Alternatives to SI and Sumix - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old February 15th, 2005, 12:09 PM   #61
Regular Crew

A misunderstood: Shure DVCproHD is very, very high end. But i say, it will be not the best camera. We will see. Its like the statement "digital is better than analog". Just wait
Rai Orz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2005, 12:17 PM   #62
Inner Circle

Have they ever mentioned anything above 25mb/s stream? If they offer 50 or 100Mbs, that would be good, if they went for $9999, then maybe that is what they are planning, and many professionals would go for that.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2005, 01:00 PM   #63
Major Player

For Rai:

No, its not the best. Forgetting about broadcasting for the moment, they know now that there is a definite market for people who can't afford the best and are willing to make a few sacrifices in image quality in order to get something better than they had.

And that's the market you're going after, Rai. The indie filmmakers, the MiniDV guys who are tired of MiniDV and want something better. And price is a major, major component to guys like this. You can't just say "It's worth the price," because they'll come back with "But I can't afford the price," and they'll go with a cheaper, almost as good cam. And if the difference between the Panasonic and the Drake is $5K or more, a lot of people will go with the Panasonic (regardless of the extras the Drake has) because of that $5K.

The race just got a lot more cutthroat.

For Wayne:

According to Jan, it will do 25mb/s, 50mb/s, and 100mb/s (though you need the pricey PS2 card to do 50 and 100).
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2005, 01:41 PM   #64
Inner Circle

Not bad, but price. I think the drake will be much more value for money to a cinetographer.

So the codec on the Pana, how is it for motion artifacts, will they have variable comrpession to handle this? What image format does that record to tape again?

Thanks

Wayne.

Still back to reality if it's 10K, we are instead looking at 5K systems (variouse projects here) with a computer that could be used for editing and HDD that are much much much cheaper than P2. Now if it was $5K (no P2 included) then yes there is a case. Realistically, I think we can go much lower than $5K for some projects.

I think every project will go into different markets.
Old February 15th, 2005, 02:12 PM   #65
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Wayne Morellini : Not bad, but price. I think the drake will be much more value for money to a cinetographer. -->>>

For a lot of the guys who are going to be looking at these cameras, I think price is going to outweigh value, especially when the value of the cheaper camera isn't that bad.

<<<-- Originally posted by Wayne Morellini : Still back to reality if it's 10K, we are instead looking at 5K systems (variouse projects here) with a computer that could be used for editing and HDD that are much much much cheaper than P2. -->>>

That would be great if we could get them, but none of the systems being built here are going to be sold for $5K, whether we want it to or not. They've said the Drake isn't. Obin's system costs about $5K in parts alone, so if you buy it from him, you're going to pay more than that, and he does need to make back all the development money he's been pouring into it.

Sure you can take his blueprints and build your own from $5K worth of parts, but then you still need software to make it run.

I think, right now, the $5K HD camera is a pipe dream unless there's someone out there willing to loose money in order to provide it.

That said, I'd buy Obin's camera for the price of the new Panasonic and feel pretty good about it.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2005, 04:09 PM   #66
Major Player

Please, I want anybody here to search and post the price for a Beta SP camcorder.
Then if you can, post the price of a decent Video lens for it.
Just after that, let's start talking about pricing and if someone will buy or not an HD camera at 10,20 K.
Right?
Juan M. M. Fiebelkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:24 AM   #67
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Joshua Starnes :I think, right now, the $5K HD camera is a pipe dream unless there's someone out there willing to loose money in order to provide it.

That said, I'd buy Obin's camera for the price of the new Panasonic and feel pretty good about it. -->>>

The cheapest price is going to be around $2K (incase you haven't read the threads). I would rather a convenional camera that spat out recordable 12bit 4:4:4 uncompressed images myself for the same price, but I'm not holding my breath.

Cameras are available from around $1K, though not the best ones, in future cheaper and better. Add system cost ontop of that ($500) software of $100, and batteries. The fact is that these systems are not terribly good in optical quality (except compared to say a HD10) so we don't bother about them, and prices will drop and other better systems will come out at this price. AAt the moment we are stuck between a rock and a hard place in terms of pricing to performance ratio, but still much better than many commercial cameras for filming.

I think my adaptor should be able to solve the blowout problem with the micron (want to use variable ND filer at least). But this blown out problem is tacky and unacceptable, something to be espected ona mobile phone cmos sensor, not on a $1K+ category camera, especiually considering hat they now do designs that eliminate it. But even after you pass all those there still is the rolling shutter problem, and I don't think anybody has found a full solution on the 1.3mp camera. But the reality is one new sensor will solve all thoise problems. My guess is there will be at least one this year.

Now out of curiosity, I notice 10 bit and MP sensors for mobile and cameras, and I wonder if any of these will outdo a 1.3MP Micron or Ibis chip? I have seen products for less $100 using chips with highspeed bus and better than normal Mobile phone and cheap digital performance. Once you have raw you are half way there. I am no talking about altasens beaters here, something more inbetween HD10 and FX1 quality, with raw and unclipped range still a bargain that fits in a sub $100 doller product. Now you see the whole system moves to $1K and beats a FX1.

The rolling shutter Death Sentence, this is also rediculouse, because the truth is it's where you can move the rolling shutter periode that matters. If it canbe moved into the inter frame period and accelerated (requiring a fast buffer to take he image) that it may become a non issue (stuff discussed many months ago). I don't know how successfull the experiments were, but people got enchanted by the Altasens that was due in a couple of months {:( and forgot about it. Now if we used a 48th second shutter on a 24fps (I think it is called a 180 degree shuter) image, can we move the whole rolling shuter effect into the non integrated periode? Is a mechanical shutter for 1/48th of a second a better way to achieve this?

So how successfull was removing rolling shuter effect expriments for he Micron and FF cameras, and how good is it going to be for the Altasens?
Old February 16th, 2005, 02:19 AM   #68
Regular Crew

Every one will buy a HD camera, if it came under 10 k ?
Its remember me to the still digi cam run: "Your camera have only 2,3M pixel? Ohhh, my new camera have 4M pixel! And so on..."

There is a big market for those products. And a big profit, also if you see the following costs for P2... Lets people buy this. Why not.
We will go a different way.

But also Waynes dream is possible: A HD uncompressed system under 5K:
There a tons of senors for capturing in HD quality. But here in dvinfos alternative imaging methods, in the past we look for CMOS sensors, because CMOS produced mutch more "film look" like CCDs. But what sensor use the new panasonic? If you also look for CCDs, you will found mutch more with frame rates up 24fps and global shutter. Next step is found a camera head, or you build your own. This is the next point:
For example: A single IBIS5a Sensor cost round $ 180,-, ($ 100,- if you buy nn) Same thing on micron. 1.3M Pixel CCDs start at $45,-. High speed CMOS (500fps) cost round $1000,-. Altasens min $500,-. Camera heads manufactors calculate round 10 times of sensor cost for the rest. (IBIS camera heads $850-1800, High speed $5000 - 13000,-, Altasens ???? ask Steve N.) But what will you need, if you build your one camera(head)? A camera head to support ALL SENSORS? Not mutch. 60MHz clock is not realy high. But the biggest problem ist the PC Interface. Yes, Interface is the biggest part in a standart camera head. It must buffer pictures, convert to a 8Bit stream and the interface itself.
But why not without PC? Why not write direct to HDD?
There are MCs under $ 100,- with build in LINUX System, on Chip HDD controller for more than 4HDDs, I/O Ports, free programming and direct connectet to ALL Sensors (only change the Ports and sensor programming part). If you write direkt to HDD, you need no buffer, because hdds have build in buffers. All other things, like FPN correction etc. you can do in post.
With those system, you are ready for ALL sensors. You can build a ARRI D20 like camera or a cheap NTSC Video camera. All things are possible. And exact this is the way we will go.
Old February 16th, 2005, 03:41 AM   #69
Major Player

Hurray!!!
at last :)
Juan M. M. Fiebelkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 07:09 AM   #70
Inner Circle

Thanks Rai

$45, maybe we should do this for a toy camera? So where are Micron 1300 cameras for $450?

The MC with all these features, can you give links, or names?

How much data rate would you need at the camera head:

3 chip 1080p, pixel shifted to 2160p, or 3240p 150mb/s+
Cheap Imax quality.

So 200MB/s at the camera head should do it (no high speed capture). For slow motion effect you will need 300MB/s, which future IDE drives should be able to do on a four drive system. But if you wanted top flight Imax technology on the cheap you would be looking at:

3 chip 2160p+, pixel shifted to 4320p, or 6480p 600mb/s+

I have one guy yesterday quoting me $5K for a 120fps FF camera.
Old February 16th, 2005, 07:41 AM   #71
Regular Crew

Fillfactory / Cypress news from today:

>>>--February 16, 2005- Cypress Semiconductor Corp. (NYSE: CY) today announced that it has signed and closed a definitive agreement to acquire SMaL Camera Technologies, a designer of industry leading digital imaging solutions for a variety of business and consumer applications, such as ultra-slim digital still cameras, automotive vision systems, and cell phone cameras. Together with FillFactory, Cypress will now offer a complete portfolio of products with high margins, on the one hand, and the potential for extremely high volume, on the other--<<<

Background: Fillfactory create IBIS5 and other CMOS sensors. Last year Cypress has acquisition of FillFactory. Cypress build also some chips for digital video, so i think, they will push some things. Will see...
Old February 16th, 2005, 08:21 AM   #72
Inner Circle

Yes, now we can see Microns butt kicked all around the stage ;) Hopefully they will acquire Foveon next.

This is the company with the sensors I have mentioned. Thin credit card sized cameras based on their 1.3Mp 27MB/s sensor platform sell for around $69 with USB, with comrpession engine (probably useless anyway), and autobright (advanced per pixel dual slope alternative). Thieir is also 2 and 3 Mp (70MB/s). I have been meaning to get around to investigating the sensors in detail (to measure quality and reduce rolling shutter effect etc). I was planing on looking at one of the cameras based on the platform tommorrow. These are bottom of the line sensors for botom of the line camera projects though.

Thanks Rai

Wayne.
Old February 16th, 2005, 08:32 AM   #73
Regular Crew

@Wayne,
Last year, Microns MT9M413 CMOS sensor cost round $950,- (single)
It do max. 500fps but at 10 10 bit ports. So you have 100 digital out pins and you need 576 MB/Sec to record 1280x720 10bit 500fps.
Fillfactory LUPA1300 CMOS sensor cost the same. It do max. 450fps.
But high speed is not what i am looking for. So lets go back to the 24fps solution: Lets do a look to a big cinema company. The ARRI D20 (my personaly favorite) use only one CMOS senser, but with 2880x2620pixel. At 24fp 12bit, we need 224MB/sec. 4 high speed HDDs and you got it. But lets go down one step. 1920x1080, 12Bit, 24fps need only 75MB/sec. Thats easy, if you do not must press it down through a PC PCI bus (look at obins thread). You mentioned pixel shift. I see not a reason why you must do it before record. You blow only up your datas. You can do this, or other interpolations in post.
Old February 16th, 2005, 09:50 AM   #74
Inner Circle

I'm not saying use all the pins/data-paths off the sensor or make a capture unit capable of 500fps. 300MB/s is only 50fps, just enough to slow the footage (for glances kisses etc). So nothing elaborate, though 120fps better. This is the sort of simple thing cinematographers will be interested in.

I am merely pointing to a realistic cheap top end for where sensors will go (notice it is still cheap future 1080p 3 chip) for your interchangeable sensor head, that your customers will be interested in at that time. Whatever ARRI does now doesn't mean they won't do something completely different in future and force people to buy a new camera to get it. When the technology gets sorted out, Arri will probably go to 32MP UHD, or three chip, in flash, if they thought they could market it. The truth is also that digital theatre will eventually lead to 50-100fps frame rates at resolutions upto 32MP UHD, as well. Your's is a commercial product, not like our hobby projects.

Pixel shift is pretty useless after record, as the accuracy (over post interpolation) is obtained by the misalignment of the original image creating real detail boundaries that can be extrapolated.

Thanks

Wayne.

For everybody, here is the full FF article in pdf:
http://www.fillfactory.com/htm/news/...ss_Release.pdf
Old February 16th, 2005, 10:46 AM   #75
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Wayne Morellini : <<<-- The cheapest price is going to be around $2K (incase you haven't read the threads). I would rather a convenional camera that spat out recordable 12bit 4:4:4 uncompressed images myself for the same price, but I'm not holding my breath. -->>>

I've read the threads, which is why I know Obin's isn't going to be $2K. Now, you could be talking about buying the actual camera from the manufacturer, like SI, but then I still have to come up with a capture and conversion solution, or license someone elses. And that's not talking about lenses or anything yet. Either way, I'm not coming in under $2K. Probably, I think, not under $5K.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods