this way, the 'WHATEVER' structure might become more visible. I would keep the SLR lens wide open (no filters) and
1) use an ND filter on the camcorder's lens (to keep the iris open)(althought I did not understand why?) or
2) increase the shutter speed (for the same puropse) or
3) while keeping the iris open on camcorder (using ND or shutter speed) manual focus A TOUCH soft on the screen. See what happens. I loved the
FX. Not consistent though and subject to each scene readjusting focus..... but nice.
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods