New moving ground glass mechanism - Page 33 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old September 29th, 2005, 09:30 PM   #481
Trustee

It says it needs no macro?
How does it mount on a camera like the XL2 or HD100? Directly to the lens mount or over the stock lens?
Is there any cine lens mount options?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 11:27 PM   #482
Major Player

Nope. It does not need any macro for Z1, XL2, DVX100A. It mounts straight on the lens. (I'll get rid of the 20X on the XL2 as soon as I get the chance to take a break) Did some tests with good results:
http://dandiaconu.com/gallery/work-in-progress/IMGA0776
but didn't have the time to finish it.

As for cine lenses, I will make a test using Zeiss (on an 18/24mm frame size because is not intended to cover more than that) side by side with a Nikkor (on 24/36mm frame) You will see why IMO there is no NEED and I see no justification in using cine lenses. I know there are other people with different opinions (and I respect them) but till I can post the pics, I will follow my "guts".

Price will go up. How much? Surprise! (;-)<

<<<<It looks amazing, especially in terms of size and efficiency>>>>

Name one "other unit or device" I could have used to take all the pics on my site to promote this device.

<<<<but I would want to see independent tests and reviews>>>

You have a week to make your own impression and return it if not happy. Why "buy into potentially paid advertising??????????" when I offer you the chance to SEE IT FIRST HAND? But then again, take your time, people WILL talk and you WILL hear reviews. "That kind of cash" falls ....short (IMO). But there are alternatives.
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 07:17 AM   #483
Trustee

Dan, what is your return on that follow focus if I buy one and don't like it?
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 09:27 AM   #484
Major Player

I am not sure I... follow, but just to be on the safe side, you may want to wait for reviews or.. buy something you think you WILL like. You were "hard to please" Obin for some products (like MPIC) and very "easy going" with others (ecstatic for Micro35 and Letus).
I do not mind your taste at all. By all means, whatever you like is the best in the world.
This time will be no exception as I can read from your post, and so.. you are better off buying BRAND (you know, tested-trusted) like this:
ARRI FF-2,
FF-3 &
FF-4
CHROSZIEL
WILLYTECH
ARRI lightweight
MOVIECAM follow focus
PRESTON remote focus
PRESTON FI+Z remote focus
or waiting for peoples reviews. (you do not seem to like it to begin with, so why bother at all?)
Old September 30th, 2005, 10:02 AM   #485
Trustee

Dan show me some HD footage with your unit and i will give you honest deedback, till this point I have never seen anything but interlaced consumer video from your unit, the letus and micro35 sent me demo units, they are both great.

All I want to know is if I don't like your FF unit, what will you do for me?
I am a customer for the first FF that works and works well
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 07:14 PM   #486
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obin Olson
I am a customer for the first FF that works and works well
Well... there are quite a few options listed two posts up (forgot to mention Cavision) and they all work. They mount on rods and they turn lenses. Now.. if it happens you "don't like" any of those... my unit definitely will not please you. I have offered one week "rental free"; buy it and if you are not happy, return it.

My offer is valid for any customer (including you Obin) and for any of the products I have and I will add to that list. Doesn't work for you? Send it back. What else do you want/expect?

As for the image converter, I offered to shoot and send you an original HDV tape shot with a Z1 and let you watch the footage as you please, deinterlace it, make an HD-DVD (if you can and know to do that). I have no time to catch up with editing in HD or even SD (regardless how much I would like to) and I use what I remember (editing wise) only to demo one feature or another of the devices I make.

For now, I have three top cinematographers (same age as me and older) impressed by the clips and pics I posted on my site and VERY WILLING to offer FB/purchase (outside Vancouver). Their screen credit means a lot to me and their FB is priceless.

Here it is much easier; I walk in a rental house, mount it on the rods (while they prep the camera) and let them play.
Easier, more fun and more rewarding than typing the above.

BTW; Brian Valente did not ask nearly as much as you do, to be one of the first to place an order... (while his company is developing a unit as well, I think)

I see this as nothing but a waste of my time. I will refrain from it, regardless your replay sir. Nothing to gain.

Last edited by Dan Diaconu; October 1st, 2005 at 10:29 AM.
Old October 14th, 2005, 02:08 PM   #487
Major Player

Website make-up?

Just in case you stop on by and can't find your ways on the new grounds... don’t worry I am just as lost as you are... (work in progress) I will clean the dust and add more footage soon(HD) (I did not even get the chance to import since I had to fill the orders on the FF and Gears, but...I am working on it).
Old October 15th, 2005, 01:28 AM   #488
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diaconu
I am not sure I... follow,
BTW, I am sure I'm in the silent majority that got this one. :)
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 09:38 AM   #489
Regular Crew

Dan,
How much would be the cost to get a copy of your HDV demo tape.
Maheel Perera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 12:29 PM   #490
Major Player

"I don't care2!
much 4 money,
money can't buy me love!
Can't buy me looooove" (I just can't help it!)

I do not know if I can make a copy,(I would imagine I would need a deck and the camera or two decks ) but is just much easier to shoot something (rez chart and such) and send the tape (then again, the settings on the camera! I usually underexpose a lot- I do not like to see “washed-out details in the highlights.. and is not always possible to bring all the scene in the camcorder’s dynamic range; that will influence the perception of the image....) I do not know to burn HD-DVD's and my time now is consumed by FF and gear. Let me get these ones rolling and I'll get to it. I could (alternatively) burn a DVD with SD footage from which I have posted on my site (include some hi rez stills? 1760X1320)?? That I could do spending less time NOW.
Old October 15th, 2005, 07:26 PM   #491
Regular Crew

Burn a DVD with the original .m2t files. No need to know anything about editing. Just the RAW files, so that people who can handle. m2t can do the rest themselves.
Old October 15th, 2005, 08:35 PM   #492
Major Player

Maheel,
Give me a week or so and I will mail you a DVD (SD footage) and an HDV tape.
I have searched for .m2t files and have got a lot of links from Google but is too much trouble for me right now. I'll shoot something on a tape and mail it to you. Email me your address.
Old October 16th, 2005, 07:40 AM   #493
Regular Crew

Thanks Dan,

I will email you my address. Send me some nice footage on the HDV tape in addition to those res charts (there is always oblidging Felix, but some humans also). I will do a film transfer and send you a copy.
Old October 20th, 2005, 11:26 AM   #494
Major Player

Dan,
I'm not sure I've seen an answer to the question of whether this will work on the current HD100 with stock lens. Any idea?

Thanks.
Warren Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 06:34 PM   #495
Major Player

Warren, most likely yes and looking just as ... well... just like the XL2 with it on top.
Not happy but no time for them yet. FF and gears are chewing a lot of my time.
I will get to it with a prime lens (or “relay” as some call it) I am sorry but I am in a hurry here…
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods