Consolidated XL1 35mm Adapter Thread - Page 18 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 16th, 2005, 10:37 AM   #256
Major Player

Steev, that video clip is freaking awesome! :-D
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2005, 07:30 PM   #257
Major Player

After a brief email exchange with Steev, I suggested (as a test) to use a CMOS/CCD lens as a "relay lens". They are small and inexpensive (every webcam/survailance has them)
and hold it in the XL's mount (by tape for now and obviously without the 16X mounted) (as an alternative to SLR 20mm for the same purpose) I did not test them yet, but I guess a 6 , 8 or 12mm will do.
Note: most web come with 3.6 or 4.2mm lens (so wider than ideal for this application. Might distort the image and/or not give you the full brightness to cornes from Fresnel/GG if you move too clos e to GG as to fill the screen.

When you can get a clean image of a B Card with a recangle 24/36mm (or whatever size you can use from medium Beattie about 32/45mm?) than all you need is the XL male mount (as from the 16X lens) to mount them on the camcorder and hold them together.

The "whole adapter" would be : Prime lens (Nikon? or else) 46.5mm to GG, XL mount and (inside) lens for the CCD.

This is (IMHO) the most efficient way to get the "look" without going too "hard" on the XL's mount (to support the extra weight) and without a "need" for rods. (unless you need FF or remote focus)
I would be happy to hear a sucessful test came out of this.
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2005, 08:07 PM   #258
Major Player

I'll second that "freaking awesome!" comment about the vid... Steev, great stuff.

For some time I've thought that doing an a spinning GG option would be easier to do then a static one--- I'm still not 100% sure that it is not the case but Steev, you've been doing some fantastic work for everyone!!!!
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2005, 08:16 PM   #259
Major Player

Well, I keep getting rejuvenated spirit. Glutton for experimentation.

Bob, I thought of going up in GG diameter but with Beattie screens, that is wayyyy expensive experimentation. I feel that going for a different relay lens is the way to go. I can only dream of getting the prism version going (which means forgetaboutit - I'll end up buying the P+S by then after finishing projects with my home brew).

I ripped apart 3 video cameras yesterday:

http://www.holyzoo.com/111/video/Zoo..._01-15-05c.mov I think this sums up how much work all this is.

I extracted their lenses, and only one resulted in an image that I could get by holding it up to the XL2 CCD and holding the GG up to the front of the lens. To be blunt, it looked like shit. I think the CCD of the camera from which I snagged it from was 1/4".

So I'm in the process of fetching/looking for higher quality c-mount lenses on ebay.

By looking at BHphoto, I'm learning that these lenses come in 1/4" all the way to 1" My first guess is to go for 1" 25mm or so. If I go with smaller lenses, my question is does the requirement for focal length move towards wider or more telephoto? For example would a 1/3" need to be more like a 8mm? This is where I'm lost, in the dark.

If I find a c-mount that works with test positioning, I'd get an adapter built to mount on to the XL mount.

My other concern is that these C-mount lenses will require a smaller diameter GG (focus screen) when I've already invested in a 2" width format.

Who knows......
Steev Dinkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 08:10 PM   #260
Major Player

Steev,

can you tell me what codec this clip uses - i can smoothly open and play your other clips but not this one.

http://www.holyzoo.com/111/xl2/video...Wide_Test6.mov

thanks,

filip

p.s.

your film in park with kids is just amazing!
Filip Kovcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 09:10 PM   #261
Major Player

Filip, that clip is in DV50 codec. It may not play very well in a browser window, but should play fine in quicktime player or final cut pro in a sequence set to DV50 codec. I'm using DV50 after 4:1:1 Color Smoothing in Final Cut Pro to get rid of DV25's awful handling of reds, etc.

Thanks for the kudos! The kids in the park was a standard Canon XL lens, which reminds me - non 35mm imaging is great too!!
Old January 18th, 2005, 06:18 AM   #262
Major Player

Steev... you are a madman. LOL!!

Great vid and I'm happy the bunny made a cameo---
Old January 18th, 2005, 02:10 PM   #263
Major Player

Steve, have you tested this footage on a 16:9 tv? HD for instance? I'm interested in how obvious the grain is when blown up to TV size.
Old January 18th, 2005, 02:42 PM   #264
Major Player

Aaron, I don't have an HD TV or large TV. If you have such a TV, I can post a DVD image that you can burn and play on a DVD Player on your TV.

I guess I haven't been driven to test it like that since I've been critiquing the footage on an Apple 23" Cinema Display (no slouch).

*Steev Ramble Time*

I was watching music videos on FUSE on digital cable last night and thinking about how much fast cutting and movement is going on and with intentional grain/noise introduced, and was left thinking that for that kind of work, this level of optical quality is cool cool cool. For a short film with much slower pacing and lots of money thrown at the production, lights, props, talent, and crew - I'm not sure how I'd feel about relying on this homebrew method. The subject would have to be experimental where imperfections are more than okay since it would be more about "hey we have this grand idea and know how to communicate it, so here it is". I'd guess audiences will concentrate on the story, the acting, the editing, the energy, not whether they saw slight grain blowout on brighter out of focus parts of the image, or if that spec of dust over here and there. And like any gear, it would be crucial to know what's going to look good given the medium, and what will look bad. Am I rationalizing? Yup!! :) I'll be working on some short pieces soon and perhaps I'll post them, including burnable DVD image, so it can be critiqued.

Hoping that a low cost moving glass invention surfaces some day,

steev
www.holyzoo.com/zoo_updates.php
Old January 18th, 2005, 02:48 PM   #265
Major Player

Thanks for the info Steev :)

BTW, does anyone know why highlights tend to blow out when using these adapters? It really bothers me at times!
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:18 PM   #266
Major Player

I just noticed that there was an XL2 thread started.... it looks like our effort to focus all the XL development (since the XL1 and 2 both use the same lenses and adapter) is getting spread out again.
Old January 19th, 2005, 09:17 PM   #267
Major Player

Kevin, as background, I didn't start the XL2 thread, but have posted a bunch in it, and some posts in this one.

However, starting reading from scratch on this thread has been painful for me. Don't get me wrong - this thread has been crucial research, but my question remains - who has had success on this mission? And where are some summarizing applications and documentation?

Could there be a new thread with detailed successes posted at the top to begin with?
Old January 19th, 2005, 09:40 PM   #268
Major Player

don't get me wrong... it was my suggestion that prompted the consolidated XL1 thread--- the idea of reading all the way makes my brain bleed too.

I'd love to start a new thread for new ideas but it never seems to work out that way.

You are the man of the hour Steev, you are currently our best hope for a successful design at the moment so whatever you say goes but I just hate to see people running around in different threads duplicated work being done elsewhere when we could all be working together.

I'm still amazed that with all the XL model cameras out there that we haven't been able to get a solid design and further along with an Aldus or an Agus 35 option... but unfortunately my brain isn't good for this sort of thing. I've got ideas but just not the hard core tech skills to build with.

I'd just love to have us get something going and I've been hoping that the XL2 coming out would envigorate the efforts.
Old January 19th, 2005, 09:52 PM   #269
Major Player

Amen.

Brain Bleed - Yes. :)

I see your point - I'll shift my posts to this thread in the future instead of the other one.

Again, this sums up what I've gotten to work to some degree:

www.holyzoo.com/zoo_updates.php
Old January 20th, 2005, 11:50 AM   #270
Major Player

For one, I am surprised there are so many threads. I think we should take a more modular approach. The adaptor segment from 35mm lens through GG should really be interchangable, all that should differ is the registration length to focus different lenses on the GG. Assuming this is done correctly, it should always result in an identical imaging area on the GG.

The segment from GG to camera is what differs from camera to camera, based on the camera. The variables are the minimum focus distance for each camera, and what length spacing and macro lenses may be necessary to focus on the imaging area, and any step-up/step-down required.
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods