Just bought an old canon 310xl 8mm - do you think this lens will work? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 8th, 2005, 05:48 PM   #1
Major Player

Just bought an old canon 310xl 8mm - do you think this lens will work?

In my search to make a mini35/aldus/agus 35, I have been scrounging around charity shops and found this little camera here are the specs :

8.5 mm to 25.5 mm f/1.0 43 mm.

It has a threaded front, so I wonder if I take it apart (break the camera in pieces to get to the lens) to use the lens , can I add on to it?

Also, it has a nice Macro 1:1.0 macro level on it.

As I said, I am not really versed on these thing and this camera might be a complete waste of $10.00, but I am trying here and there when I can.

Any info would be appreciate!
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2005, 09:57 PM   #2
Inner Circle

If you like to explore and investigate things and cost cut by trial and error improvising then by all means go ahead.

There is a lot of time and energy and money to be wasted in backing out of dead-ends however.

If you are after an end-result, you might best be served by saving up to buy in some proven parts and following an established method.

Agus-like devices may only have a life of about two years if that before they are superseded by large format chip cams at affordable prices.

After then, there will be a lot of clunks and clatters as strange looking objects hit the face of landfills and roll to the bottom.

By 8mm I assume it may be either an old movie camera or an 8mm tape format video camcorder.

Either way, the lens is unikely to be much use for a front lens for an Agus - (the 35mm still-camera lens. there may be some pieces in thelens which might contribute to making up a relay lens to go between the camcorder you intend to use and the groundglass.

(If the camera is an old Super8mm film cam it is rather a pity to be wrecking it. I would be restoring it myself. A few years ago I found an old Super8 projector on a landfill along with some film.

I hauled it home and took it apart, cleaned out the lawnclippings and the water from the lens, fired it up and was quite surprised just how sharp Super8 motion film had become in its latter years.)
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods