Flip the camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 28th, 2005, 07:59 PM   #1
Major Player

Flip the camera?

Has anyone ever considered making their adapotor, with support rails on the top, and attaching it to the top of the camera on the accessories shoe. Then having a sled attached up there...and actually flipping the camera upside down to film?

I'm not sure if its really safe...after all the camera hasn't be designed to hold its weight that way, but it would pretty much eliminate all those problems with the upside down image including not even having to worry about it in post. The only problem then is you have upside down controls (which can be solved using a LANC device) and you can't use the viewfinder. If you could stand having to explain why your camera is upside down to everyone all the time...then it might be pretty useful. (Of course you could just be cocky and say "I'm just so good that I got tired of doing it the easy way...I needed a challenge")
Matt Champagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2005, 08:32 PM   #2
Major Player

I think this has been done before. I remember reading a couple posts by someone a long time ago who built his own rail system with the camera mounted upside down.

Anyway, something just occured to me... something that I should have thought of a LONG time ago with regard to flipping - and honestly I'm surprised it has never been used yet by the mini35 guys etc. It sure beats using a prism.

If you had the right focal length lenses you could do this (something I think I'm going to try with my homemade adapter):

http://www.weet.us/idea.JPG

It's so incredibly obvious... I can't believe I didn't think of this before. I'm not sure it would correct the left to right issue (would have to think about that some more) but it would solve the upside down problem.

*feeling like a complete moron*
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2005, 01:04 AM   #3
New Boot

so where would you get a lens like that in the diagram?
Matt Ziegeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2005, 09:08 AM   #4
Major Player

Matt, I'll be sure to answer your question in this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37953&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

I double posted and this is the better thread for this discussion. Sorry, my fault!
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods