Micro35 Footage! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old March 12th, 2005, 02:55 PM   #31
Major Player

Richard, pls asap - we want to see it

Pls. start a new thread so we don't miss it - call it something like "film shoot footage with micro 35" or something - thanks!

Mark
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2005, 04:32 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Scott, they have an OCT-19 mount which is the Russian answer to the PL mount. They are all F1.4 lenses, have no breathing issues, and pulling focus is a smooth as glass. They are, after all, cine primes. ;)

I appeared to loose about 2 f-stops through the Micro35, which is what I expected. The key light was a diffused, bounced 500w at about 6' from the subject and I had plenty of light. The handheld meter read F4. The cine lens was set wide open as was the iris on the DVX100A.

Hope those were helpful answers.
Old March 15th, 2005, 06:24 AM   #33
Major Player

any footage yet? any more pics?

Hi guys - just wondering how it's all going - guess you guys are still picking your dropped jaws off the floor now that you're starting to look at the footage....?

pls. give us something - we want our jaws to drop too.

thx!
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 03:52 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Rich, Larry, this is DJ from the santuary. I also am waiting around for that footage. Any luck? :-p
Daniel Skubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2005, 12:55 PM   #35
Regular Crew

16:9 footage?

Hey, I was just curious what the best way would be to acquire 16:9 footage using this adaptor. Is there someway to use an anamorphic adaptor with it? Or--is cropping the only method.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with Andromeda. But basically it gets 4:4:4 images out of the DVX100 and can upscale them to 720p HD. Would using this system with the micro35 end up showing a lot of grain on the footage? Thanks.

Matthew Overstreet
Matthew Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2005, 11:13 PM   #36
New Boot

currently I am aware of a third party trying to develop an anamorphic for it, but I am not aware of if it will be a production unit or not, possibly just a personally crafted mechanism
Ryan Hamblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 10:29 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Clips from The Ancient

OK, boys and girls. The clips are ready. We all need to give it up for Richard. That poor guy is working his fanny off on several projects at one time. Things finally worked out so that he could post the clips and frame grabs.

The only correction done to the clips was turning them right side up. They will be tweaked for the final project, but they are posted as they were recorded. Except for the upside down thing.

Like the rest of the project, they were shot at 60I in the 4:3 aspect ratio. The mood for the scene was intentionally dark. Not only because the story call for it. We were shooting in the lobby of a tattoo parlor and didn't want to show the artwork on the walls (see the pic of Tim with the Micro35 rig to see what I mean). So we put up a canvas portrait background. We didn't want the viewers to see that either. How many coroners have a portrait studio in their lab? So we flagged off the light striking the background.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Submitted for your approval, here in the Micro Zone:

http://www.americanmovieworks.com/Mi...cro35clips.htm
Old March 17th, 2005, 10:51 AM   #38
Major Player

Just curious, but why did you shoot 60i?
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:02 AM   #39
Regular Crew

I like the shallow dof... I'm a little concerned with the blending between the high contrasts of tha man's arm and the black background. It's sort of hazing... But other than that, I think that footage looks really good
Daniel Skubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:08 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Most of the project was shot over a weekend back in September. There were 4 crews shooting 4 different camera brands/models simultaneously at 4 different locations around town. The producers decided to shoot 60I at 4:3 because some of the cameras couldn't shoot 16:9 and only my DVX100A could shoot 24P.
Old March 17th, 2005, 12:45 PM   #41
Regular Crew

What about attaching a DVX100 anamorphic adaptor to the DVX lens, and then fitting the micro35 to the anamorphic adaptor? Would that work? I guess there might be complications, but would it be easy to workaround?

On another note, I found some anamorphic lenses that fit to an OCT-19 mount, I guess those would be good to use. However, they seemed to cost a lot of money, so I don't know.

Matthew Overstreet
Old March 17th, 2005, 12:58 PM   #42
New Boot

well actually with the oct-19 mount the anamorphics you will be using on that will not give you the proper squeeze ratio you need to handle it in post.

the way the adapter is currently designed It is no possible to use the pana ana with it.
Ryan Hamblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 10:33 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Thanks for the information. Now--I'm wondering, if you can't use a pana anamorphic adaptor, How does a normal film production do it? Do you think there are 35mm lenses that have anamorphic adaptors that fit them? Sorry if that is a stupid question, but I'm not too familiar with cine lenses and all that.

Matthew Overstreet
Old March 18th, 2005, 12:09 AM   #44
New Boot

35mm format anamorphic

-I have seen anamorphic adaptors online for SLR lenses. Unfortunately, I can't remember where.

-A really expensive option would be to buy anamorphic cine lenses.

- In theory, the anamorphic adaptor for the GL-1 would work if you could figure out how to mount it on to the SLR lens.

-I'm sure Century optics would make you one if they don't already. Although, it may not work for all SLR lenses.
Martin Hesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2005, 12:33 AM   #45
Major Player

Amazing! i'm sold!

Wow, great stuff, Larry - I'm sold on the micro 35... I'm not seeing any ground glass, etc. and I believe the results will be even better using Sony HDV, which is much more forgiving in low light and has higher resolution...

Incredible. Really gives you something you can't get with mini-dv otherwise...

Great stuff - thanks for posting!

Mark
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods