Micro35 (original thread) - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old February 1st, 2005, 09:38 PM   #166
New Boot

I appreciate all of your input. I did not realize it was an Agus35. I also VERY much appreciate the input from Jim, I was actually leaning more towards the Vertical Mount (this will be my first Mini35), yet you have very valid points.

I also realize that I appear to be "Running and Gunning", when really the reality of the it is I would like it ASAP to actually start to build it and get the hang of filming with it. I have a really flexible filming schedule, yet it would be ideal of I could get the hang of it a while before the shoot so that I do not have the 10 people staring at me :-).

Regards,
Josh
Josh Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 10:50 PM   #167
Major Player

Quote:
when really the reality of the it is I would like it ASAP to actually start to build it and get the hang of filming with it.
My advice to you would be to build a device based around Richard Mellor's "parts list" thread -- it's not the cheapest, but it is the easiest to build, and of a fairly high quality. You could use the glass he suggests, or grind your own with WAO5 and a 49mm UV filter -- which would take some more time, but would have potentially finer grain. When the time comes, if you choose, swap the ground glass out with a micro wax version for an even better image.

All this would mean you could be up and shooting in a couple of weeks, tops -- less than one week if you have the money to have things shipped rapidly.

- jim
Jim Lafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2005, 01:25 AM   #168
Micro35

Site Update!

Well, I've finally come out of the garage from a week of solid progress. I made a huge discovery with the way the adapter mounted on the rails. The height wasn't correct. Now the adapter has been flipped to accommodate the proper rail height. Although, I've got to delay the guide a few more days to update the drawings accordingly.

I've also added a Bogen/Manfortto mount for the rail setup. This should make it nice when dismounting the camera.

I should be finishing up the GG tests tomorrow and should have them posted tomorrow evening.

Here are some pics from the first article of the 'Pre-Assembled' unit.

www.micro35.com/new1.jpg
www.micro35.com/new2.jpg
www.micro35.com/new3.jpg
www.micro35.com/new4.jpg
www.micro35.com/new5.jpg

james
James Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2005, 10:46 AM   #169
Regular Crew

itīs lookin awesome! i canīt wait to put my hands on it! it will be so great improvement for recording anything!

Relax, relax... Im getting anxious!
Old February 6th, 2005, 10:49 AM   #170
Major Player

Dark Pictures

Yes I am also exited, but the pictures are very dark... WHY? Well either you don't want people to see exactly what the device looks like or you think a dark contrast picture looks professional... either way the pictures are way to dark... Sorry
Old February 6th, 2005, 12:34 PM   #171
Major Player

Looks good, James.

The height you corrected for---is that for just the DVX, as in your new photos? I see how your gadget adjusts front-to-back, on rails. Have you allowed for various lens-center heights, too?

Specifically, have you designed to accommodate the XL2?
John Sandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2005, 12:59 PM   #172
New Boot

Okay, now I am more confused. I thought since it is moveable (sliding up and down on the rail) it was compatible for most cameras. I have an Sony XL2000 that I would like to use on this adapter.

Regards,
Josh
Josh Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2005, 01:07 PM   #173
Major Player

I asked about the XL2 design compatibility because Canon changed their lens-center height a tad from the XL1/s, and the P+S Technik Mini35 folks had to release a kit to mate to it.

I can't see more than front-to-back adjustments in James's design, but suspect these adjustments---on 3 axes: left-to-right, front-to-back & up-&-down---are relatively simple to allow for in manufacture.
John Sandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2005, 03:38 PM   #174
Regular Crew

Hi James,

I'd love to see some stills or footage from a normal or wide lens. Could you try to shoot something with such lenses, or do you only have access to that 75-300mm telephoto lens?
Joel Corkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2005, 04:12 PM   #175
Micro35

Joel,
The beginning of the Horse footage (The Statue) used a Sigma 24-70 lens.

THe adapter will work on all the cameras mentioned, it just requires some tweaking on the rail setup. If I can get my hands on another camera (XL2) I'll make sure the rail setup is adjustable for those as well.

Res footage going up tonight...
Old February 6th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #176
Major Player

nice!
Old February 6th, 2005, 05:53 PM   #177
Major Player

Re: Dark Pictures

<<<-- WHY? Well either you don't want people to see exactly what the device looks like or you think a dark contrast picture looks professional... either way the pictures are way to dark... Sorry -->>>

Or he's hiding subliminal messages in the shadows!

Or his monitor is less contrasty or a lot brighter than yours and they look fine to him. New2 and new3 look fine on my screen. I'm on LCD's which are more contrasty than my old CRT.

Overall looks pretty good to me... we'll know a lot more when a handful of people get them built.
Joel Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2005, 06:01 PM   #178
Micro35

http://www.micro35.com/resolution_tests.htm
Old February 6th, 2005, 06:20 PM   #179
New Boot

the ground glass 40 looked good to me!
Old February 6th, 2005, 06:21 PM   #180
Major Player

It is a moving GG, I think I see a switch on the back of it in the newest pictures. My guess it is a vibrating head of some kind like a shearers or something, because it looks too narrow to be a CD.
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods