hi need help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old November 26th, 2004, 01:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

hi need help

hi i was helping my friends' family take a picture and they handed me this pretty old slr. it was about noon. and when i put my eye to the viewfinder.... BAM....... i was shocked and THAT is what i want for my xl1s.

so...... can i get a canon EF adapter and THAT lens and get that look that i got from inside the viewfinder?

if yes....... i still have one more problem...... i dont know what lens that was.

i plan on using the papas system, get the adapter, that lens, and then add a wide angle so the 7.2 magnification is not so killer.

i need help selecting a lens. i want to spend under 150 for a lens. a nice short lens with KILLER shallow DOF that can go on the EF adapter.

help anyone?

thanks a grip
-arthur4
Arthur To is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2004, 01:42 AM   #2
Regular Crew

by the way

by the way, i want that INSANE amount of clarity .... like..... i can see mustache i can see skin texture .... the texture material of the clothing. whtas a good glass for it.

btw if anything (prob evertying) goes above my budget price, can you please list it for me ANYWAYS so i have something to save up for.

im leaning towards the EOS lenses cuz of the glass quality- i know the xl1s is potentially killer (good) at picking up crazy details (high resolution) the the 16x standard lens limits it.

help pls
thx !
-arthur
Arthur To is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2004, 12:36 PM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

You can't get what you're asking for.

You were looking through an optical viewfinder. It's going to be tremendously clearer than any LCD monitor. You could get the same effect by looking through the optical viewfinder of a Super 8 movie camera -- it's just nothing like looking through the vf of a video camera.

Has nothing to do with the lenses on the camera, etc., it's that you were looking at the true optical image rather than a low-res LCD representation of a video camera image.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2004, 01:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

but

but i saw things that were shot with an EF adapter and an EOS lens and WOW........ the pores on their skin! you know what i mean?

ok well what glass/lens can give me very shalllow DOF and crazy resolution for my XL?

list ":mm" and "f/" and the specs.

thx
-arthur
Old November 26th, 2004, 02:13 PM   #5
Major Player

No, you're missing the point. There is no magical lens that does this.

The only way to get shallow DOF is to use a mini35 adaptor(or homemade version) and use a f1.4 or so lens.

There is no way to get extra resolution. You are confined to the DV format which only has 720x480px.
Old November 26th, 2004, 10:01 PM   #6
Regular Crew

thats all the reso. i need.

however the xl standard lens does not deliver the XL1s chip's potential. the potential is pushed when you use a mini35. in shots that use min35..... on the XL thats what im talking about, the filling of the potential resolution.

ok then lets skip that step

well if f/1.4 is shallow DOF, how come the XL1s isn't shallow DOF when i set the lens to f/1.6? - thx-

-arthur
Old November 26th, 2004, 10:40 PM   #7
Major Player

What's wrong with the standard lens? What do you mean by "the potential is pushed"? I don't know what you're talking about.
Old November 27th, 2004, 12:02 AM   #8
Regular Crew

when

when i see an XL- with a mini35..... the amount of DETAIL that is shown is so much greater than what the 16x lens delivers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods