Micro35 Footage! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old February 21st, 2005, 11:59 PM   #1
Micro35

Micro35 Footage!

Post your Micro35 footage here.

http://www.micro35.com/progress_footage.htm
James Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2005, 11:55 AM   #2
Micro35

Photos from a Micro35 flick!

I just received some photos of the Micro35 being used by my buddies over at lunaticfringepictures.com. This is from a feature called "The Ancient". It is produced by Necroscopic Unlimited (www.spellcaster.addr.com) in association with American Movie Works.

www.micro35.com/oct19/micro35meter1.jpg
www.micro35.com/oct19/micro35_tim.jpg

Thanks guys!!

James
James Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:38 PM   #3
Major Player

James, amazing - you should get them to post

The second site has a bit of info on the film but alas, very limited so far and nothing yet about the adaptor - you should get them to post a comment or two either here or as article on your site where they can talk about how it all went down...!

I'm guessing they'd have good things to say!

It would be cool to get some direct feedback from filmmakers about how they feel about YOUR solution...

and that brings up a very interesting point:

A lot of people here have posted their musings on such an adaptor system ranging back to the original posts by Agus, etc. Great work has been done by many like Bob Hart et al. to advance the development here - but correct me if I'm wrong - are you not the first one here to actually have built a working system that OTHERS (ie. indie filmmakers) have been able to take advantage of?

Others have built/designed systems for primarily their own use - well, that's terrific to show that it can be done. But James, really, you deserve a bit of special recognition for being so willing to not just help yourself... I still can't believe how cool your philosophy is - the Guide and all...

Thank you for that - us filmmaker types applaud you - think of us as the "Kirk" to your "Scotty":

"Scotty, I don't care what you need to do to those dilithium crystals - we need shields up! Get us out of here!"

Or something like that.

Well, James, what can I say?

Beam me up!
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2005, 11:50 PM   #4
New Boot

Cant see the pics

Edit: Seems to be working now. Looks nice!
Humby Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2005, 11:20 AM   #5
Regular Crew

James what lcd monitor do they have that is on top of the DVX?
P.O. Box 42
Times Square Station
New York, NY 10108
Ernest Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 12:24 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Ernest,

That's my rig in the photo. The LCD monitor is made by TV One. It has 2 inputs and a really handy button that allows you to turn the image upside down, which makes it perfect for use with the Micro35.

Hope that helps,

Larry
Larry McKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 12:43 AM   #7
Major Player

Link, please

Larry, a quick Google search turns up nada on that monitor. Can you direct me to it?

EDIT: Nemmine, I found it.
John Sandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 12:46 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Mark, here is a quick rundown of how the shoot went.

Tim Sanders was directing the scene. He whipped out his trusty director's finder and decided a 35mm lens was best for the first setup. I mounted a 35 and we blocked the shot.

I set the 35 wide open to F1.4. The coroner's character was roughly 6 feet away from the camera. A victim lay on the examination table just in front of the coroner. A second victim lay on a table another 6 feet behind the coroner. The shallow depth of field of the wide open 35mm lens worked beautifully. You could see there was a victim behind coroner, but you couldn't tell he was made of Styrofoam.

On another setup, we used the 35mm lens again. We needed to rack focus from a pair of twitching feet on one actor to the rising head of another actor. They were situated about 10 feet apart. We started with the feet in focus and while the camera floated toward the second mark, we racked to the head which was about 16" from the camera lens. It was another great shot.

For another setup, Tim chose an 18mm lens. Again, I set it wide open to F1.4. I was amazed that even a lens as wide as that could offer a depth of field as shallow as it did.

Of course, setting a lens to wide open is not the best choice for every shot. But, hey, I was playing and it worked just fine for those shots.

The Micro35 appears to offer another bonus that I had not expected. There seems to be an absence of the sharp edge that runs along an object that screams video. In the scenes we shot, the background was kept dark, so that may have masked the video edge. I plan to shoot more tests this week to make sure, but it will be great if that is indeed the case.
Old March 8th, 2005, 12:59 AM   #9
Regular Crew

John, I bought mine from Brad at American Media Solutions in Houston. His number is 281.277.4000. It is the model LM-681M 6.8" LCD monitor.

Good luck.
Old March 8th, 2005, 01:00 AM   #10
Tourist

cool deal...i should have a ton of pix up on the site in the next few dyas...the lens rocked......

Tracy

Tracy Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 11:20 PM   #11
Major Player

www.tvone.com is where I think you can find more info on it.
Brian Valente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 12:50 AM   #12
Major Player

Larry et al. - thanks for your replies

Wow, so cool to get some actual user feedback - this is tremendous - Larry, can you comment on the footage? Anyone? This is sounding so cool - wish you guys can offer a short clip sometime!
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 01:43 AM   #13
Major Player

Larry - what kind of lenses were you using? Thanks for the info, very helpful to have a real example.
Brian Valente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 01:45 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Mark, here is what the editor at American Movie Works had to say when I sent him the footage, "I thought the clips had a lot of depth to them that I don't see in normal DV. "

He knows there are people wanting to see samples, so hopefully he will get time soon to post a clip or two on the AMW site.

As a side note, I made a clone of the footage to show local filmmakers. I took it by to show one of them today. He is usually down on DV. He likes BetaCam SP or better. But, when he saw the footage, he was pumped. It was really fun to see the look on his face as watched the screen. He kept talking about how cinematic it looked. He already has a project he wants me to shoot with the Micro35.
Old March 9th, 2005, 01:52 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Brian, I was shooting with Lomo high speed primes. They were made in the former Soviet Union in the same plant where the USSR made the lenses for their spy satellites. They are on a par with Cooke and Zeiss, but nowhere near the cost.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods