Canon XL-1 Relaylens (original, now merged w/ consolidated XL1 thread) - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 15th, 2004, 06:15 AM   #106
Regular Crew

I was wondering about the whole prism (rotate image) question. Doesn't the prism and mirror steal F-stops??
Because on the XL-1 you can simply flip the eyepiece to the other side and the image is corrected. Then in post you can just use the:

http://www.leadtools.com/SDK/Multimedia/Direct-Show-Filters/Multimedia-DirectShow-Rotate.htm

during capture (without loss I hope). If this is true then I would rather avoid bothering with prism and mirrors.

Or am I wrong???
Anders Floe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2004, 07:21 AM   #107
Regular Crew

We can sell the relay lens for Euro 900,- (round $ 1.115,-)

We found a cheaper one, but i dont know how good it is. We check it next 2 weeks

A mount adapter (to connect the lens to the Canon) cost Euro 198,- ( $ 245,- )

BTW: only with this lens (without the other GG adapter parts) you can make good night shoots. ( F stop = 0,95 )

Anders,
yes, the prism "steal" a little bit light but. In F-stops? I think only 0,05.

The prism is a expensive part, because you need a "big on" with inside more than 40mm diameter and it must be color corrected. I will check out the best price till next week Without the prism you need 10cm more distance.
Rai Orz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2004, 07:54 AM   #108
Regular Crew

I don't understand why it needs to have 10 cm more distance!
In a normal still-camera the lens is only about 5 cm from the film... I can see that without the prism and mirror the light will travel a shorter distance but... I'm sure that you are correct but could you explain it to me?

I would properly be interested in buying a colorcorrected prism then - So it would really like to know the best price you find.

In the PDF file showing the PRO35 there is something called "Schutz glas" - Is that a fresnel??

Thanks
Old October 15th, 2004, 08:13 AM   #109
New Boot

schutzglas means protective glas
Christoph Hopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2004, 08:13 AM   #110
Regular Crew

The way through a prism is longer than the prism outside. A still-camera have also build in a prism. So the way in a still-camera is also more then the outside dimensions.

But in different to the still-camera prism, you need a bigger one, because the relay lens have more than 30mm light circle. Thats why you need the big prism and thats why it take more distance.

Okay, you can mount a macro lens in front of the relaylens to reduce the distance, but than you will have some distortions.

The "SCHUTZ GLAS(S)" is only a clear glass to protect (SCHUTZ=protection) the inside parts for dust and dirt.

To reduce (elimate) the hot spot there is a convex lens with the plan side very near behind the vibration GG (sorry last day i call this condenser, thats wrong)
Rai Orz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2004, 10:45 AM   #111
Regular Crew

You say that the prism is expensive - what are talking here, $100 ? $500??????
Old October 18th, 2004, 09:01 AM   #112
Obstreperous Rex

Per member's requests, this thread has been merged with the Consolidated XL1 35mm Adapter thread -- this original copy is left intact for your viewing pleasure, but please direct all replies to the new monster we've created using the link above. Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods