New moving GG device HD demo clip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 31st, 2005, 09:54 PM   #1
Major Player

New moving GG device HD demo clip

Well, I've been tinkering some more with the 'oscillating' mini 35 type GG mechanism.
Some of you may remember I posted a slightly shaky HD demo clip of my previous attempt.
I am happy to announce that I have completely solved all image shake caused by the device!

The mechanism is under 3.5 " in diameter.
The radius of the circular movement is just under 1mm on this version.
The GG size is 40 mm by 27 mm usable aperture.
There are no condenser optics used on this clip, so obviously there is a hot spot.
I'll correct that with the next demo I post.
I still plan to offer the mechanism for under $500.

The clip I have right now is a media 9 1280 by 720 pixel ( 720 P ) HiDef clip. The bit rate is about 6 megabits/Sec.

Last time I shared a clip, the users swamped my usual free server, so this time I'm hosting it from a slow server. It's 13 megabytes.

Use an FTP program of recent vintage to get the clip. The IP address is
66.215.12.204 and set the port number to 888
( the standard port is 21 )
Sometimes you can express that as 66.215.12.204:888
The user name is gg and the password is demo2. If the server is busy, try later.
If you can't ftp, I can email you a link to a fast server.

Comments and feedback welcomed!
Thanks!
-Les
Les Dit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 01:09 AM   #2
Major Player

Could you post the link please?
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 01:19 AM   #3
Major Player

link

I don't want to post a link, because last time I did a demo, the 24 meg file was downloaded over a hundred times by 'looky loos', and I overflowed my bandwidth limit!

People can email me at lesd at earthlink period net, put GG demo in the subject.

Or try the ftp. Some FTP clients don't work, but most modern ones do. Port 888 is essential to specify.
I recommend BulletproofFTP or maybe WSFtp.

-Les

<<<-- Originally posted by Dan Diaconu : Could you post the link please? -->>>
Old February 1st, 2005, 01:28 AM   #4
Major Player

Tried that sh** using several FTP methods. No go. Weak. Oh well. Back to better things.
Steev Dinkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 01:30 AM   #5
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Steev Dinkins : Tried that sh** using several FTP methods. No go. Weak. Oh well. Back to better things. -->>>

Are you 63.202.186.85 ?
I don't know how to help Mac users.

I'll gladly upload it, or provide an emailed link to the wmv.
Old February 1st, 2005, 02:17 AM   #6
Major Player

I just downloaded from your link you sent via email. Conceptually it looks impressive. There's a lot of banding in the video probably due to Windows Media compression. Any moving element design is impressive to me since I have no inclinations or expertise regarding inventing a moving GG design. Of course you are about to get pelted with a million questions from people.

What does it look like? Can you post pics of the unit? Does it use batteries? Is there speed adjust? What camera is your test using? What type of 35mm lenses are compatible? When will there be footage without the Vignetting? When do you anticipate it being for sale? What type of video cameras will be compatible. And the biggie - what about an XL1/XL2 solution?

Congrats on getting as far as you have. Not a simple endeavor.
Steev Dinkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 02:22 AM   #7
Major Player

I have no clue how to view it.

But you need to come up with a website or have someone host the clip because once you posted it here of course everyone wants to see it.
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 02:00 PM   #8
Major Player

Answering a few questions:

Q:What does it look like?

It is a tube 3.5 " diameter . Pretty small. The insides are made from a 0.75 " thick piece of CNC machined filled Nylon type materal, or Delrin. There are 6 miniture ball bearings in there,as well as other mechanical components .

Q: Can you post pics of the unit?

Yes, I'm doing a slight design change for my first customer, I can post pictures of that unit.

Q: Does it use batteries?
Four AA or AAA batteries. low-cost batteries with the batteries on the outside for easy changing.Not pretty, but very practical. Buy a 40 pack at Costco!

Q: Is there speed adjust?
Yes

Q: What camera is your test using?
JVC HD10

Q: What type of 35mm lenses are compatible?
Its flexible. It all depends on what lens mount is on the front. If a customer has a peculiar lens mount they can send it and I will integrate it. the groundglass is 40 mm by 27 mm usable aperture.

Q: When will there be footage without the Vignetting?
Should be by next week.

Q: When do you anticipate it being for sale?
I've sold one already! I anticipate making a few more this month.I've spent countless hours on this, but I'm not really making it into a business per se. I just like to recoup some of my expenses. I'll give a discount to those who promised to send me a video they made with the device!

Q What type of video cameras will be compatible. And the biggie - what about an XL1/XL2 solution?

At this point, I'm not sure I want to make it a camera specific device. I'm looking for direction in this area. It's not hard to integrate different lens amounts, or attach the unit to some kind of rail system. again, I'm looking for input. Perhaps if there is a great need for a certain camera, I can make some for that specifically. Since a lot of you are able to do certain things yourselves, I'm thinking, you might be satisfied with the core component being solved. to That's the part most people have been struggling with.

>Congrats on getting as far as you have. Not a simple endeavor. -->>>

thank you!
For those of you having difficulty with the FTP (most), just send me an e-mail, and I'll send you a link to a high-speed server with the 13MB video. Would you guys also like a high bid rate MPEG-2 version?

-Les
Old February 1st, 2005, 03:20 PM   #9
Major Player

Personally there isn't much to comment on besides the fact that you do have a successful attempt at DOF. Other than that, I would need to see the project further along with the hot spot gone and an in the field test.

Great start, hope to see more footage soon.
Kyle Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 03:30 PM   #10
Major Player

Really looks nice so far. Keep us updated! How much noise does this make when on at full speed and at low speed?

What are you using for a GG?
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 03:40 PM   #11
Major Player

groundglass

thanks for the feedback,
right now I'm just using a generic groundglass. The groundglass is not very important when you start moving it substantially, as the defects disappear. On the last part of the clip, you can see how coarse the groundglass seems when the motion comes to a halt.
the 720 P resolves it quite well. At DV resolution it would be even less of a concern, naturally.
As far as sound, there is definitely a slight whirring sound.This device has no belts in it currently, but I think I will go back to a belt drive, because they are more silent.
-Les
Old February 1st, 2005, 11:30 PM   #12
New Boot

You should use RapidShare or YouSendIt, both of which will host the file on their own servers.

http://www.rapidshare.de/en/main.html

http://s3.yousendit.com/
Michael Ogasawara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2005, 12:46 AM   #13
Major Player

Download it here also:

Thanks to Michael I also uploaded the clip in this location:
http://rapidshare.de/files-en/496786...y_Les.wmv.html
---(click on the button near the bottom of the page)----

It only lets one person downloaded at a time, I believe.
I've obtained a suitable condenser lens, I hope to upload a clip with the hotspot minimized soon.
-Les
Old February 3rd, 2005, 08:40 PM   #14
Major Player

new HD demo video version

just a slight update:

I added a condenser lens which helped the hotspot somewhat. I'll try experimenting with different lens positions and spacings to minimize the problem some more.

This time, I have a nine megabit/sec Windows media 9 file, as well as a MPEG version for those who may have trouble with WMV formatted videos. The MPEG version shows some flickering, which is not in the media 9 file. It is not a function of the ground glass or the mechanism. You can see the groundglass at the end of the video when the groundglass stops moving.

The link for the Windows media file:
http://rapidshare.de/files-en/511871...y-Les.wmv.html

The link for the MPEG file, at a lower bit rate:
http://rapidshare.de/files-en/512069...y-Les.mpg.html

Again scroll to the bottom of the screen and click a button to download the file on this free server.

Both of the video files are 1280 by 720 pixels. Older computers won't play the media 9 file smoothly.
I'm planning on selling this device for less than $500.
-Les
Old February 3rd, 2005, 08:49 PM   #15
Major Player

You lost me. Went to Rapid Share, there is no download, just a FREE button and then wait 20 seconds - do you have to sign up just to dl?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods