Micro35 (original thread) - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 31st, 2005, 03:43 PM   #151
Micro35

Clarification. The image is not backwards. And depending on what kind of camera you have, it may not be upside down either.

Obin, Craig has some valid points, but sugges budgeting for the mini35 rental. Then if you end up getting the micro35 on time, you'll end up saving a bunch of money.
James Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2005, 04:15 PM   #152
Major Player

WOW

I didn’t realize you may have a work around to the image situation… GREAT..
Old February 1st, 2005, 10:41 AM   #153
Regular Crew

James,

Please forgive me for repeating. How about the FX1?.
Maheel Perera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 10:52 AM   #154
Micro35

Maheel,
It should work fine. I'm going to try and get my hands on one to test with for grins...
James Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 11:19 AM   #155
Regular Crew

The Image Fix is simply the magnet on the DVX LCD monitor, right? I'm assuming you haven't implemented an in-image-path rotation... Please correct me if I'm wrong-

Congrats on your adapter, James.
Jonathon Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 11:36 AM   #156
Major Player

static GG?

I'm a bit confused...

is it a static GG?
Old February 1st, 2005, 11:42 AM   #157
Major Player

rotating CD
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 11:48 AM   #158
Major Player

Thanks Aaron!
Old February 1st, 2005, 12:12 PM   #159
Regular Crew

Hi James,

The samples you have provided show some slight hotspot even though you are using relatively long focal length/telephoto lenses. Do you have any samples with wide or normal lenses? The hotspot will no doubt be greatly amplified with shorter focal length lenses.

Thanks,
Joel
Joel Corkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 02:39 PM   #160
New Boot

I am debating on waiting to film my movie until the Micro35 project is completed and follow the steps to achieve such a high quality of picture, OR filming my upcoming film with a Vertical Mount or Agus35.

Not to divert the subject or anything, but what is it that gives Micro35 the edge over:

- Vertical Mount (used in Marla)
- Agus35
- Aldu35

I was leaning towards Vertical Mount, because I am going to most likely use different cameras and you do not need an adapter for it and it is the cheapest solution (no more than $40-$100).

Regards,
Josh
Josh Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 02:45 PM   #161
Major Player

The micro35 is in essence an Agus35 device.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 03:30 PM   #162
Trustee

Aaron, from James' earlier comments, I don't think he's using a rotating CD, and the design isn't quite an Agus35. James, can you correct us?
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 04:42 PM   #163
Major Player

The vertical mount solution is terrible -- ergonomics look to be a pain, and beyond this, if you know the back story to Marla, you know the filmmaker hand corrected -- frame by frame -- a lot of the movie in Photoshop. Doesn't seem practical, really.

- jim
Jim Lafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 05:42 PM   #164
Trustee

Re: OBIN

<<<-- Originally posted by Craig Bellaire : Dude I hate to say this but I would never experiment on a project that has any importance to me.. Sorry but you might want to consider figuring out another way to save the project by shooting at telephoto and wide open with the aperture or just shooting normal and adding a few effects in post.. I would also never try to do or sell a service to someone without knowing what my equipment can do.. As for this adaptor I serious doubt you will have the time to get the unit, learn how to shoot a new style with the image backwards and upside down and also learn new lighting techniques by the time James has a complete unit for you… sorry for the bad news. But it seems to be the truth about production. -->>>

Craig..chill bro..I have and use an adaptor on everything I shoot nowdays..the problem is it's a homemade very crappy design and it sucks..if this unit that James is working is even 2% better then mine I will be happy.... I have no need to "Learn how to shoot a new style" as I have been doing this for months..and BTW the footage you get from a "mini35" or homemade GG adaptor is AMAZING!! MOST people I deal with on a professional level can't tell it's video when we use good lighting dolly and 24p..it really is amazing!

"Budgeting for the mini35"
I would LOVE to do this but with a budget of $4,000 for a REALLY nice "National" level spot with actors I can't afford that option...sometimes I think I am CRAZY...
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 05:57 PM   #165
Major Player

stir the pot

I didn't mean to stir the pot to much but many people with little production experience expect to grab a DOF Machine/Micro35 adaptor and start shooting tomorrow... The fact that James device is not quite out yet, but IS coming out and the price seems to get people very anxious, to do just this…Run and Gun… Seems like you have been doing for a bit and I just would hate for anything to go wrong on a shoot for anyone… WHY because I’ve have had it happen to me with different / new equipment and I just didn’t know how to use it before the shoot... and yes either I messed up the shoot or I looked very silly as a professional selling a product while I searched through the menu on a camera while 10 people are looking at me....

As for the image... maybe I didn’t state it correctly…

I believe Left to Right will be opposite and top and bottom will be opposite as well... But as James stated there is a possible fix for one or the other…

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods