Microcrystalline Wax Techniques? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old November 19th, 2004, 02:17 PM   #61
Major Player

Aaron: I can't say exactly the thickness of the wax in precise units, but it's however thick a piece of scotch tape is folded twice.
;-)

It is maybe not transparent enough. It really wants a lot of light, but I don't have as bad of a hotspot problem. It seems to distribute more evenly.

Aaron: I've heard the wax paper mentioned before. Not sure if there's been any success with it, though. Seems like the paper bits or whatever would show up. It is worth a try, though.

Hrm...I wonder if you could use something that light in conjunction with a piezo element to get a quick vibration that maybe isn't possible with a comparitavely heavy piece of glass.
You would just have to be sure the paper vibrates in a uniform fashion and stays straight.
Frank Ladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2004, 01:13 AM   #62
Major Player

Paraffin

Hey guys!

I'm glad there are still people downloading the footage! I was afraid that the computer and connection wouldn't be able to handle it.

I just got back from a hobby store, where I purchased some more cheap picture frames and some paraffin wax. I have only used microcrystalline wax for this application so paraffin is a first. I just melted it and poured it in a cup w/ the prepared glass sandwich and it is now cooling. I've been checking back on it periodically and it looks like the stuff takes a lot longer to cool than microcrystalline. Seemed to take longer to melt, also. Maybe next go around I can time it.

Anyhow, if this works as well as the microcrystalline I'll be quite happy since it is a lot more readily available.

How are you guys coming along?
Old November 22nd, 2004, 12:11 PM   #63
Regular Crew

frank that footage is great...i was just abut to finish my mini35 design and u show me this!!!...:)

is it possible u send another footage in the outside and another in the dark...so we can see the responce of the grains to light?
Dogus Aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 01:19 PM   #64
Major Player

Thank you for the compliment, Dogus!

I have already shot some more footage with the adapter and will try to have it ready to upload in the next day or so.

Thanks for the interest!

Also, in my previous post I mentioned trying paraffin wax. Well I don't think it will work for this purpose. The grain is very noticeable as compared to microcrystalline.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 01:35 PM   #65
Major Player

hmm interesting Frank. Could you post a few grabs of the grain associated with the Paraffin wax?
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 01:43 PM   #66
Major Player

Aaron: In the next day or two I'll try and put up some pictures of the adapter, and a framegrab w/ the paraffin.
Old December 7th, 2004, 03:53 AM   #67
Regular Crew

Hi, somoene did more tests on the wax solution ??
Where did you buy the wax ? (I wasn't able to find any online shop with clear specifications except the one posted in this thread).

I got another idea for the wax solution, what about spray wax, the one used for car maintenance ??
MAYBE this could be created without using two pieces of glass, but MAYBE is it possible to just spray one side of a UV filter and get a reasonably accurate film... "shooting" staying quite distant from the lens...

What do u think ?? That polishing wax is quite cheap so it won't be a problem doing some tests....
Dario Corno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2004, 06:02 AM   #68
Major Player

Hi
once I found a link
to a guy in France

Yes I'm living there
but not French by the way

who makes a Boscreen
with a liquid something
between parafine and oil
not cheap
but no grain
Régine Weinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2004, 06:58 AM   #69
Regular Crew

Can u please try to find the address again ??? it whould be nice form e (living in Italy) :D
Dario Corno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2004, 01:51 PM   #70
Major Player

sorry but the guy is out of business
so sorry but
it has been 2000 I've spoken to him
Régine Weinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2004, 04:05 PM   #71
Major Player

Try Strahl and Pitch wax -- they might deliver internationally. Ask them for a sample.

Sorry for my long absence -- just got around to working on a new microwax adapter tonight. The wax is solidifiying as I type this :)

- jim
Old December 7th, 2004, 09:22 PM   #72
Major Player

Just figured out the hard way that fingerprints are a bitch :)

So, as someone already stated and I'm now going to emphasize -- clean both sides of your glass before placing it in the wax -- oil from fingerprints formed on the inside will prevent the wax from taking to the surface evenly.

On a bright note, no bubbles :)

- jim
Jim Lafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2004, 10:43 PM   #73
Major Player

Initial experiences with my adapter have proven disappointing.

Frank, did you blend the micro wax with paraffin? I ask because the grain of my adapter is significantly greater than that of yours. I'm uploading full res footage now to show you what I mean...

Also, I'm wondering if perhaps I made the gap between filters too wide -- I folded the foil twice over, so it was four pieces thick in the end, and rolled it flat with a rolling pin. Maybe it should be only one or two pieces thick.

More experimentation and footage soon...

- jim
Old December 9th, 2004, 07:37 AM   #74
Inner Circle

Jim.

I tried the blend suggested some time back of 10% bleached beeswax in paraffin wax when I made the wax composite disks for the spinner. The disks were separated by only one thickness of cooking foil. When put against a strongly contrasted background, the disk could almost be seen through.

The waxdisk*.jpg images in www.dvinfo.net/media/hart came from that. Those I now realise are not valid for a fixed groundglass test.

Another option might be to try your microcrystalline wax and a bleached beeswax blend.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2004, 07:40 AM   #75
Major Player

Jim: I have not mixed the different waxes. All my first experiments were of pure microcrystalline. The last thing I tried was paraffin-only, which yielded more grain than the micro-only version.
Frank Ladner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods