New moving ground glass mechanism - Page 21 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 1st, 2005, 12:12 AM   #301
Regular Crew

Young Blades

This is somewhat off topic, but I was flipping through the channels on the Tv the other night and happened across the Young Blades show that your clips were from. I wasn't fimiliar with the show before then.

By the way I haven't posted on your thread before, but just to let you know your footage is really impressive and it seems like the unit is really well put together.

On a side note I was looking through some of the old clips and whatnot and then the later ones from Young Blades. You mentioned that the slight noise heard in some of the later clips was from the adapter itself correct? I was just curious if there was a change in the design to cause the noise because in the one clip before you had the adapter right on the mic's windscreen and it was silent? Just curious. Either way as you said in an actual shooting situation you'd more than likely be booming the mic anyway so that wouldn't even be a factor.
Keith Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 12:51 AM   #302
Major Player

Thanks for checking it out. Looks like this clip is still on line:
(in case you missed it)
http://rapidshare.de/files/903215/web_demo.avi.html
(same show) Glad you like it. About converter:
It is as quiet as I could make it, but:
1. I have no lens between GG and camcorder's lens (since I do not need any) so it is an "open area"
2. The mic on GS200 is right there at the 'source" and picks up first THAT noise and whatever else available;
3. Since THAT noise is the nearest and the sound circuit has an attenuator, all other sounds are dimmed.
4. The sound is 'amplified" by the small tube I use to isolate the outer light.
I will shoot this weekend (a friend's wedding) using the external mic.
If OK, I'll post some clips.
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 08:29 AM   #303
Major Player

I'd love to see some clips, Dan!
Old April 5th, 2005, 10:11 PM   #304
Major Player

I had to extract the two mics from GS200 and build an external support and plug. Now it is mounted just above the lens (picking up the focus roll;-)< but for the purpose is OK) Another XLR extension will follow to allow for boom mic. The surgery took some 14h; both patient and surgeon survived the intervention. If anyone will need to do the same, be extra careful when de soldering the mics. They are very sensitive to heat and soldered on a very small soft circuit layer(I ruined one before from a small CMOS). But at least, the whole contraption has the looks of all similar cameras with this feature and the small noise from movement is "gone with the wind".

I have shoot today over 40' of footage using all Nikkors from 25 to 200. I can only export AVI files of max 30 M (on that German site) Uncompressed footage means about 7 seconds each. What would you like to see? City day? City night? Portrait? Landscape? I do not know how many clips I can upload per day. Other suggestions?.... (I am taking orders here.....) More footage on the way, but please, be gentle; is raining here.... (I can enjoy a break from lathe work and other screwy details...)
Old April 6th, 2005, 05:08 AM   #305
Major Player

Dan, you could at least make it MPEG2 at 8000kbps. Withno audio you will have about 30seconds on 30MB. Or you could do it DivX at a high bit rate..
mini35 & movietube DVDs are also compressed (mpeg2, probably at no more than 8000kbps) and no one seems to complain about it...
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:58 AM   #306
Major Player

Thank you Cosmin,
I'll attempt the DivX conversion from AVI and see what time frame 30M allows.I do not know yet if rapidshare.de accepts DivX files but I,ll try
Old April 6th, 2005, 09:07 AM   #307
Major Player

It is still an avi file...
I recomand you DrDivX for coding DivX avis. Is as easy as choosing a "high quality" profile and hit "encode". Well... almost! I could help you encode the files, if you want.
Old April 6th, 2005, 10:12 AM   #308
Major Player

Thanks again, I have got some more footage meanwhile. I will start sorting out the "mess" this afternoon and (hopefully) post some of it (since you are the only one that expressed interest, I'll email you the link)

Old April 6th, 2005, 01:12 PM   #309
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Dan Diaconu : Thanks again, I have got some more footage meanwhile. I will start sorting out the "mess" this afternoon and (hopefully) post some of it (since you are the only one that expressed interest, I'll email you the link) -->>>

Hey Dan,

I was talking with a director who does music videos and he uses a "rack and tilt" lens to get a similar focus effect to what you're talking about. I hope I didn't get the name wrong, I'm going from memory. He shoots all Arri 35mm and many of his effects are in camera including that one.

It is a very cool look for getting parts of the screen in focus despite being at different distances from the camera. Definitely opened my eyes to new possibilities. Anyway - that's another validation of the idea.

I'm pretty sure people can see the effect on Good Charlotte's "Predictable" video.
Joel Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 01:27 PM   #310
Major Player

Thank you Joel.
>>It is a very cool look for getting parts of the screen in focus despite being at different distances from the camera<<
What I was after is : getting sharp ONLY A SECTION of something that IS AT THE SAME DISTANCE FROM THE LENS and be able to "roll that focus" (all subject being at the same distance) from L to R of the frame (while dollying meanwhile or not) I may have made the first example too complicated to visualize, but it would be cool.....(der goes another 6 months)
Old April 8th, 2005, 10:11 AM   #311
Major Player

Some of the few people that saw the last demo clip suggested I should let all the readers know as well. It is not a music video, OK? Is just converter demo shoots with some BG music. Good or bad, here it is:
http://rapidshare.de/files/1177822/last_for_web.wmv.html
Focus in one of the last shoots is rough. The tripod was on grass (soft soil) and extended all the way. I did not use the FF, besides going from one end to the other on 200mm. No excuses, just facts (but it is rough though). Pass or fail, Obin?
I also got yesterday the CU lens I needed to complete testing on PD, DVX and Z1. (no water guns today... Sarena!)*smile*
Old April 8th, 2005, 10:37 AM   #312
Major Player

looking great! And a great tune that is!
Old April 8th, 2005, 10:41 AM   #313
Major Player

thank you, (my son's improvisations...)
Old April 8th, 2005, 07:45 PM   #314
Regular Crew

that was nice Dan. i actually like winter shots shot in that candid way.

except when you use the focus the camera shook. very noticable.
Frank Vrionis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 08:52 PM   #315
Major Player

Thank you Frank,
Sorry guys, I meant to say this link:

http://dl2.rapidshare.de/files/1182068/166/last_for_web.avi

There are some strange artifacts still (although AVI file)
I am still learning about compression and file export.... It did not play sound here... (although is there) ....
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods