Rai & Markus' "Drake" HD camera - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old March 31st, 2005, 08:31 AM   #196
Inner Circle

Yes, I like this design compared to the last version, looks more like a classic series in the making. Kinetta(??) should start being worried. I think this one looks more like a cinema camera, and the Kinetta like an odd camcorder.

I give it the Big Wink ;)
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 08:47 AM   #197
Regular Crew

Viewfinder

@Ivan,
In general, viewfinder is no problem. Now, scince we solved the problem of displaying 720p full resolution on one viewing device and downscaled in a good quality on another viewing device both in realtime at the same time, there can be all sorts of combinations. It's just that we couldn't find a decent viewfinder >PAL resolution yet for a reasonable price.

@Wayne,
good to hear that you like the new design. All the questions and wishlists by the community were really helpful to improve the thing up to this point. The concept is still modular, the sensor head can still be detached (no more sweat, operating a steadycam) and we can now work with our experiences and the software on future sensors. So I guess, this is the first upgradable camera been build...

Cheers
Markus
Markus Rupprecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 03:59 PM   #198
Major Player

Has it built in hard drive? How about 35 mm adapter? Will you build it with Altasens CMOS? How much will it cost?

Radek
Radek Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 06:07 PM   #199
Major Player

Markus,
I have got a nice :) email from Rai. I replied but he is busy (like always). Contact me off list please since it will take forever for him to check his mailbox.
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 01:48 AM   #200
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Markus Rupprecht :
(no more sweat, operating a steadycam) and we can now work with our experiences and the software on future sensors. So I guess, this is the first upgradable camera been build... -->>>

Yes, classic, it is good to have equipment you like keeping for life (like the old days).
Old April 1st, 2005, 11:01 AM   #201
Trustee

Dan is that your 35mm adaptor on that system? could it be?
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 11:06 AM   #202
Major Player

Was wondering if you guys could make a mount to hold Arri 35 primes?
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 03:17 PM   #203
Major Player

Obin,
Any 1 or 3 CCD/CMOS (of any size; 1/4", 1/3", 1/2" or 2/3" ) can record images of a GG (with the appropriate hi rez lens for the given CCD/CMOS size) thus enabling the prime's DOF be captured electronically. As long as chips will be smaller than 18/24 mm, what I have done has an application (for the purpose of shallow DOF) Whenever they will be fully "grown up" and mass produced, the GG and all this work will not be needed anymore. Is going to be a while though ...(I hope)

Gary,
Pl mounts are sold by many:
http://www.visualproducts.com
http://www.cinematechnic.com/products/PL_Mount_Adapt_ARRIBay.html
To many to list, just goggle for PL.

Now,... some are even matching my sense of humor:
http://www.visualproducts.com/storeProductDetail02.asp?productID=653&Cat=3&Cat2=42

I'll get two (for breakfast)
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 10:21 PM   #204
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Dan Diaconu
Now,... some are even matching my sense of humor:
http://www.visualproducts.com/storeProductDetail02.asp?productID=653&Cat=3&Cat2=42

I'll get two (for breakfast) -->>>

I hope that price is in Italian Lira ;)
Old April 2nd, 2005, 02:28 AM   #205
Trustee

so dan is that your system on the camera or not?
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 07:57 AM   #206
Regular Crew

The camera currently doesn't utilize a GG unit. We find our collection of 2/3" lenses (really fast, most are f <1.0) very good. They are part of the system and define the "look" of the camera. The front part you see is the camera head, containing the sensor. It is detachable if you need it.

www.drachenfeder.com/int/drake6a.jpg
www.drachenfeder.com/int/drake6b.jpg
Markus Rupprecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 02:13 PM   #207
Major Player

dof

That looks great, guys. It is so nice to see a modular design
with upgrade path for bigger better cmos chips.
The first clip made with the drake showed a shallow depth of field. I think you are right in not giving up resolution for a marginal increase in depth of field your 2/3 chip with ultra fast lens seems more than enough in creating this look. I would much rather save my money for the 1080p chip, solving the problem once and for all. These cameras also have some very green sensibilities. We won't have to landfill perfectly good cameras just to get the newest technology in chips, and we will be able to cut back on the manufacturing of tapes as storage gets smaller.

thank,s again your camera looks realy cool

Richard Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 02:32 PM   #208
Major Player

Once the magazine hits in April will you be able to post a copy or link to it.
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 04:59 PM   #209
Regular Crew

... 3 days till the story come out (magazin CUT), yes, link will come...

Time for more details?

As Markus say, Drake need no 35mm adapter, because with those extreme fast lenses (f stop under 1) our 2/3" CMOS produced near 35mm DOF. This work, because our sensor have NO build in microlenses. Why dont use other camera manufactors those lenses? Why cant you find HDTV primes with those wide open iris? Why say people, those lenses are not sharp? Its because ALL other sensors, CCD´s or CMOS have build in microlenses (from Canon over Altasens to Varicam). But with microlenses and f stops under 1:1.4 the pictures washed out. Drake have no microlenses (also DALSA and ARRI), thats why it work. See also this DALSA PDF (Page 7):

http://www.dalsa.com/dc/documents/Im...8-00_03-70.pdf

Another point about Drake´s sensor: Fillfactory produced also the IBIS4 14000. It work in KODAKs DCS Pro 14n digital still reflex camera (its a full negative-size 35mm color imager with 14 megapixel resolution) This is one of the worlds top high end cameras. Internal IBIS4 and IBIS5 based on the same technologie.

Mono VIEWFINDER: Times are changed. Now, Drake got also(optional ?) a mono viewfinder.

BTW: I found a cheap way to build full resolution HDTV viewfinders. (full 720 and also full 1080, mono or color). Its crazy, but it work...
Rai Orz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 06:43 PM   #210
Trustee

Rai PLEASE tell me how your building HDTV viewfinders!! I want to know! GREAT WORK!
Obin Olson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods