DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Problem with canon fd lens on 35mm adapter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/351432-problem-canon-fd-lens-35mm-adapter.html)

Dimitris Mantalias September 2nd, 2009 07:05 AM

Problem with canon fd lens on 35mm adapter

Good day there folks. I've got a little problem that just occured today and I think this is the right place to ask. I have a Jag35 adapter and until today I was using a Nikon 52mm 1,8 lens with no problems. Today I tried a Canon FD 50mm and noticed that although the focus ring works as expected, the F ring is not. Of course it turns normally but the iris won't open or close inside the lens. At the beginning I thought it's damaged but then I heard that you've got to attach it in a Canon camera that supports the lens in order to use it. This is a real problem. Is there any kind soul in this beautiful forum that knows a workaround that will allow me to use the F?

Wayne Kinney September 2nd, 2009 09:53 AM

There is a pin on the back of FD lenses that needs to be fixed into position with a bit of wire or broken off toothpick to enable manual aperture.

Cris Hendrix September 2nd, 2009 10:55 AM

Does the FD lens automatically default to wide open if you leave the pin alone?

Dimitris Mantalias September 11th, 2009 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cris Hendrix (Post 1302682)
Does the FD lens automatically default to wide open if you leave the pin alone?

Sorry for not replying, but I was getting married! Well, shame on me, the lens were going wide open when I was attaching them to the adaptor but were closing when I was taking it out. I could see that the image was OK when on, but I couldn't change the exposure. Still can't, but I don't mind now, since it's OK to have it all way open and change it through the camera iris wheel.

Thanks for your replies guys! :)

Cris Hendrix September 12th, 2009 10:23 PM

Yeah I probably should've updated that. I have two lenses, an older 35 with silver ring, and a newer 50 with the black ring. Didn't really care about adjusting stops just wanted both lenses wide open. The 35 was already wide open, but the 50 I had to use the two screwdrivers, turn the inside ring till it 'locked', adjust to f1.4, then unlock it and it stayed open when putting it on the mount - all good!

Ben Winter October 26th, 2009 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris Mantalias (Post 1339315)
since it's OK to have it all way open and change it through the camera iris wheel.

Thanks for your replies guys! :)

DOF at full open is pretty, but you're using the full diameter of the lens entrance so you'll get a very soft image and aberration. You will find you get a much nicer picture if you stop down; my magic number is f2.8.