do i need a new camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old February 14th, 2005, 08:22 AM   #1
New Boot

do i need a new camera

quick question...
I have a canon L2, the quality is pretty decent..but im thinking about getting a dvx100a. An adapter is a must.
do i really need a top of the line camera if im gonna use the adapter? 3k is a lot of money for me to dish out. plus i have a lens for the canon with a built in macro that is super powerful.
-so should i get the dvx for use with an adapter system or will it be overkill? will it give me the same output as the canon l2 when used with the adapter?

1st rule of fight club...don't talk about fight club.
2nd rule of fight club...don't talk about the Matrix.
Justin Neri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 08:54 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

In your case you will have to decide what is important for you
etc. In any case you can ofcourse build an adapter for this camera
first and see if you can make it happen and it works good enough.

Then you can always upgrade your camera. Keep in mind that a
camera or a lens system is not the major component in making
a good (looking) movie, contrary to popular beliefs it seems.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 09:29 AM   #3
New Boot

that is very true. its about how you execute your idea. i just want to get the sharpest clear picture i can. so i can have more choices in post. and the old analog canon ads more steps in getting the video to post.. i think the dvx is so hyped...im sure its great and all.. but i think its become this magical thing that everyone is after..

Old February 14th, 2005, 10:28 AM   #4
Major Player

DVX is a great camera, but it is not the 24fps magic pill that everyone is after. We shot a feature using it and yes is looks cool - it is not video and it is not film, it is somewhere in between. Sometimes on TV you can see when they switch between camera and use the DVX - it doesn't look like film, but it throws you off because it doesn't look like video either. It is a different kind of animal IMHO.

The Panasonic GS400 is a good camera. Sony has some new under $1500.00 camera coming out and let's not forget Canon under $1500.00 with the Optura series. All good cameras that will get your what you want - directing/filming movies.

The Canon XL2 is supposed to be good as well. As with anything Justin, film with what you have - and then if you put up some videography gigs or get some funding, go and buy a new camera. But don't buy a camera because you think it will make you a better shooter.
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 10:34 AM   #5
New Boot

good tip...thanks...
has anyone had any experience with the Canon L2...it is old but im starting to grow fond of it.

now when using these cameras with a min35 adapter will i get the same results...do all the new advancements really matter when filming that small image on the ground glass?

Old February 14th, 2005, 11:30 AM   #6
Major Player

First: if you get a DVX you will want to make a high quality adapter. It doesn't make much sense to throw a crappy adapter in front of a 3K camera.

Second: The DVX is great. With an adapter it truly looks like film. Honestly, very impressive.

The DVX will give you a much better image than the L2. Whether you notice this significantly will depend on the quality of your adapter. You will CERTAINLY notice the difference if you have a good quality adapter. Just the fact that you can use progressive scan will make a big difference in resolution. 540 lines vs 300 or so for an interlaced camera.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 11:43 AM   #7
New Boot

my theory too is, why mess around with old junk.. if you are gonna do it, do it right.. can anyone recommend a place that has the dvx for cheaper than b&h...one that has a reputation like b&h..i live in pa.. i would love to drive to the place i buy one instead of just getting it shipped..

do any of them offer financing? thanks for your help.

Justin Neri is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods