Canon XL-1 Relaylens (original, now merged w/ consolidated XL1 thread) - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old July 22nd, 2004, 09:39 AM   #76
Regular Crew

anders,
for your relay lens, what kind of lens are you using? also, what kind of connector/adapter are you using also to attach the lens to the canon body also?

-dr
Dino Reyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2004, 07:20 AM   #77
Regular Crew

It's a Infinite Conjugate Micro Video Imaging Lens - designed for use in micro CCD board cameras.

Focal Length (mm) 2.90
Max. CCD Format 1/3"
Angular FOV >79°
Min. Working Distance 200mm
Minimum FOV 330mm
Mounting Thread M12 x 0.5

I planned to make the mount myself. So I first made som tests to find out the proper distance to the ccd. But I couldn't get it in focus. You can also buy a c-mount adaptor for this type of lens. Can you make anything out of the specs?
Anders Floe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2004, 11:07 AM   #78
Regular Crew

anders,
yes, i understand the idea. but just looking at what you propose, would make it more difficult to complete overall.

I'm afraid you'd be much better off making a very inexpensive-but good-Agus35. That is the model with the spinning ground glass. You can make one for about $30 or less... this will get you up and running cheaper and faster than what your thinking of putting together now...

just a thought...
-dino
Dino Reyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2004, 08:55 PM   #79
Major Player

What adapter and lens would you use for an AGUS35? I'm at the point where I'm thinking that if it's good enough for the Mini35, it's good enough for me to use.
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2004, 06:21 PM   #80
Regular Crew

Location: Augusta georgia 15min. from Aiken S.Carolina and 2 hours from Atlanta
dino

dino reyes, how are you coming along with your adapter?

do you have recent pics?

i really like the way patrick wright's setup looks, and the depth of field looks great, but he mentioned trying the gg for a less video look so i assume he's not happy with his set up. i like the fact that it doesn't make the camera look too long.

i'm still trying to weed through the forum and find out who has the adapter that yeilds the best results, if you can give me the name of the person that i need to talk to that would be nice, also fell free to e-mail me at mrpatrick357@hotmail.com for any updates in your project.
Patrick Falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2004, 06:27 PM   #81
Regular Crew

Location: Augusta georgia 15min. from Aiken S.Carolina and 2 hours from Atlanta
to patrick wright

hey, patrick can you e-mail some costs of this setup, and explain to me if you feel that a ground glass will make a huge difference in the way your footage looks without it?

with the dof that you are obtaining do you think that you can get the less video look in post to achieve the same look you would get with ground glass? i like the fact that your camera looks like it doesn't need any special mounts or support. it looks like your cam will be stable on a good tripod.
Patrick Falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2004, 07:33 PM   #82
Major Player

It would be great if any stuff like that got posted to this thread so we can all share in it and perhaps help each other develop this project together.
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2004, 05:02 PM   #83
Regular Crew

I'm still experimenting with the relaylens. I can't believe that it should be so complicated. All you need is the right piece of glass and a mount. I'm having trouble making one because I get all my knowledge of lenses from experimenting. I basicly don't know anything about lenses. I took an old photocamera lens apart an held one of the several pieces of glass in front of the camera CCD and it shoved a nice picture (though not wide enough). So it should be possible with a single piece of glass...or??? I really need help from somebody who know lenses!

Can anybody tell my which glass I should get a hold of???

Thanks!
Old August 17th, 2004, 10:02 PM   #84
Regular Crew

Anders, I am also trying to figure out a relay lens for my camera. So far it seems like the easiest way it's been done was with a 35mm still lens and an adapter, but there has to be a better way. If anyone has any ideas of what type of glass we might need to accomplish this please give us some advice. I know I sure could use some. Is there a better/cheaper way to do this other than using an adapter and 35mm still lens?
Keith Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2004, 07:18 AM   #85
Regular Crew

To : Christoph Hopf

I found this on the net:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/product/46335/SC2595X/REG/3662

Is that what you are referring to?

Shouldn't we just keep the xl-1 relaylens discussion in this thread instead of having to keep up with two identical threads?
Old September 5th, 2004, 06:02 AM   #86
New Boot

sorry folks,

somehow i didn`t noticed that there is a allready a existing thread about this subject.
i am quite sure that p&s technik use this schneider xenonlense for the relay lense.

now i am thinking about to order only the relay lense from p&s Technik. maybe it`s possible??
Christoph Hopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2004, 10:31 AM   #87
Regular Crew

That would really be awesome! I think the list price is about 1500 euro or something for the whole connection kit. I wonder would the lens alone would cost?

I don't think that you should mention what you want to use it for! The only way they would sell the lens alone would be if you already had bought the adaptor but you had broken the lens!??

Give it a try (tell them you have broken 2 ;-)
Old September 6th, 2004, 11:00 AM   #88
New Boot

my aunt lives in munich, and works for arri. maybe she know one of the p&s guys. i will call her. next week i should know if i can buy the relay lense alone
Christoph Hopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2004, 11:37 AM   #89
Regular Crew

That sounds really nice! I have been considering buying one from the start but haven't because of the price. So if it's possible for you to buy it seperately I really want to buy one as well.
Old September 12th, 2004, 02:12 AM   #90
Regular Crew

you needn't call her it is possible.

Part No. 18770 Mini35Digital connecting kit for Canon XL1 / XL1s, incl. Intermediate lens, plate for fixing the video camera, adapter for Canon battery , ergonomic holder for color finder.
Price: 1530,00 EUR

source: www.pstechnik.de
Dietmar Zonewicz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods