Anamorphics - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 5th, 2005, 08:21 AM   #61
Major Player

What do you mean Frank?

I know the Panasonic has 16:9 chips. I'm not trying to target it for an adapter. I'm trying to get my hands on one! I'm still planning on finishing this adapter though. Get myself a very nice 35mm look on HD cinemascope :D. Did I misunderstand you?
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 11:01 AM   #62
Tourist

- Deleted -
Shawn Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 12:01 PM   #63
Major Player

I already successfully made a lens like that on my water and oil prism tread (the one you are referring too, not this tread), and it cost me 0 $. Can you compete with that?
'The real question' isn't really how large the market is for you on this tread, but how large the market is for Aaron Shaw(and perhaps me)
I'm sure Aaron will sell his lens under your price. Me too, but I hadn't had any intentions in selling.
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 12:25 PM   #64
Tourist

Hi Oscar,

Rebuke accepted. I didn't mean to offer a competitive scenario, but understand that it might be taken that way in the context of the thread. Above all I'm really just interested in the overall market itself. I'll delete the post and take it to another area to explore. Good luck to all with the project.

Shawn
Shawn Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 12:32 PM   #65
Major Player

Indeed. Thanks for the words Oscar :)

Though it does beg the question, what if we had Panamorph make these things for us? It would, at least, be a more easily implemented solution. I won't be able to get back to this project until later this year. So I'm not entirely sure what to think. Part of me says continue the project all the way through with the work I've done so far. Part of me also says, if Panamorph can do it easier and cheaper why bother? As stated before I'm not thinking about selling these sort of things to make money so I wouldn't be affected in that sense. The only downside I can see is that Panamorph, thus far (to my knowledge) has only made front attachments while I think the benefit of a rear system implemented so it doesn't extend your focal length would be much better.

Oscar could probably make some money, though. And he has demonstrated that the process works rather well (as it should!) with nothing but widely accessable materials. This deserves a good deal of credit and I see no real reason for manufacturing a lens of this type (unless Oscar wished to sell em cheap to indies).

Shawn, may I send you an email? I'd love to talk with you. :)
Old April 5th, 2005, 12:35 PM   #66
Major Player

Shawn, OK, but the whole 'alternative imaging' area on this board isn't suited for this really, because mostly all people are making these things themselves and sharing the designs they made.

Note that I based all my angles and designs on my own experiments.
Old April 5th, 2005, 12:37 PM   #67
Major Player

Absolutely Oscar! I quite agree with you :). It's NOT the purpose of this board and shouldn't be. If I can talk Panamorph into a good deal offline though I think it could be worthwhile.

I've been very impressed with your project so far. You've put a lot of time and effort into your work and it shows! I look forward to more updates :D
Old April 5th, 2005, 12:53 PM   #68
Major Player

Aaron , note that they have the setup like me (triangled prisms) and sell their product between $895 and $4995, so I can't see getting a good deal out of that.
Old April 5th, 2005, 01:04 PM   #69
Major Player

I hear ya man :). Anyway, just an option to explore. I'll certainly plan on continuing my work if something nothing good comes from the discussion. Anyway, it's a possibility that I would feel dumb if I didn't ask more questions about :).
Old April 5th, 2005, 06:24 PM   #70
Major Player

so.... Aaron where exactly does your project stand now? Are you still in a holding pattern? Maybe you could provide some details on how far you've gotten. I'm interested. Thanks
Brian Valente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 06:45 PM   #71
Major Player

Right now I'm in the "optimizing phase." I have a plan that is run through the computer with various minor adjustments to try to achieve the best balance of size, weight, cost and aberration control. It's a tedious process and takes a while to compute but it should be worth it in the end. The thing is you can only optimize a design so much. If it doesn't provide the quality you need then it's back to the drawing board to create a new design.
Old April 6th, 2005, 03:38 PM   #72
Regular Crew

Aaron, keep up the good work!
Frank Vrionis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 06:41 AM   #73
Major Player

Aaron, just out of curiosity, you are using multiple lenses? Are you going to make them out of glass?
Old April 7th, 2005, 09:00 AM   #74
Major Player

I'm most likely going to have them custom made by an optics company. Haven't decided if I'm going glass or plastic yet. Each has adavantages and disadvantages.
Old April 7th, 2005, 09:03 AM   #75
Major Player

Would this be an anamorphic adapter for any lens? One thing I've noticed with the lomo primes is that they require (or at least sell) a different ana adapter for each prime. I don't know the reasons behind this, but I would guess that each prime has a different set of optical requirements...(?) Don't know if you are thinking along similar lines.
Brian Valente is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods