DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   P&S Working on Adapter for HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/33805-p-s-working-adapter-hdr-fx1.html)

Carl Merritt October 21st, 2004 05:22 PM

P&S Working on Adapter for HDR-FX1

I wrote an email asking if they were going to work on an adapter for the FX1, this is the response I received:
Quote:

Thanks for your email.

We are working on a connecting kit for this camera. It will be available at the beginning of 2005.

Best regards
P+S Technik GmbH
Lilo
I guess that means they are working on one.

Dennis Hingsberg October 24th, 2004 06:03 PM

That's great that they will make the connecting kit for the FX1, I don't think it was ever done for the JVC.

Carl are you planning to go the FX1/mini35 route, and if so maybe you wouldn't mind sharing some of your reasons for chosing HD over SD.

Obviously the biggest thing going for the FX1 is the resolution. No doubt. I guess my question for anyone thinking of going the HD FX1 route would be where they think ultimately that resolution will be seen, or how will it be seen.

Carl Merritt October 24th, 2004 08:23 PM

I am one of the multitudes hoping to make a movie using DV, or in this case HDV, equipment. I love that I get can the shallow DOF of 35mm.

However, the expense of renting FX1/mini35 for 5 weeks is probably close to just buying it.
At which point I will ask myself, and price out, the cost of just shooting S16 film... In either case I would be running sound separately with equipment to which I have access.

So basically, the extra detail of 1080HDV would hopefully come in handy during a video->film transfer, should I be so lucky to need one.

That's my rationale.

Dennis Hingsberg October 24th, 2004 09:16 PM

Carl, don't forget you can always buy the mini35 and FX1 and then sell it after your shoot is over. Losing 25% of what you paid will still cost you less than renting it for 5 weeks.

Do you have any concern that the MPEG2 compression scheme is employed in the FX1? There are debates going on about compression artifacts, editing issues and other post production woes related to MPEG2.

Eric MacIver October 25th, 2004 11:26 AM

Carl - note, however, that you MAY also need to purchase or rent the lenses. You can talk to us for long-term rentals of that equipment and I generally can make you a deal that makes rental the most cost-effective solution.

However, if you do buy, then sell - let me know when you sell as we may be interested in buying.

Thanks, and good luck.

Brandt Ryan October 25th, 2004 06:55 PM

Sorry for the newbie question--but isn't the mini35 adapter for putting 35mm film lenses on the camera? I thought only Canon's Xl1s and Xl2's had interchangeable lenses?

Eric MacIver October 25th, 2004 07:18 PM

The adapter goes "after-the-lens" of the Panasonic, Sony, etc... so that the camera's use their built in lenses to photograph the imaging area of the mini35, which has the 35mm lenses attached to it.

Brandt Ryan October 26th, 2004 05:05 AM

Thanks for the clarification!

<<<-- Originally posted by Eric MacIver : The adapter goes "after-the-lens" of the Panasonic, Sony, etc... so that the camera's use their built in lenses to photograph the imaging area of the mini35, which has the 35mm lenses attached to it. -->>>