Microcrystalline Wax Techniques? - Page 28 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old July 29th, 2005, 09:15 PM   #406
Major Player

Use earwax for a nice sepia effect. :)
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 04:20 AM   #407
Major Player

Bill, I'm sitting on an IKEA chair right now. And we have those hotdogs too at the exit.
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 03:22 PM   #408
New Boot

Wax crystals

I just rescently purchased a bag of "translucent crystals" from the hobby store. They are made to raise the melting point of wax and embed things in wax candles.

They are little pellets that melt at 210F.

Is this the same as "micro-wax"?

thank you
Scott Grocott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 04:51 PM   #409
Major Player

Scott, it's probably not the same, but an additive like stearine or Vybar, but who knows, maybe it's even better. I think no one here has tested it before. If you do a quick test, look at it with a magnifying glass. I you see the grain without it, than it's not as good as micro wax.
Old July 31st, 2005, 06:12 PM   #410
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Spier
Bill, I'm sitting on an IKEA chair right now. And we have those hotdogs too at the exit.

Was the chair imported from the US?
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 08:48 AM   #411
Major Player

No, but maybe the hotdogs were.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 10:13 AM   #412
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Grocott
I just rescently purchased a bag of "translucent crystals" from the hobby store. They are made to raise the melting point of wax and embed things in wax candles.

They are little pellets that melt at 210F.

Is this the same as "micro-wax"?

thank you
I looked into that before and was going to try some of that stuff that my girlfriend had left over from her candle making days. I had a small bag there somewhere but before I had a chance to try it I found my microwax.

I'm going to try to make some new lenses soon. Oscar your method seems great I was trying it the other day, but I got to ambitious and was trying to do 2 sets in the same pan of wax and while i'd get one positioned it would throw the other one off so I'm going to try again and try to just get one set good set in a pan.
Keith Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 10:26 AM   #413
Major Player

Well I haven't gotten wax on my hands in a few months now, but I think I'm gonna give it another shot using the horizontal (non-capillary) method. This method would require way less wax since I don't have to heat up a half-pound block to submerge the glass vertically... so that is a real plus.

I'm curious to see how well microwax adapters work with HD cameras. Any of you guys w/ wax adapters have access to do a test like this?

Last edited by Frank Ladner; August 2nd, 2005 at 11:55 AM.
Frank Ladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 11:49 AM   #414
Major Player

Frank, it's not real HD, but I'll put a wax glass in my 'double cam' (two camera's split the image in two and create 1080 x 720 image). I start on that this month if I have some time.

Keith, good to hear from you again. If something does not work, let me know.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 11:55 AM   #415
Major Player

Thanks, Oscar!

That doublecam is something else, by the way. :-)
Frank Ladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2005, 07:30 PM   #416
Regular Crew

Gotta keep this thread alive . . .

OK. This is one of those projects that crawls like, well, warm wax. But out of desperation, I finally managed a contraption that would at least let me get a rough sense of what we're all here to accomplish. I'd ordered some PCX lenses from Surplus Shed (before I really knew how important diameter and focal length can be.) I've also been using rather large pieces of glass since I needed to improve the odds of getting some wax that actually would work for me. The CD containers are all over my office, so that wasn't a problem. The lens mount -- I'd got a c-mount for Nikkon lenses off ebay, and removed the c-mount portion of it. I used wax to "glue" everything together (doing all I could to keep this from looking like a highly refined competitor to anything else that has been produced thus far.)
So I combined all these elements with the engineering expertise of a 3-year old, and went outside to conquer the world. Or my backyard, in this case. The movie (10 mb, for Quicktime 7) is at http://mysite.verizon.net/divfotog2/ if you're interested.
Yes there's grain, the size of small ball-bearings. The vignetting moves with the adaptor (I had to hold the adaptor against the camera, and found it hard to keep everything straight). But it works! I love the highlights in Ally's hair.
So what if half the picture is tape and wax, it's the content that counts, right?
Glen Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2005, 09:42 PM   #417
Major Player

Good job! Glad to see one more person having some fun with their adapter.
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #418
Major Player

Weird...

I did some capillary action tests between microwax and beeswax. The microwax cooled evenly, while the beeswax cooled in an ugly, very uneven pattern that would not be useable.

But the grain pattern was MUCH finer for the beesax. Odd. It transmits considerably more light, too, although I'm not sure if the thickness is the same.
Matthew Wauhkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 05:00 PM   #419
Major Player

I stopped down to f22 and didn't see any "grain" per se, even when shooting at the evenly white sky, although there was tons of dust and the wax had waves and junk in it. I also cooled it rapidly which probably resulted in both the waves and small grain pattern.

Anyhow, I'll do more tests in a week or so when I get back from my vacation.
Matthew Wauhkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 05:08 PM   #420
Major Player

Matthew (reply to your first post), that's why I don't use capillary action. The wax has to 'suck' through a very small space and it looks like it widens(spread) the grain structure. One of the reasons I put the glass horizontal and flip the second glass on top is because it compresses the wax structure in a way. And you can make it as thin as you like.
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods