Micro35 (original thread) - Page 20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old February 22nd, 2005, 03:46 PM   #286
Major Player

Yeah, I've got to talk about Chris about that - I can't find anything on the profile page to fix it. I'll e-mail you off list.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 04:52 PM   #287
Major Player

So am I right in assuming that you are not using regular 35mm SLR lenses anymore James? Sorry, I was getting a bit confused with all the matte boxes and fast glass and lomo talk!
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 04:59 PM   #288
Micro35

Mandy,
I'm still using 35mm SLR lenses. The LOMO setup was specified by the first "Pre-Assembled" unit order.
James Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 06:37 PM   #289
Trustee

James I am still waiting for your call...do you have my number?
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 06:45 PM   #290
Regular Crew

James i just got my first 50 mm 1/8 Nikon and found a family treasure (80-200 2´8 all the way!)...

But i have a question. I will probably buy one of the kits or pre-assembled cos it´s difficult to translate the terms (nobody in spain knows anything about ground glasses for example) And i will ask it for a XM1 (GL1)... But.

It´s a nearly four years old camera and i´m thinking of the future and well discussed HDX... will it be difficult to change the configuration from one camera to the other? or i will be able to ask you for any piece to make it?

Things are getting near and i´m loving it! Mi XM is getting excited...
Old February 22nd, 2005, 07:04 PM   #291
Micro35

Obin, try me again.

Ivan, switching cameras should be fine. I believe the new rail setup will adjust fine.
Old February 25th, 2005, 01:05 AM   #292
Major Player

What follow focus system do you recommend to use in conjunction with this system and say a set of Nikon MF lenses? Also, any thoughts to which lower-cost(under 2gs) steadicam rig?

Also, I didn't seem to find the information on this thread about the loss of light with the adaptor.
Old February 25th, 2005, 09:22 AM   #293
Micro35

Hey Dave,
I've seen a cheaper follow focus unit on ebay, but haven't seen it in a while. I've thought about building one myself.

The magiqcam is awesome.

Thanks!
Old February 25th, 2005, 09:41 AM   #294
Trustee

JAMES I need to place an order...guys on the board..I don't know what mount to get for the first test run at this project...canon nikon? what? please help FAST as I have a project coming in for this setup and I need to make an order for some lenses for this unit ASAP

James what did you use for glass on the pics with the matte box on teh front?
Old February 25th, 2005, 09:44 AM   #295
Trustee

what I feel would be the most important thing would be EASY SMOOTH focus.the WORST part of my homemade GG Adaptor is the focus..every friggen time I focus the image shakes. this is from the crappy mount I have ..how is the micro35? what LENS would give me a solid smooth focus?
Old February 25th, 2005, 09:49 AM   #296
Micro35

Obin,
I was using a Sigma 24-70 lens.

You can achieve a smooth focus with this setup. But you must have a decent lens that isn't loose.

The rails are very tight!

Hope this helps!

James
Old February 25th, 2005, 05:58 PM   #297
Regular Crew

update please

James, could you please take a moment and give us all an informative and concise update on where you are with regard to: shipping the "how to" manuals, general R&D, the status of ordering the kits, taking orders on the pre-builts, etc., etc., etc.

Thanks dude!
James Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2005, 01:06 AM   #298
Major Player

Any thoughts on oscillating glass either?
Old February 26th, 2005, 03:02 PM   #299
Micro35

James,

I'm still waiting on the guides. The packages are ready to ship, I'm just waiting for the guides to arrive from the printers. I've been in contact with them several times. We've had problem after problem. Because of the long delay, I've decided to ship a new GG and sticker with every guide.

I'm finished with R&D. I'm currently setting up the outsource production line. The standard adapter will use a C-Mount. Then depending on what lens system you order for, I'll use a C-Mount to SLR adapter. This should make every system the same and should keep assembly moving at a decent pace.

Once the outsource assembly is up, I'll have parts to sell as "Kit only". I'll also be selling the parts individually for those who are building the adapter.

I've taken several orders on pre-builts to help get the assembly process worked out. This is how we ended up with the new rails.

By the way, the rails we be selling for $250 by themselves.

Dave,
Unless you just like spending money, there's no need for an oscillating glass. The current device looks just as good as any oscillating device I've seen.

Hope this helps guys.

James
Old February 26th, 2005, 03:26 PM   #300
Major Player

James,

Not to get off topic or anything, but I thought the idea behind the oscillating glass was the ability to use higher f-stops. That ability would be great if it could be a part of the system.

-Dave

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods