reel-stream at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 11th, 2005, 05:03 PM   #1
New Boot

reel-stream

Has anyone gotten in touch with Jaun over at reel-stream.com? and What kind of results are the Aurora producing.
Old January 11th, 2005, 05:33 PM   #2
Major Player

Yes, it seems to be out for some time now. Also, I wasn't able to respond to the Juan's "uncompressed dvx100 4:4:4" from this forum anymore... Does any wrangler know what's going on?

Steven
Steven Fokkinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2005, 04:13 AM   #3
New Boot

The question that I have about the Aurora is the price of course. This will be "the condition" that could possibly make or break the item. Will it be priced in a range that'll entice most middle end buyers( those who may, more or less, have a grand to play around with ) or will it be only for the high end users that have several grand to throw around. This question needs to be addressed I believe. On the subject of things being addressed, what kind of results are we expecting from this device. The website gives some, although be it vague, details on the capabilities of this machine, but its not enough. And yes I realize that Juan and Jeremy are busy getting their product ready for NAB and for production, but they must realize that some of their potential clients are also waiting patiently for more info. We're in the dark here guys.

Now with that said, I believe the work that these gentlmen are doing is phenomenol. Its guys like these that'll make video the medium of choice to shoot movies, shorts, music vids, etc. Its these guys that'll help video eventually conquer film.
Old January 14th, 2005, 04:34 PM   #4
New Boot

Good news

The forums over at reel-stream.com are up again. For those who dont know, this company claims that they can capture the information off the dvx-100a (maybe other cams later on) before it becomes compressed. they are claiming they are getting 12 bit color and a 720p resolution out of the camcorder. A price for the device hasnt been disclosed yet
Old January 14th, 2005, 07:30 PM   #5
Major Player

Well, in fact all they claim is in fact true.
We all followed Juan Pertierra's development in this forum and we perfectly know what he claims is true
Juan M. M. Fiebelkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2005, 07:45 PM   #6
Major Player

I hope the method of modding...or rather the method of camera companies in creating their ccd's is simular enough to lend the process to ease of adapation to other cameras. I really wonder if they can get some decent uncompressed off of cheaper consumer cams (things I'd be less afraid to void the warrenty on). I'd really be interested in seeing what you can get off the optura's ccd. I've already seen people use direct to disk capture while in photo mode to grab progressive footage off of optura ccds...so the ccd can definatly shoot progressive....I'd be interested in knowing if the uncompressed mod could get something good out of it...particularly in the realm of the 12 bit color.
Matt Champagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2005, 10:31 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Are y'all really having trouble with the original thread here?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2005, 03:22 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Well the problem is they need pixel shift to get hi-resolution, and even cameras that have it do it differently depending on camera.

The new GS65 has 420K pixels across 3 ccd's (that's 140K pixels per CCD) claiming 1.2-1.3Mpixel for stills. I am not sure what mechanism it uses to get it's max resolution, but if you have all CCD's shiften diagonly from each other would give 140K*9=1.2-1.3Mp. Sure would be a great little doco camera with the reel-stream and Aldur adaptor. I would like to know how big those pixels are, they should be as big as a DVX100's pixel, so simular latitude, and maybe sensitivity.

I am interested if any of he camera companies do a raw 3 chip 1080 camera head with all chips shifted (18M pixel) great for any cinema.

Wayne.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2005, 05:08 PM   #9
Major Player

that wood be poor mans dream set , by the way anyonone doing this, ill jump on
Régine Weinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2005, 10:01 AM   #10
Major Player

move this to juan's thread - please!

i think this must be connected with the "old" - juan's thread. there is no sense of making new sub-threads about the same thing.

any wrangler around? please - move this to juan's thread. will be much easier to follow!!!!

thank you,

filip
Filip Kovcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2005, 11:37 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Actually Flip, I was thinking about breaking that original thread into a bunch of smaller ones to make them easier to digest. But if you guys don't think that's a good idea, then I won't do it.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2005, 12:51 PM   #12
Major Player

Chris,

i wrote of course just my opinion. i'm not guru here, but i noticed that if i'm looking for something and it's separated in two or more similar threads - i'm confused - i can't remember where it was when i saw it.
of course we can use search engine, but i personally think, that if something is very close to certain thread- live/push it there...

but, if majority wants different way - no problem with me. just think that this way is more "compact" (regardless of tons of pages - but it's in ONE place, and you know it where to go).

just a thought

filip

p.s. and this is my last OT issue in this thread!
Filip Kovcin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods