Slr 35 mm lenses verus mini 35 adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 18th, 2005, 09:27 AM   #1
New Boot

Slr 35 mm lenses verus mini 35 adapter

Hi guys!
I'm sorry if I'm giong to ask a stupid question, but as you can see I'm new to the group.
I can't understand the difference between using a 35 mm SLR and the p +s 35 mm adapter. If I use a .5 coverter on the lens to eliminate the 7.2 magnification (like with the pappas system) effect would i still get a cine-like dept of field?
I read in some post that with the 35 slr lens you get a static ground-glass effect, whereas with the mini 35 the rotating glass would eliminate the glas grain.
I'm sure there must be many differences, otherwise poeple wouldn't spring 10k for the adapter.
Once again, sorry if the question is stupid and thanks for your clarifications.
Brian
Brian Arwari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 04:09 PM   #2
Major Player

The 7x magnification is the only reason you get a shallow depth of field since you are essentially now working with a telephoto lens. This is fine if you're okay with having to move many yards away from your subject and also having to have your subject far away from the background. This isn't practical in most situations. The goal is to be able to "easily" achieve the DOF you are wanting.

With small CCD cameras, your options are slim, complex, and/or expensive.

But the P+S, despite the money is the most genius invention I've seen in a long time.

For endless and painful research:

www.dvcreators.net/media/depthoffield.swf

www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/dof/index.htm

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisp...?s=&forumid=70
Steev Dinkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 05:11 AM   #3
New Boot

CCD size

Steev, thanks a lot for the links!
I originally posted this question bevcause I was reading the Pappas article about rack-focus:
"and a few weeks later at another shoot we had an XL1 with a 15mm EOS lens and a special .42x wide angle lens converter. That made the XL1 EOS lens convert from a 108mm back to a 45mm (which is only 6mm away from the standard 16x)."
Reading this I was under the impression that If you used an adapter to convert a 15mm slr lens back to 45mm that you would get the exact same depth of field as if you were shooting with a 45mm slr.
If I undersood it correctly, the depth of field of video depends on the size of the ccd rather than on the actual focal lenth. The second link explained it very well.
Am I correct in thinking that if the xl2 had a 35mm ccd (like film), then we would automatically get the same depth of field as a flim camera?
Brian Arwari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 11:05 AM   #4
Major Player

Well it depends on the size of the imager and the focal length combined. Larger imagers take longer focal lengths to achieve the same field of view thus they have a greater DOF.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 03:26 PM   #5
Major Player

My understanding is yes, if the XL2 had a 35mm CCD you'd have the same depth of field as a 35mm film camera. Or course you'd need to do similar things to achieve shallow depth of field such as keeping the aperature open, and stopping down with filters if need be, etc. But it would be "possible".

Look at this monster here:

http://www.panavision.com/product_de...e=c0,c202,c203

It deploys a 35mm CCD. It also probably costs $200,000.

So that's why the mini35 and Pro35 are so revolutionary. $15,000 (mini35 and a DVX or XL2 cam) can get you film looks on Standard Def video.

However, I'm thinking moderators would say, the details of how to get a film look other than the P+S probably should be discussed elsewhere.
Steev Dinkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods